Makita slide miter Saw

Was wondering if any of you guys own a Makita Ls1214 12" dual slide compound miter saw . I found a brand new one for around $300.00. I am thinking maybe I should get it.. The price sounds great..It sure would come in handy cutting 12 " shelves, crown,trim and more . It looks pretty heavy, maybe to heavy to load and unload on the job site . In the shop I think it would be real good tool to have. What do you guys think of this Makita?? Tom
Tom M wrote:

would
the
think
I have th LS1013 10 inch version and it's a great saw. $300 is a steal.
Better jump on it.
Make damn sure it will cut true. The last several Makitas i have used were 12" sliders (LS1212? maybe) and were absolute garbage. Could't cut a straight line and the fence was unable to be adjusted any more to fix the problem. (I just hate Makita tools anymore, so i have a biased opinion.) However, the older Makita's with the single tube rail were very good saws, probably the best Makita's ever done in the world of miter saws, if you can find one. --dave

Mine works great, took some minor adjustment out of the box. the fence is kind of short but it hasn't been a problem. $300 is a great deal as they are usually closer to $600
Andrew

Thanks Guys for your input. I picked up the last one they had yesterday. It was $315.00 + tax. It looks like it is worth that.. I would have not paid $600. I will tinker with it for a few days checking it out, and if it won't do what I need it to do, then I can take it back. Northern Tool sold all they had left in on day at that price.. They are going to DEWALT now..a faster seller they said. Tom

Just for fun I checked. It is still a current item for $629. You suck.

I have a Makita 10" sliding compound miter saw. It's on it's second base; the pivot pin wears into the hole cast into the aluminum base, making the pivot hole oblong and sloppy. Impossible to make clean cuts when the point around which everything is supposed to reference, is moving.
Turn it upside down; if there's not a bushing or bearing around that pin, don't buy it. I'm going to spend some quality time with the milling machine and make mine right, but you shouldn't have to re-engineer something to get it to work well. If they haven't fixed the design, buy a Dewalt or something.
Dave Hinz