Getting fine spray finish w/heavy paints

I am looking to get a spray gun that will produce a fine, furniture-quality, finish with heavy paints (I am thinking latex, but am open to using other paints).

I saw in Home Depot a gun designed for heavy paints, but the tag said it needed something like a 5HP 20+Gal compressor. I could stomach the expense of gun+compressor especially since the compressor is multi-purpose, but I wouldn't want such a monster compressor taking up valuable space.

Guns I have tried on other projects: Wagner HVLP 2300 -- Single-stage HVLP. I like it, but won't do heavy stuff even though salesman said it would. Wagner 2000psi "buzz-gun" -- Does heavy paint, but not a high quality finish. Works for walls, fences, etc...

Any recommendations, or should I just go buy a bunch of cans of spray paint?

Thanks! Lee (Please reply to newsgroup)

Reply to
Lee S

You want a fine furniture-quality finish with latex paint??? Does that add up, with any paint for that matter?

Well really that is not a monster sized compressor. A 2 gallon compressor would probably take up 1/2 that space. You really need the CFM to maintain unless you are willing to take a break several times during a small paint job to let the compressor catch up.

IMHO you could build your own of better quality of "ANY" Wagner product.

If you buy a QUALITY Alkyd Oil based paint you can get excelent results with a good quality brush and a 1" dameter closed cell foam roller.

Reply to
Leon

To spray latex well with good atomization you'd be best served by air-assisted airless sprayers like the Kremlin, if you want the best. They provide an even better finish with oil paints, and the overspray is minimal compared to an HVLP setup. They're not all that practical for smaller projects, but they'll spray anything, thick or thin, with finesse.

Reply to
mp

You will sure get lots of advice on this one.

Latex - HVLP. This combination will require at least a 3 stage setup before you will be happy.

Latex - Airless. Made for each other, but lots of overspray, prep, and clean up.

Oil base - HVLP, Conversion gun, Conventional gun, airless, even a Cricket.

I prefer oil and a conversion HVLP. Least overspray, good control, good finish. I have an off brand wonderful. Fancy names: Sata, Binks, etc.

DanG

I worked on a painting crew in a factory many years ago, and the thing I remember about it is that we thinned the paint quite a bit. Granted, we weren't doing fine work, but the principle should be the same. Try a few highly thinned coats and see if you get the results you want.

Curt Blood

Reply to
CBlood59