Making a 70.6 cut on miter saw

Page 2 of 7
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

---------------------------------------- Simple, the answer is 1.
The only challenge is to define the units.<G>
BTW, use trigonometry not plane geometry if you truly want to minimize errors.
Lew
On 2/17/2010 9:08 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Are you sure we wouldn't be better off using SketchUp?
;-)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
"Morris Dovey" wrote:

-------------------------------------
I specialize in SketchDown.
Lew
On 2/17/2010 11:17 PM, Morris Dovey wrote:

Or CNC. What would either do without keyboards ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

My Ouija Board has a USB2 port.
On 2/18/2010 8:18 AM, Robatoy wrote:

My tape measures have wireless connections.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

*tips hat* . . . and then wonders why not and when?

You don't consider an accurate protracter a tool?
Tom

Does your accurat protractor have teeth to cut the wood??? He is looking for a tool to "make" the cut not measure the cut.

You use the protractor to set the miter gauge, then you use the table saw to make the cut. How complicated is that?
Tom
On 2/18/10 2:15 PM, Tom Dacon wrote:

The point is.... in the OP's original statement, which you quoted, he stated... "no tool that I know of, would allow you to make a precision cut like 70.6 degrees."
It seems to be obvious to most of us that he's referring to a cutting tool, not a measuring tool.
--

-MIKE-

On 2/18/2010 2:32 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
> The point is.... in the OP's original statement, which you quoted, he > stated... > "no tool that I know of, would allow you to make a precision cut like > 70.6 degrees." > > It seems to be obvious to most of us that he's referring to a cutting > tool, not a measuring tool.
Fercrissakes, quit clouding the issue with facts! <g>
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Let's go back to the OP's post:
Can't quite wrap my brain on how to tackle this.
I could make a template on my TS with my Wixey and then use it on the miter.
The miter only has 1 degree increments.
Suggestions?
ALL my comments apply.
Tom
On 2/18/10 11:17 PM, Tom Dacon wrote:

Then why didn't you quote that?
--

-MIKE-

Tom Dacon wrote:

Figure out the thickness of the block you have to put at one end of the fence to get .4 degrees, and put one there.

Mike, let's go back to the actual post:

The emphasis, of course, is mine, because he was just asking a question, not telling you how to think.
I'll stand by all comments I've made on this thread.
Tom
On 2/18/10 11:43 PM, Tom Dacon wrote:

Methinks the lady doth protesteth too much. :-)
--

-MIKE-

Have you ever set your TS miter gauge to 70.6 degrees?

If you solve the Hilbert problem, I will trust that you also know basic plane geometry & trig... ;)

A few miter gauges have a 1/10 degree vernier, so the precision is available (though perhaps not to 70 degrees, directly). What the accuracy of the gauge is, including miter slot slop, may be another matter.