Look what happened to this feller's workshop

I can see that being an issue but certainly not the rust if you exercise the cables regularity.

All our road

And in those occasions, you leave the vehicle in gear or Park when you park it. Not taking some measure to prevent the vehicle from moving is laziness.

Reply to
Leon

I remember one winter I had to go to a meeting in the evening. It was zero that night. The brake did not freeze but the oil in the standard transmission became so stiff that I could not shift until I let he car run for a while to warm the transmission.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Oh heck yeah!

Back in the late 80's, before the global warming fad, Houston used to get pretty cold. I recall similar situations with my 87 Isuzu Trooper. The temperature was "7" degrees F and that thing was a beast to drive when it got cold.

Reply to
Leon

Why do you think the oceans are so salty?

We lived in Vermont for fifteen years. I'm very familiar with the whole concept of driving on salt. They use no sand because it'll freeze solid before they can get it on the trucks. In really cold weather, salt doesn't melt anything but it still helps traction.

Reply to
krw

If that were the case, Vermont would be one (little) beach. Well, close, but misspelled.

Don't lick the flagpole.

Reply to
krw

Yep. I had to replace my 2001 Ranger this year, even though it hadn't been in salt country for five years. The rear frame was so rotted out there wasn't anything left for the leaf springs to attach to. It got upgraded to a '14 F150. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Try 40F colder than that. ;-)

Reply to
krw

What's a Tesla Stop? ;-)

Reply to
krw

I see you're not that funny either... ;) Didn't you notice the man was sort-of driving an FMC 150?

I'd love to hear what the insurance company has to say. It's seems they could pay off his claim and then sue him (for operating a vehicle negligently).

Reply to
Bill

Could be laziness, could be ignorance, could be people in a hurry and just forget, could even be intentional if the driver is less than honest about his employment and thinks he can finagle some overtime out of such a situation. My shops take care of 3000 vehicles spread out over almost the whole state. I know better than to say "I've seen it all" or that nothing will surprise me any more. Someone's always got a reason or explanation you've never heard before.

Reply to
Larry W

And oddly enough you add rock salt to a hand crank ice cream maker ice to make it colder.

Reply to
Leon

I think you will have to agree that 7 is cold, damn cold for SE Texas. IIRC back when SE Texas was naming their small towns Pearland, Orange after their orchards, Galveston Bay froze.

Reply to
Leon

Way back when, a customer had her vehicle brought in on the hook. The vehicle would not budge. She called in complaining and warning of its arrival. She complained that a vehicle with 40,000 miles should not be breaking down. I paid good money bla bla bla.

When the Wrecker arrived I had the driver back it on to a lift. He suspected that the front brakes were the problem. I had a mechanic remove the front wheels and we had a look.

What we saw was a front rotor that was completely worn away to the cooling fins in the center and the caliper piston was welded to that rotor. Any sign of the pads was looooooong gone.

We had to quote her a price for replacing everything between the upper and lower ball joints, it all had to be replaced, both sides.

I asked her how long she had been listening to the noise coming from the front end. Her answer was a couple of days.

Reply to
Leon

Probably not, if they could they would be suing every one, that they insure, that got a ticket for having an accident.

Reply to
Leon

Not so oddly. The same reason, actually. Salt (ions) lowers the melting point of water.

Reply to
krw

Well, yeah! There's a reason I moved to the South! ;-)

I take it that Galveston bay isn't part of the gulf? Salt?

Reply to
krw

;-) Thinking of it again, I suppose this is a Tesla Stop.

No, I hadn't. All truck tires look the same. ;-)

Probably not. Anything can happen but if it's a decent insurance company, they'll just pay. He may (or may not) have a surcharge on his insurance for the next few years. There is a reason to not go cheap on auto insurance, though.

Reply to
krw

snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I thought it was the end of the wires, or the point where they get too far apart for the spark to arc across.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Maybe the answer depends on whether the insured lives in a "No-Fault" state or not. In Indiana, they are not afraid to sue.

Reply to
Bill

I see Tesla still has a few bugs to get worked out... In the meantime, we can all work on our sense of humor. : )

Reply to
Bill