Look what happened to this feller's workshop

Well, yeah! There's a reason I moved to the South! ;-)

I take it that Galveston bay isn't part of the gulf? Salt?

Plenty salty, and directly connected, but situated for the most part between the mainland and Galveston Island.

Brackish water, depending upon the location.
I used to duck hunt in both Galveston and Trinity bays and it was not unusual to break ice, of an early morning, going to the blinds in the upper reaches where the water was brackish (more fresh water, less salt), thus more subject to freezing.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Never would have thought that even brackish water would freeze in Galveston. My wife lived in Houston (burbs) when she was young. She tells amazing stories of the snowfalls (scrape an entire yard to get enough snow to build a snowman) but never mentioned ground water actually, you know, freezing. ;-)
On 12/15/2013 11:29 AM, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

It has indeed been a while, I was in jr high and high school at the time, so it was mid to late 50's. Depending upon how old your wife is, and whether she was a duck/goose hunter, she might have not experienced it.
Dad and I built a flat bottom, high transom, 11' plywood/fiberglass "Jon" boat to specifically hunt the upper reaches of both bays, and I hunted almost daily during the season as a youngster after I bought my first car (at 14). I routinely hit the launch site around 4:30 AM, as I had to travel up to 30 minutes get to the areas we had blinds, and on a number of occasions broke a thin ice sheet the entire distance, which wasn't considered remarkable enough to talk about.
Biggest snow I've experienced in Houston was around 1960. IIRC, we had at least 4" of snow, with drifts up to a foot along our outbuildings.
Times have changed ... Hunting alone, I occasionally had to ride out a combination low tide/strong Norther' and couldn't get back across the flats until the tide changed late that same evening.
These days parents would call out the Coast Guard, be worried sick, and it would be on the evening news.
Mine had the attitude that I had been taught to take care of myself, didn't blink an eye, and the only thing I had to explain was why I had missed school, if it was a school day.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

She's 61, so lived there from 52 to 66ish? I asked her about it again, when we were out for lunch today (great Mexican place here). She never remembered such but wouldn't have been in Galveston during the Winter.

That's probably what she remembers. The scraping the yard part is my Yankee spin. ;-)

If that happened today?!!!

<...snipped...>

Could be laziness, could be ignorance, could be people in a hurry and just forget, could even be intentional if the driver is less than honest about his employment and thinks he can finagle some overtime out of such a situation. My shops take care of 3000 vehicles spread out over almost the whole state. I know better than to say "I've seen it all" or that nothing will surprise me any more. Someone's always got a reason or explanation you've never heard before.

Larry W. - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf. lonestar.org
On 12/14/2013 1:36 PM, Larry W wrote:

vehicle would not budge. She called in complaining and warning of its arrival. She complained that a vehicle with 40,000 miles should not be breaking down. I paid good money bla bla bla.
When the Wrecker arrived I had the driver back it on to a lift. He suspected that the front brakes were the problem. I had a mechanic remove the front wheels and we had a look.
What we saw was a front rotor that was completely worn away to the cooling fins in the center and the caliper piston was welded to that rotor. Any sign of the pads was looooooong gone.
We had to quote her a price for replacing everything between the upper and lower ball joints, it all had to be replaced, both sides.
I asked her how long she had been listening to the noise coming from the front end. Her answer was a couple of days.

She probably had been listening for two days. And ignoring the noise the previous 6 months.
On 12/13/2013 11:28 PM, Leon wrote:

park track equipment (dozers, etc) on the ground in freezing temperatures.
--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .

Exactly!

When I had sticks, I always left them in gear (reverse).

...and an honorable mention for, well, even mentioning the damned fool mistake.

As a paramedic, HE SHOULD KNOW BETTER!!!
He works on all kinds of people who do stupid things. Maybe the stupidity was contagious. He caught it from somebody.
He was very lucky. And he is getting tools replaced, etc. So it will work out in the end.
But TOTALLY STUPID!!
On Friday, December 13, 2013 2:45:11 PM UTC-6, Lee Michaels wrote:

ave had a ____ Stop! As a paramedic, HE SHOULD KNOW BETTER!!! He works on a ll kinds of people who do stupid things. Maybe the stupidity was contagious . He caught it from somebody. He was very lucky. And he is getting tools re placed, etc. So it will work out in the end. But TOTALLY STUPID!!
A couple of odd things about twoblacklabs' post. His profile states he's f rom IN. I'd have expected him to have his left leg on the ground and his r ight leg on the clutch, but.... He states the truck's passenger mirror was damaged and the picture shows the left side (driver's side, here in the st ates, I thought) of his truck (damaged mirror side?). Maybe the controls A RE on the right side of the truck.
F150, built Ford tough (sic)! : )
Well, I see someone else's shop is in as much "disarray" as mine. I do wi sh him a quick recovery, though. I'd hate to have any sort of accident or damage, as that, no matter how it's caused.
Sonny
Sonny

My vote is for "dumb stop." Actually, that would prevent most accidents, wouldn't it?

On 12/13/2013 2:45 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

I like to say that he paid the "stupid tax", and he was lucky on top of that. Suppose a child had been playing between the garage and the vehicle.
"Bill" wrote in message
Man....
http://lumberjocks.com/topics/55735
Fortunately no one was hurt. The punch line is an absolutely pun though. He should have had a ____ Stop!
Wonder what stopped the truck from going on through the next wall. After all it is a Ford. WW

The words paramedic and insurance immediately spring to mind. There appears to be a lot of damage caused by a vehicle travelling at tickover speed especially as the left foot was pushing clutch in (the vehicle 'should' not have moved). At first sight the shop looks well equipped, on further inspection I am not so sure. I was surprised to see a chair in the place, more surprised to see two. That's just me, if I want to sit down I go into the garden and there's rarely time to sit down there either. I wonder if this chap has a wife or child that is eager to learn the arts of driving. Being a rightpondian sceptic I think this is all baloney. Nick.
"Nick" wrote:

The most important tool in the shop is the "Thinking" chair IMHO.
Lew

A truck stop?