Looking for recommendations/actual experiences with new windows - please no stupid questions!

Page 4 of 4

On Sun, 08 May 2005 14:18:22 GMT, USENET READER

... and even then, you're a jerk. No shock there.
--
gburnore@databasix dot com
Gary L. Burnore wrote:

And never once a single on-topic response from Gary the Criminal Sex Offender!
On Sat, 14 May 2005 15:52:58 GMT, USENET READER

Quite a few, actually. Are you now claiming this thread shouldn't have ever been posted to tri.gen?
--
gburnore@databasix dot com
"USENET READER" wrote

What's the question? Are you looking for an architect to consult you, or? I didn't see one "?"
Jeff G. wrote:

It isn't really a question - we are looking for someone with some real experience with more than one type of window who can tell me the real life pros and cons of the different types of windows and make some recommendations.
This isn't a question other than to ask others out there if they either have that experience or can identify someone who does have that experience and provide some contact info.

Yep.
I've had my own window and door business so I'm qualified to give you a good answer. Sold and installed most every type at one time or another. OTOH, I don't like people telling me what I can and cannot say so I'm not going to waste my time with an arrogant putz like you.

gburnore@databasix dot com
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Isn't the customer always right? Even the potential customer? Sorry if I don't want some readneck asshole with Bush stickers on his truck coming into my yard and unleashing a bunch of illegal mexicans to wreak havoc on my yard, and taking 15 minutes to tell me some cracker-barrel story to answer a question that should have been answered with a simple "yes" or "no".
No wonder you "had" a window and door business. Time is money Bubba!

Some customers are, simply, "not worth" the trouble
I have 'fired" customers that were too much trouble.
I intentionally turn away potential customers that exhibit stigmata of being 'too much trouble'. It's more profitable _not_ to deal with them than it is _to_ deal with them.
You, I'll refer to the competitor that I like _least_. You two deserve each other.

It sure is. And on that score, isn't amazing how you want people to *give* you their time and expertise? You haven't offerd to _pay_ anyone for consultation, have you?

Nope the customer is not always right. They may think they are right, but are being unreasonable. It is sometimes best if the customer does leave. Though they may bad mouth the business, it is only as effective as their own credibility.

snipped-for-privacy@www.spam.com is a garbage address.
USENET READER wrote:

Well, I was going to chip in with my own experiences in completely replacing all the windows in my house, but frankly, I can't be bothered to deal with a snotty little idjit like you.

Do you suppose you could chip in for my sake? We've finally saved what I hope is enough money to replace our windows, but I'm just at the beginning stage of researching the project. I've got 11 windows to replace (and maybe both doors), and I'm considering doing the labour myself (to save money, no other reason). Please say what you have to say. Thanks.
- Owen -

This thread went to hell pretty fast. You may get better result starting a new one.
BobMac wrote:

Hey. I'm getting tired of this chilly Wisconsin weather. I think I might wander out there some weekend and take advantage of that sultry tropical weather you got.

I believe our house is actually an Alcan home, built in th '70s nearly 30 years before we bought it. Can't say I'm really impressed with the construction, but you buy what you can afford. I kind of like the idea of putting Alcan windows on an Alcan home.

When did you do this, and may I ask the cost? How happy we are has a lot to do with how closely our expectations match our reality.

My neck of the woods is Ottawa; we probably get one more month of winter than you do.

Knowing that I'm capable of rebuilding everything except the foundation, I'm tempted to get started myself. I resist the urge, though. It would be better to just move on. Unfortunately some things aren't going to wait for us to do that, so here I am. :(

Yup. Do you ever watch "Holmes on Homes"? Many of his clients checked out several references and STILL got seriously burned. I'll take the advice, but I'm not expecting it to make my world problem free.
Thanks for all the other great suggestions. I'm saving a copy of your response for future reference.
- Owen -

Except that it demonstrated his _inability_ to respond as requested to a "polite request" constructed according to *his* definition of polite.
So, not only is he a proven liar, with apparent Alzheimers-induced short- term memory problems, who expects professionals to _give_ him the benefit of their expertise when he has already stated he is not even a potential customer, he is also a two-faced bastard, who uses a different standard for his own behavior than what he DEMANDS of the rest of the world.
On Sat, 14 May 2005 15:46:15 GMT, USENET READER
[snip]

Have you actually gone out and talked to them? Granted, there are probably many that do fit your description, but it is rather bigoted of you to paint them all with the same broad brush. Just because you look Hispanic is no indication that you are not an American citizen.
I think that those who hire illegals should be penalized, but first we should make it easier for them to verify the illegality of the workers. As it stands, if the employer does more checking on someone who is obviously Hispanic than he/she does one someone who is obviously Anglo, he/she can be sued for discrimination.