Link Belt For Jet JTAS-10 - Size?

Planning to replace drive belts on the saw (jerky start up) and want to make sure I get the right size and enough length. The existing belts (off brand automobile v-belts (original?)) are 1/2" on the wide side. My imprecise estimate is that they're each about 24" in total length.
So is 1/2" link belt and buying 8' (3 belts plus the "more is better" principle) about right?
Thanks.
Tom
On Sat, 21 May 2005 16:47:29 -0500, Tom Banes

If it's new, wait.
Cabinet saws are heavy, they dampen a lot of vibration. Belts soften and stretch with use.
If it's not new, go for the link belts.
Barry
On Sat, 21 May 2005 23:40:39 GMT, Ba r r y

Barry:
thanks for the input. The saw is not "new" as I bought it used, but not VERY used. The prior owner had it in one of those public storage sheds for about 1 yaer before getting tired of paying the fees, so it sat unused in Texas heat for some time. I suspect the belts toook a pretty god "set". They look great, no visible wear. I've run five or six hours on it in the last couple of weeks. The first start up of the day is pretty abrupt, then subsequent starts are smoother as the belts warm up.
I don't mind the expense of sticking link belts on it, just not sure of sizing.
Regards.

I would be tempted to "rotate" the belts. Take off the tension, rotate one belt a third, rotate the second belt a third the other direction, leave the last belt alone, retension. I think this would cancel out any "set". I also think that a bit of Googling in this group would suggest that abrupt startups are more or less normal anyway.
On Mon, 23 May 2005 18:22:25 GMT, Larry Kraus
Larry:
Thanks, I'll try the rotation trick.
Regards.

Read the label on your existing belt. It should say something like A-52, or A-50. A if for 1/2" and 50 is for 50".
Darrell

On Sat, 21 May 2005 18:54:17 -0500, "Darrell Dorsey"

Thanks Darrell. I appreciate your response. Regrettably the only markings on the existing belts are
"First Auto Belt", "17-250" then a "20915". probably a part number.
Probably Taiwan markings. I had hoped that someone with a Jet knew the right size.
Regards.
Sorry Tom, I still have the belt from Jet Contractor saw that I had as well. It says the same thing. I installed a link belt on it. My guess is the 250 means is 25". It was an 1/2" belt, size A.
Darrell

Why not just take the belt off and measure it? I did for my saw. What I found was that it was a few links too large and then I just removed them.

Thanks. I was more concerned about getting the correct width but concensus now seems to be it's a 1/2" belt. Length is easy as you say, just overbuy!
Regards.

WW Grainger has a good overview of different sizes of v belts and a picture with dimensions for each. It begins on page 252 of their online catalog, their site is www.grainger.com. The information on the belt sizes is very useful if you have a belt with hard to understand numbering systems or (as in my case) have a pulley that you are not sure what size belt it is made for. I had to reference this info just today to insure that the power twist belts I have were in the right size to be used in a compressor I am just finishing building. I usually buy the power twist belting off of ebay in 25' boxes. There are different sizes of power twist belting as well but they usually overlap, with one sizes covering two or three sizes of v-belt. The loops you can buy from rockler or harbor freight are usually the size that covers the 'A' and 'B' series of v-belt sizes and are about 5' long overall.
I have used the loop belts for some time and the really do reduce the transmitted vibrations from the motor you will likely be able to hear it , or rather not hear it so much. Let me know if you have any other questions about loop belts and I will do my best to get you an answer. I had to go through the fact finding process for this stuff some time ago so I may be able to save you some time and effort, hope this helps. Joe

Joe Brophy CountryTech Computer email: snipped-for-privacy@spiretech.com
Joe:
Thanks for your input. I'll take a look at the Grainger site to see if I can figure out what to order.
Regards.
Tom