Looking for router

Page 1 of 2
Popular Woodworking's November issue reviewed the Firestorm Plunge Router (FS122RP) and it sounded like a good option for my small shop. I
was able to find it on the Black and Decker website, but have not been able to find it anywhere for sale. Has anyone seen one of these anywhere? Even my e-mails to Black and Decker and Lowes have not been answered.
Thanks, Richard
Richard wrote:

Are you sure it is not the same as the FS1200RP available at Lowe's here:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId4883-79992-FS1200RP&lpage=none
If me I would look further for a router than anything from Black and Decker. Unless you want something to throw away next year or even less. If you try to sell that stuff, no one wants it and it is not really to good for more than a very occasional use. Sorry to be so cruel about Black and Deckers stuff . Check out Porter Cable, Dewalt, Old Milwaukee or my favorite Bosch.

Hmm. Three routers and a can of beer.
> Check out Porter Cable, Dewalt, Old Milwaukee or my favorite Bosch.

message
I thought Porter was some sort of beer as well?
Robatoy wrote:

message
Bosch doesn't make beer? They make everything else!

I second that notion. Firestorm is made for wives to get their husbands for Christmas. Not woodworker's wives, they know better. It's for the handyman's wife who doesn't even know what a router does.
It's not just a question of longevity, you won't get good results from it either. You'd think that a router is such a simple device; all it does is spin a bit. How can one be worth so much more than another? Just get your hands on a pro-quality machine to understand. If money is the main issue, I'd rather buy a good used router on Ebay than a Firestorm.
DonkeyHody "Every man is my superior in that I can learn from him." - Thomas Carlyle

I'm telling you. You won't be happy. I had one in my hands, and thought; "they oughta be held accountable for putting out such inferior junk. What I don't get, is that, as a brand, B & D must have a huge value. Why are they doing this?

That will give you some insight what their custome service will be like once something happens to it.
Buy a Hitachi M12V while they still make them. I have been beating the crap out of several of them and none have even hiccup'd under the stress. One I use for very accurate seaming joints in solid surface countertops and it has no measurable runout after 3 years. It gets used almost daily. They are under $200 US, and are a full 3.25 HP and soft start and variable speed and have a VERY powerful motor. It doesn't have the fit and finish of other serious routers, but it is good value, IMHO.
There's a saying around here: Cry once.
For my first router I would look for a smaller horsepower than 3 HP. for a hand held router that is a lot to hold. I rather use something that large in a table. That is me. For hand held 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 is big enough. I have a Porter Cable and a Bosch I do this with and they are both great great routers. I am not saying anything bad about the M12V I would buy one myslef if I could find one on ebay. But I would use it only in a router table.

Jerry Dickens wrote:

Some guy has 10 for sale: http://home.search.ebay.com/_Routers-Bits-Accessories_W0QQcatrefZC12QQsacatZ71305QQsassZbestdealQ5falways
Uh, yes I am hen pecked, I will have to talk to the wife about this. I sure would like to have one. I would also have to buy a new router plate for my table. I have my Porter Cable in there now. I will have to check on all this before talking to wife. Only want to have to do this once so I need to have all my facts before hand. :-) Oh thanks for the heads up!

http://home.search.ebay.com/_Routers-Bits-Accessories_W0QQcatrefZC12QQsacatZ 71305QQsassZbestdealQ5falways
Jerry Dickens wrote:

See, I disagree. If you're going to have one router, get one that does it all. It's physical size is not that much bigger than that B&D the OP was looking at. Also, it comes with a quality 1/2" bit and guide bushing. The one thing I like about it, it has great visibility under the motor, so you can keep a close eye on what you're doing in a hand-held situation. I think it is the perfect router for a beginner. I appreciate the 'handiness' of smaller routers ( I have several) but that's because there is no point in using a big router if all it is going to do is run a 1/4" roundover bit. The same rules of caution still apply to all routers, so why not get one which can actually DO some work?
I know that half of the Wreck is probably going to disagree, but I think that 3.25 HP is just the right amount of power.
Ever try to learn to waterski behind an underpowered boat? No fun. Zero.
First of all any descent woodworking nerd, has more than one router. As I see you do also. Second, for a first router, you don't want to scare the person away or scare them with fear from using such a powerful machine. SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY first always. Let the person learn with something they will not be afraid off. Third, yes the 1/2 collet is nice but most people do not have 1/2" router bits. Most have the 1/4". Fourth, My Bosch, my two old crapsman, and my Porter Cable have a good view when operating the router. So Hitachi does not have the market corned on that feature. Fifth, Happy Routing!!

large in

myslef
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net wrote:

Speak for yourself.
About 80% of my bits are 1/2", about 10-12% are 1/4", and the erst are 8mm.
The only time I'll buy a 1/4" shank bit is if I plan on using it in my laminate trimmer (ex:// small roundovers and chamfer bits), or it clearly makes no sense to buy the 1/2" shank (ex:// solid carbide 1/4" or smaller straight bit).
I do the same as you but the 10 or 15 other shops I have been in or garages making due as shops, in the router bit department are usually 1/4" diameter bits.
wrote:

router
8mm.

Yup, in fact, I am down to 7 routers.

I'd be afraid of that B&D. I think that when a new user applies all proper precautions, there will be no difference in safety between a big and small router. I tend to believe that if a router safety issue comes down to the wire, the heftier one will be safer. Its mass gives a certain amount of stability. Its mechanical impedence gives a cleaner cut than a lighter weight unit. I have a few Milwaukee routers. One is a 2 1/4 HP and has all the balls one would need for most hand-held jobs. It doesn't plunge, and shouldn't really run raised panel bits or 1-1/2 bullnose bits. One is a 1 3/4 HP unit, not variable speed, kick-start. It has only had one bit in it...it only does one job. It does it well and often. Then there is Milwaukee's Finest. Big Mama, being built into a table. The height can be adjusted from the top. I like that. I just bought it, so I haven't had a a chance to give it a serious workout. I will be making doors and stuff for a wall unit.. A job I took on for a friend..WTF was I thinking. LOL.

I have a collection of both 1/2 and 1/4. Totally different bits. I use the 1/4 in two laminate trimmers I have, both Ridgid..... here's one for you... I have a 1/4" shaft 5/16 roundover and a 1/2 shaft 5/16 roundover. Less chatter on the 1/2"...in the same router, but that could be the bit manufacturer and sharpness difference as well.

I hope I didn't imply that the Hitachi has the market cornered on visibility, I cetainly did not mean to.

You too... and be careful out there! r

Then go look for a good Porter Cable 690 series variable speed router. Not an 890 series. The 690 has been around for decades, it seems, and works well for almost everything, in my experience.
My first router was a 3.25 HP beast, now bolted into a table, where it works quite well. NOT a handheld joy to use.
Patriarch
Robatoy wrote:

They don't make them anymore...:-( Amazon is out of them, but there are a few available on eBay still. I just bought a couple, because I do not want to buy the Hitachi replacement...
I just checked Amazon and they have them as do several other places. They are also listed on Hitachi's site. I guess the factory hasn't heard the same thing that you have.

CW wrote:

Reheeely?
Have a look again: <URL:(Amazon.com product link shortened)63404474/ref=sr_1_5/104-1009094-6471921?ie=UTF8&s=hi> <URL:http://www.hitachi-koki.com/powertools/products/othercutting.html