looking for source of cheap square drive screws

Page 4 of 5
On 1/19/2012 8:58 AM, Swingman wrote:

LOL!
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
On 1/19/2012 8:58 AM, Swingman wrote:

I guess you have noticed that. LOL Color coded have been available for quite a few years now. Mose of mine from Mcfeeleys are color coded.
On 1/18/2012 6:27 AM, Leon wrote:

THE ANSWER
Taken from
http://www.instructables.com/id/When-a-Phillips-is-not-a-Phillips/step6/Square-Drive /
A "fresh" US square drive driver with a "real" Robertson screw head sticks so tightly that it can take a significant yank to get them disengaged.
I suspect that because many SD screws are imported from the Asian areas of the globe that Robertson stylescrews probably are copied and mixed with Square Drive screws.
Soooo apparently I am wrong about the Robertson being at fault however the Robertson is part of the resulting problem when the SD drive is used with a Robertson screw.

They probably switched over to the combo screws. http://goo.gl/lOiJf lots to choose from. http://goo.gl/pYoCt 1-5/8" only
-- The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold. -- Glenn Doman

HD and Lowes carry deck screws with star heads. HD has them at one extreme end of the screw area and Lowes usually has them in their own space somewhere near the nails. Each box comes with the start driver (a tiny one) and for some reason they have a few different sizes which can be a hassle. I have an Itsy setup from Rockler that has all the drivers I could want so I am usually good.

Do you mean Torx head screws? They are what I use for deck screws... far superior to Phillips in that they don't strip out easily even if you don't get the bit fully seated.
John
I'm looking for a low-cost screw -- not a deck screw. Just a basic drywall type screw with square drive.
The deck screws are much too expensive for what I need -- just a general purpose ww screw.
I will check the McFeely's $1 shipping.
On 1/17/2012 2:22 PM, kansascats wrote:

A drywall screw is NOT a general purpose WW screw. They are are much too light weight and brittle. Yes dry wall are marginally better than the cheesy screws that come in those 70 cent packages but many times less desirable than actual square drive wood screws.

Yeah, prob torx. I just never track nomenclature that closely. Looks like a start or asterick so I call it a star.
John Grossbohlin wrote the following:

They're not Torx. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx Square bits are square http://www.wihatools.com/700seri/718serie.htm
They are what I use for deck screws...

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

The discussion moved on to "star heads." Torx is exactly what they are.
I've got bits to drive Phillips, Torx, square, straight, Allan, straight slotted, and a couple different sizes of sheet metal screws for my drivers and I use them all!
John
I got some drivers for Torx and have turned a total of about 5 of them in my life. OTOH: I bet you don't have a Robertson driver bit and never see one of those screws either.
--------- "John Grossbohlin" wrote in message
The discussion moved on to "star heads." Torx is exactly what they are.
I've got bits to drive Phillips, Torx, square, straight, Allan, straight slotted, and a couple different sizes of sheet metal screws for my drivers and I use them all!
John

If you're differentiating between un-numbered square drive bits and numbered bits I'm pretty sure I've still got both... I source bits from various places and the ones I ordered with my "meat powered driver" were numbered but I may have worn them out!
John
Coloured handles only. Robertson never had a #2 bit.
(notice that "u" in "colored"? We added it to resolve the "n" word problem"
I been developing two sets lately. A set for the workshop and a set for lazy me when I don't feel like the 3m trek across the snow.
----------- "John Grossbohlin" wrote in message
If you're differentiating between un-numbered square drive bits and numbered bits I'm pretty sure I've still got both... I source bits from various places and the ones I ordered with my "meat powered driver" were numbered but I may have worn them out!
John

Yeller, green, red and black are the 4 common ones,

I've likely got 10 or 12 - and I've used them all - a LOT.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.earthlink.net says...

He probably means "Robertson."
says...

No... the post I responded to talked about "star head" screws... Everyone is taking this out of context as they didn't follow the thread!
John
On Jan 18, 9:20am, "John Grossbohlin"

Why bother reading what was actually posted when you shoot off your mouth with opinion and no facts. Hey, works for most of my posts.
It's a lot more fun that way, too!