McFeely's

Page 1 of 5
I placed an order online using their catalog which shows a Lynchburg, VA, address. Everything went fine and the lag screw and washers arrived within a day of when I expected them. I don't need them until tomorrow so a day late was no big deal. I did not pay any attention to the package and it went into the burn barrel this morning.
In today's mail, I received an invoice for the order with a $0.00 balance. I don't recall this ever happening before.
Upon closer examination of the invoice, I find that they (McFeely's) have an address in Janesville, Wisconsin. Upon further digging around onthe web site, I find that they are a division of Lab Safety Supply, Inc., with a Madison WI, address
A review ofthe UPS tracking on the order also verifies that they are now shipping from Wisconsin.
It looks like they sold out or got sucked up.
I sure hope that we don't see any changes in products or policy. __________________ Bill Waller New Eagle, PA
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net
I did a little more digging.
http://www.labsafety.com/aboutus/pressrel.htm#mcfeely __________________ Bill Waller New Eagle, PA
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

If this means I'll be able to buy McFeely screws by walking into the Grainger store that's less than ten minutes from home *and* open Saturdays, it sounds good to me.
--
Regards,

That's exactly what I was thinking - I haven't used McF's screws, but I'd be much more likely to try them if I could pick up a small quantity locally without paying shipping. Andy

Define "small quantity." :-)
You're not likely to find them at Grainger's in any quantity less than a box of a hundred. To some, that *is* a small quantity; to others, it's not.
--
Regards,

Yes, a box of 100 would be great. Even one of their variety packs, 100 each of a few different sizes, would be fine. I realize that trying to buy 10 screws or something would be just about impossible... I was just hoping for home handyman quantities, not commercial cabinetmaker quantities. Any educated guesses whether Grainger will sell McF's screws through their retail stores? Or how separate do they tend to keep the companies they acquire? Thanks, Andy

what I wanted. They had homeowner quanties of one to a box of 100. I walked out with 3 boxes of different sizes. If I finsih any project all the screws wil be gone and a need for a few more boxes. If you live in a town with a good hadware store they may have what you need or can make do with.

Sure, but try finding *any* square-drive screws at your local hardware store, let alone a box of a hundred. That's what McFeely's specializes in.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

That, and screws that don't snap off at the slightest over-torque. Actually, I've had orange box screws snap off after being lubricated and driven into pre-drilled holes before they bottom out.

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 20:15:45 -0700, Mark & Juanita

I have suffered that with lag bolts that floated across an ocean to my job site.
I guess if you think square drive is the cat's meow then your local hardware store may not be the place for you. That said the local hardware store will likely never be the place to go compared to an industrial fastners supply house. I have driven a block from the hardware store to the fastners store to get bolts. I do not know the country of origin of McFeely's fastners but the fastener store sources from all those wonderful over seas factories. So far they have had what I wanted in a quality sufficient for my tasks. But I have not gone off on a specialty screw hunt. McFeely's certainly looks like an easier shopping place than other places.
"Jim Behning" wrote:

SFWIW, if you are looking for S/S fasteners, they all come in from offshore.
Lately, it has been India.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

I don't think it is so much the point of origin but the quality control and quality specs that drive the price the importing company is willing to pay. Those places that advertise low prices are willing to accept much more marginal performance; sometimes to the point that the product becomes worthless or nearly worthless for its intended application.

I'm a big user of screws . . . vs. nails. Predominately this means SS, followed by Bronze , then McFeeley's 'Yellow Zinc' - with a '100-hour Salt Spray test' - followed by the more 'common' coated steel. I have tried to convert completely to 'square drive' for good, solid, mechanical reasons. They are even used for 'land-based' & 'home' projects.
That being said, it took me some time to arrive at this stage. I absolutely HATE paying shipping charges . . . especially when they go up by steep increments. Plus this stuff is HEAVY. I've had very good service from McFeeley's - hopefully this will continue. I plan ahead on my orders and get 'efficient quantities'. I WILL check with Grainger . . . there used to be a local 'office' in a nearby industrial park.
Regards & Thanks, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop
Doug Miller wrote:

No problem, they're right there on the shelf...what you need?

Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

Not that I'm aware of...

the local hardware store?
--
Regards,
On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 21:16:24 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I don't have any love/fascination with robertson screws. I use them if I can get them but I do not seek them out. So ignore any comments I have about McFeely's if one feels that McFeely's is a synonym for robertson screws. I can use hex drive screws for some things, regular old phillips head screws for others, the universal phillips/square drive for other tasks. If I come across robertson screws at the store and it lets me do a project then great.

I don't know about dbp but the local Ace hardware...in southern Wisconsin...has them...a pretty good asortment of sizes and materials...including some stainless ones.
Mike
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in
<snippage>

I'm not who you asked, but my local Do It Best Hardware, a true value to the community. has many styles and grades of square drive screws, and drivers, too.
And parking right in front. And help that knows what they're talking about, and where to find the stuff. And knows my name, too.
Although Peter hasn't asked about my sister, lately. ;-)
Third generation in the business, and the fourth generation is learning, too. Girls!
Patriarch