Looking for recommendations/actual experiences with new windows - please no stupid questions!

Page 1 of 4

Greetings - I am looking specifically for recommendations on some new windows for my home.
It's a 35 YO split level in the Piedmont area of North Carolina. We do get cold weather but mostly hot weather, direct sun on the windows on three sides of the house.
The house is going to be remodeled from the roof down - new shingles, fascia and soffits, as well as siding. Gonna be putting up Hardiplank siding, and AZEK trim boards and possibly brick mold around the windows.
I went to a home show a few weeks ago, and heard some wild and contradictory claims from window company reps who said that their window technology was better than the other guys.
Basially I have old single-pane wooden windows on the house now. I want to replace them with more maintenence-free and energy efficient windows - wooden on the inside, and they can be whatever works on the outside.
The current technology seems to be either aluminum, vinyl or other molded plastic coverings over a wooden window. The aluminum cladding is either extruded or pressed and joined over the wood. One aluminum guy says that the extruded aluminum is superior to the pressed and joined aluminum covering and that aluminum is better than vinyl because it doesn't expand and contract as much as vinyl The Vinyl guys say that the coloring on the exteriors won't wear out like the paint on the aluminum.
We simply want white or off-white windows for the house that need a minimum of maintenence given the weather conditions down here in NC. So we are looking for someone - a building contractor, an architect, etc - with some real experience with more than one type of window who can tell me the real life pros and cons of the different types of windows for sale in the RTP NC area and make some recommendations.
Please - no BS comments from people who really can't answer the question. Please respond through the group. Thanks!
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 02 May 2005 18:52:57 GMT, USENET READER

Will you be needing screens, too?
rusty redcloud
Add pictures here
✖

Do you need them to open, too?
Add pictures here
✖
Do you want these windows wired for 110 or 220?
Add pictures here
✖

you bad! <g>
Add pictures here
✖
This clown has been here before.
He's one of the four bozos in my killfile.
✖
USENET READER wrote:

Don't get the baked-on enamel covering. It does look good, but if a contractor drops a hammer on the window sill while installing it and cracks the covering, the window is done for. A neighbor of mine learned this the hard way.
I had my windows replaced a year ago. Went with Aluminum-clad Pellas, mainly because we wanted the integral blinds and rollup screens and they were the only decent manufacturer offering what we wanted. There may be more competition now. I highly recommend Windows, Doors, and More, in Chapel Hill. They really did an excellent job. They are so good that there is a several month wait for their services, but it's worth it IMO.
Add pictures here
✖
xyzzy wrote:

is that enamel baked onto aluminum, vinyl or plastic?

I am looking to buy the windows and install them myself, so I don't need to wait on the installation.
I don't need the fancy screens and blinds - I simply want to know which finish will weather the best around here - you know what sort of exremes we have.

Add pictures here
✖

He is as stupid as he is arrogant.
LOL..Then the fuckwit calls people shut-ins while his time-line of replies clearly indicates he hasn't been away from his computer all day.... looooooserrrr.
I find it hard to believe he would even have the money for windows....
Add pictures here
✖

Sure he does... *Microsoft* Windows.
Add pictures here
✖

I also went with the Pella product. After doing the research my two finalists were Andersen and Pella. Bought Pellas and don't have any regrets.
-- Morris Dovey DeSoto Solar DeSoto, Iowa USA www.iedu.com/DeSoto/solar.html
Add pictures here
✖

When at the show, did you preface your request with the same: " Looking for recommendations/actual experiences with new windows - please no stupid questions!" line as you did here?
or did you use this little heart-warmer?

I was going to tell you that Fine Home Building did a recent comparison and what the results were.... but that tone of yours... YOU go find the issue and the results, okay?
*shaking my head in disbelief*
Add pictures here
✖

    Yep. What a putz ....
Click every day here to feed an animal that needs you today !!!
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com /
Paul ( pjm @ pobox . com ) - remove spaces to email me 'Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm / Free Temperature / Pressure charts for 38 Ref's http://pmilligan.net/pmtherm /
Add pictures here
✖
It's so nice to know that there are rods on the net as well as in real life.
Opening like that I'm sure the contractors were thrilled to death to deal with ya. ;-)
My daddy always said something about more Bee's with honey.........
Add pictures here
✖
bremen68 wrote:

Yes - I like to be polite too, but when there are too many dingleberries out there who can't answer a simple direct question - like "does the truck you are selling have air conditioning?", I have to qualify my questions and if the dingleberries chose to take offense, then this will waste less of my time.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 02 May 2005 22:32:05 GMT, USENET READER

Sorry to interrupt the flamefest with an actual answer. This response may not qualify anyway, because I think you said you want to install them yourself, but here goes!
When I moved into my current home in October 2000, the windows were single pane glass that did little to insulate. I started shopping for new windows and settled on Window World, although the Aluminum Company of NC came in a very close second. WW had the bast price ($300/window); as far as quality they all seemed equivalent. The difference in insulating capacity was incredible (they're double paned, argon filled), and easily made up the $60/mo. that the CP&L energy loan costs. They are easy to clean, and I've had no problem with them.
Add pictures here
✖

If you are doing the work yourself, be sure to wear some kind of respirator when cutting Hardiplank. The fine dust can cause silicosis of the lungs. The hispanics who did mine did not except for the actual cutter, but that dust goes over all of them. I think I would have rigged up some kind of fan to disperse the dust faster as well as used a respirator.
Definitely get a bid form TALC of NC since they can do all that you want trim, siding and windows.

snipped-for-privacy@www.spam.com is a garbage address.
✖
On Thu, 05 May 2005 13:43:39 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@fw.private.neotoma.org wrote:

Was that necessary? I am suprised to see that the guy who took Bill Cooper to task for saying that all Middle Easterners look alive feels that it is necessary to specify the race/nationality/whatever of anyone for no reason. How about just "the *people* who did...."?

Add pictures here
✖

I thought it was, however I was not explicit in saying why I chose to identify their ethnicity.
Here is what I left out. Only one on the crew who was the supervisor spoke much english. I suspect they did not even know what silicosis was. Plus because they were contractors not employees of TALC of NC, TALC of NC is probably not even required to tell them what safety measures to take. Plus the effects may not show up for years. I did mention it to the supervisor (the fan), and that everyone the dust reached was at some risk. On parts of the house they could set the saw back another 5 feet and that would help in dispersing it faster, but on my patio they were in an area where only one side was open to a breeze and the dust lingered longer. I seem to remember ther e was a dustless cutting device and I asked the salesman if the crews used is and he said yes. If that was true then maybe they provide crews that perhaps employees with it.

snipped-for-privacy@www.spam.com is a garbage address.
✖
Robatoy wrote:

No dickhead - I asked them about their windows

Sorry - I get so many shut-ins who ask me stupid questions, like do I want screens on my windows - that I had to qualify my posting with that - I wish you would have kept your stupid comments to yourself - but you must like seeing your postings on line.
Add pictures here
✖