Maple work bench question

I need to attach a 8/4 X6" maple skirt to the 1 3/4 butcherblock top. Along the length and the ends. I was going to glue and screw the long edges, but the top was oiled so i don't think that glue will hold. Will bolts with dowel nuts every 12" be enough. For the end caps I was going to use splines with bolts and dowel nuts. I was going to drill oversize holes for the bolts for expansion. Any better ideas welcome. Keith
--------------50020FEE9EFE973B663EFA9C Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; x-mac-type="54455854"; x-mac-creator="4D4F5353" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Keith, On the sides of my just-completed workbench, I used 1/4" X 5" stainless steel hex-head lag screws 12" apart with a SS washer and the head countersunk below the face of the board. On the ends, I used the same but only one lag screw in the center of the edge of the laminated top. For potential disassembly reasons, I did not put plugs in the holes. I used Tennessee Black Walnut for the skirt boards because I already had it. Hoyt
keith wrote:

--------------50020FEE9EFE973B663EFA9C Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
--------------50020FEE9EFE973B663EFA9C--
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (keith) wrote in message

Keith,
Done the very same thing...I used sliding dovetail joints cut on the router table and with a straight edge. I machined the side pieces on the router table cutting the male dovetail with a 3/4" 14 degree dovetail bit. Then used a straight edge clamp and cut the female on the under side of the bench and slid them together. Used biscuits and glued on the two end pieces. Worked very well and has held up to daily use for over three years now.
Good luck, Mike from American Sycamore www.americansycamoreretreat.com