Marking Guage Poll

Page 1 of 2
I am conducting a poll (very scientific poll) on marking guages. Pin, knife or wheel style. Please vote (ounce). Results to follow.
http://garagewoodworks.com/gw_blog /
Once, not ounce. :^(

gauge, not guage. ;^)

Damit! Thank you. Corrected.
GarageWoodworks wrote:

Damn it, not damit... :)

I wuz nevar good at speling. :^|

I understand that dammit is now socially acceptable. Dagnabbit is allowed as well. GollyGeeWillikers is still tabu.

I understand that dammit is now socially acceptable. Dagnabbit is allowed as well. GollyGeeWillikers is still tabu.
Taboo, not tabu.

Where's LRod when you need him?
-Zz
GarageWoodworks wrote:

If you haven't, try the Veritas or Tite-Mark wheel gauges. They both lock down tightly, but the Tite-Mark has the advantage of being able to operate the fine-adjust with one hand. Both of them have A2 wheels, which means they stay sharp for a long time.
Chris

feature is very appealing. On the shop-fox I own, the fence will move with too much force. Th knife style gauge own is made of rosewood so the thumb screw really tightens down good against the wood. If it locks down tightly like you said, I might give it a try. Thanks
GarageWoodworks wrote:

The Veritas tightens like a router collet, so it compresses uniformly against the shaft. I like the microadjust, but save a few bucks and get the one without graduations.
The TiteMark uses a pointed thumbscrews that lock into a V-groove in the shaft.
Chris

Chris- Do you have a link for the Veritas? I might be looking at the wrong model.
GarageWoodworks wrote:

Here's the Veritas one. It's available in standard and micro-adjust, as well as graduated/non-graduated:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&pY455&cat=1,42936
Chris

Yep, that's the one I was checking out. It looks like it has a regular thumb screw, but I guess it's made differently than my piece of crap. Ok, I'm sold. I have been very happy with Veritas so far. Those Canadians sure do know a thing or two about woodwerk'n. :)
GarageWoodworks wrote:

On the microadjust version, you first lock the rear of the body against the shaft using the knurled nut at the back end of the head. This locks using a router collet style compression fitting. You then turn the front part of the body relative to the back of the body for fine adjustment. The fine adjustment locks with the thumbscrew.
One thing to watch out for on all the versions with a circular body...make sure they don't roll off your bench! I wish they'd machined one or two flats on the rim to prevent this (or made it oval like their 3-in-1 gauge).
Chris

Thanks Chris.

Minor correction, at least if you are talking about this one http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,42936&pP440 which I own, it is not oval. It stays on the bench by virtue of the rod being mounted off-denter in the circular bearing disc.
I still prefer my old simple pin type, with knife-sharpened pin. My complaint with the 3-in-1 is that the natural place to grip it is also the tightening mechanism, and I find myself inadvertently loosening it.
OP: Alf's review of wheel-type marking gauges at the link below is the best I have found.
http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?tA10

alexy wrote:

Yes, that's the one I meant. Goes to show how long I've been working on renovation projects rather than fine woodworking.
Chris

Nice link! Thank you.