Look what happened to this feller's workshop

-------------------------------------------------- The most important tool in the shop is the "Thinking" chair IMHO.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

A truck stop?

Reply to
krw

When I had sticks, I always left them in gear (reverse).

...and an honorable mention for, well, even mentioning the damned fool mistake.

Reply to
krw

Global warming?

Yup. I used to get gigged on inspections for a rusted brakes all the time. Never used the parking brake. Still don't.

Reply to
krw

What else? I thought it was sort of funny when I first thought of it. But I'd probably think Tesla was funny.

Reply to
Bill

Popping the clutch, who would not know what that is. But still do you leave yur vehicle outside in neutral?

Reply to
Leon

Use your parking brake as you should and lubricate as indicated the rust will not develop badly enough to lock things up.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
Leon

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 23:28:46 -0600, Leon

Don't know about your neck of the woods, but up here it's law that your emergency brake has to be working. Roadside spot checks especially in winter time often check for a working emergency brake. If it's not, a ticket with a fine attached is the result.

Reply to
none

In Corpus Christi TX, north end of Padre Island and lots of fishing there is lots of salt to keep things rusty. It was standard procedure to drench cables with WD40 to expel the salt water.

Reply to
Leon

----------------------------------------------------------- "Le> Use your parking brake as you should and lubricate as indicated the

--------------------------------------------------------- Spend a couple of years driving in the Rust Belt and get back to me.

Road salt eats a vehicle alive.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 01:06:22 -0600, Leon

Probably not the same type of salt, but our roads and sidewalks are heavily salted in wintertime for traction. It's not uncommon for the snow to temporarily melt away and the ground is still white from all the salt spread on it. I've always wondered what all this road salt does to the eco system.

Reply to
none

I grew up in Corpus Christi, TX. not unusual to have vehicles come into the shop with floor pans rusted out. So you are preaching to the choir about salt and rust.

Reply to
Leon

Exactly!

Reply to
Leon

Yes I will bet that is what is causing it. The earth is warming sooooo much it is snowing in the Middle east and in Jerusalem this morning. I beleive they said it was a record amount of snow for the area.

That is not counting what is happening in this country and in other areas of the world.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Usually not as I am not space limited out of doors. In our area when parking in most places I set the emergency brake.

I mentioned explaining "popping the clutch", as one of the joys of taking the car for service is to watch the young serviceman get in the car and have no idea of what to do with the gear shift.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

I have always thought it was amusing as when Rome defeated Carthage in the Punic wars, they spread salt on the ground to destroy the land.

We voluntarily spread salt on our land.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Well, you drive on the beach which is covered by a wave of salt water every few seconds. ;~) What does it do to the eco system? It turns it in to a beach. LOL

Then there is the salt air. Simply stick your tongue out and you can taste the salt.

Reply to
Leon

Several years back my BIL's oldest daughter drove into the the local gas station to fill up. She left the vehicle in neutral, got out, and began filling the tank. The filler tube was behind the rear license plate. The vehicle in front of her, a large truck, backed up and hit her vehicle. This knocked her down and while she was trying to get back up was crushed between her vehicle and the one behind her. She did not survive.

Like a TS and most WW equipment you can't be too careful. The unexpected gets you.

When I was the service sales manager at the Olds dealership in down town Houston, early 80's, I was talking to the service manager at the Cadillac dealer a couple of blocks away. He was mentioning a similar problems with his porters that parked the customers vehicles. IIRC Cadillac came out with a new model, IIRC the "N" body Cimmeron. Basically an Olds Calais. Oddly Cadillac offered that vehicle with standard shift transmission. The porters could not figure that out.

Reply to
Leon

Rust is not necessary. In cold and we weather, the cable can literally freeze, i.e water infiltrates the cable housing far enought so that when it turns to ice the cable sticks. Working in fleet vehicle maintenance for the last 35 years I have seen it happen many of times. All our road call techs and garagemen carry propane torches this time of year. BTW, always leave them in the cab of the truck. If they're stowed in an unheated area they may not work too well til they warm up.

Try driving your car through a puddle a few times then parking it overnight in freezing weather with the parking brake set hard. While a particular car may or may not have the brake freeze, the odds are that some will under these conditions.

Reply to
Larry W