looking for source of cheap square drive screws

If you deal with many Philips washer head drawer slide screws you know that the indentation in the screw head is shallow. This greatly increases cam out potential and these things tend to be a pretty cheaply made screw so they the heads strip out or break off pretty easily. When you are reaching and balancing on your knees a perfect fit between the bit and the screw are marginal at best.

Reply to
Leon

Back when the flat screws were very common, one of the guys that worked for my dad as an electrician used to drive the screws in with a hammer. He said the head was just to remove the screw.

Reply to
clare

That is usually the "plumber's screwdriver" joke!

-------- wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com... Back when the flat screws were very common, one of the guys that worked for my dad as an electrician used to drive the screws in with a hammer. He said the head was just to remove the screw.

Reply to
Josepi

Huh? Oh, bit sticks in screw and driver comes away? Yeah, then you learn that rolling the bit out of each screw can be of service and make it a habit.

Um, so you're bitching about them, WHY?

-- I have the consolation of having added nothing to my private fortune during my public service, and of retiring with hands clean as they are empty. -- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Count Diodati, 1807

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Heads breaking off and stripping out are usually either A) the result of an overtorque situation (so set your torque less on the driver) or B) the wrong bit for the screw or C) a bad angle on the drive. All are pretty easily corrected. When I see that happening to me, I usually try to pay a bit more attention to WTF I'm doing. ;)

-- I have the consolation of having added nothing to my private fortune during my public service, and of retiring with hands clean as they are empty. -- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Count Diodati, 1807

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Clueless?

Reply to
Leon

Yeah I just bought a few 1.5" drawer handle bolts with Phillips heads and they are pathetic for socket depth. It would seem in an attempt to keep the head thin they need to sacrifice a lot of depth in the socket.

Meanwhile you are usually putting them in on some odd angle, can't line your eye up with the screw (inside drawer). The clothes in the drawer are restricting you arm space and it's dark in the drawer. No wonder most of the drawer pull screw heads are catch hazards for the wife's satin / lace panties! hmmmm... maybe that's a distraction too??

Reply to
Josepi

Look in your phone book and see if you have a Fastenal store in your area. Kinda like having a local McFeeleys. Here is a reference:

't limit yourself to square drive, how about Torx? Stainless? Silicone bronze?

Reply to
DanG

"stores" aren't all that big.

Reply to
krw

Both in my immediate area sell to anyone with money and carry a god stock of the commoner stuff - and can order the esoteric stuff for next day. Also lucky enough to have Spae-Naur/Kemsies virtually in my back yard - with HUGE inventory of just about any fastener you could ask for.

Reply to
clare