MDF ok for rail and stiles?

Why build them at all?

NuWaveDave

Be aware that not all mdf is created equally, and certainly a top quality, and sharp, router bit would be required.

I would look for a "mill" near you that supplies trim to the building industry and see if they can either supply you with top quality mdf, or tell you where they get theirs.

If you were in the Houston area, I would recommend The Detering Co, on Washington avenue. Strictly as a go by, here is their website as an illustration of what kind of company you would be looking for in your area:

Swingman

But at those prices for the mdf doors you're right if mdf is what you want and don't want to be bothered.

Reply to
Swingman

Reply to
trs80

Seal the cut edge with glue size, drywall compound, or shellac before you sand it.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Reply to
trs80

good tips all. thanks!

Reply to
trs80

Automotive glazing putty (laquer based) is nice and quick. Cheap and tough too. A wee bit harder to sand..but quite workable. Ready to go in a tube.

Reply to
Robatoy

"Heirloom quality" Now there is a description that means nothing.

An Heirloom does not have to be a quality piece. An heirloom is something that has simply been a family possession handed down from generation to generation. I have a 16 lb sledge hammer badly rusted and with a cracked handle that is an heirloom.

Reply to
Leon

The trick is to stabilize the " fuzzies". After cutting and or routing apply a primer or shellac and then lightly sand to smooth the surface.

Reply to
Leon

Yup, got a couple on speed dial. I hardly ever bother making doors any more. I e-mail the style number and size..to the verifiable millimetre, and wait 10 days. I can even get them pre-finished to my exact requirement. Most importantly, at a price which I can't even begin to touch.

I walk in with one of Caron's incredible brochures, and out come the cheque-books.

guys have taken the 'going green' to a new level. Fabulous people.

For a lower cost MDF-style product:

right in my back yard.

Both of these guys will ship to USA and beyond. (Shameless plugs)

Robatoy

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com...

Thanks for all the replies, everyone! Next time I need to work with MDF I'll try out your suggestions.

-Nathan

Reply to
N Hurst

For "real wood" projects? ~:o)

Dave in Houston

Reply to
NuWaveDave

Au contraire ... mdf _is_ "real wood" ... just ask Mattress Mac, or any furniture store salesman. ;)

Thanks for that link, BTW ... I passed it on to a past customer who was in the shop yesterday, and who, while looking to build his own doors, was looking for me to tell/advise him how to do it.

That oughta take care of that! ;)

Reply to
Swingman

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com...

Thanks for all the replies, everyone! Next time I need to work with MDF I'll try out your suggestions.

-Nathan

Reply to
N Hurst

Reply to
trs80
8 poplar doors = $550. vs 2 sheet MDF = $50 30bdft poplar = $75 My time = PRICELESS

Reply to
trs80

Spend the extra $25 and get the poplar. Easy choice, IMO.

Reply to
bf

As much as I like MDF for certain uses, the poplar will be much more enjoyable to work.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Except that the yield from 2 sheets of MDF is 64 ft vs. 30 for the poplar. The poplar would cost in excess of $150 for the equivalent amount.

Reply to
Leon