Lettering Templates From Computer Fonts

Page 1 of 2
I want to try making name plates using my scroll saw. Someone showed me some plastic templates they had that were a bit pricey even though they worked.. I am wondering if there aren't different computer fonts that can be used providing different size and letter types. I am thinking that I would like to make 'Mike' in letters 1" high and the name 4" long done in script. I could then print it to paper and then glue it to the wood to be cut. Any help will be appreciated.
--
Mike, Mike Dalton, Dad, Grandpa, Pop, Uncle, Papa, Popou
I am no longer young enough to know everything

some
worked..
If you print the letters reversed on a laser printer, you can iron the letters on to the wood.
: : If you print the letters reversed on a laser printer, you can iron the : letters on to the wood.
Has anyone made this work to give a satisfactory print on wood?
Jeff G
-- Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK Email address is username@ISP username is amgron ISP is clara.co.uk Website www.amgron.clara.net
t71-03.news.uk.clara.net:

It probably depends on the toner used, how thickly the printer pours it on, and the wood used. Using my Brother 5040, it didn't work to my satisfaction (little toner was applied to the wood, and it was blotchy).
--
Best regards
Han

Fri, Feb 20, 2004, 11:59am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@seethesig.com (JeffGorman) asks: Has anyone made this work to give a satisfactory print on wood?
Yes.
However. You know there is almost always a however. It would depend on what "satisfactory" is to you.
In my case, I got satisfactory results, the few times I did it. However, it was on light colored wood. On darker wood, it wouldn't have shown up near as well, or possibly not at all. It didn't show up dark, but was usable, for what I wanted. Damn, now I can't remember just what it was for, it's been a long time, several years. Scrollsaw pattern, I'm pretty sure, to be painted later. It's pretty quick, and accurately transfers the pattern. So, it's good that way; but, does tend to come out lighter than I really like. I then tried rubber cement to hold a pattern down. The cleanup on that was a real PITA, to me. Then carbon paper, which gave a dark line, but could be time consuming, and I didn't really care for it. Then I went to gluing my patterns down, with thinned Titebond II (I've just gotta buy stock in that company). The paper stays in place, and is painted on. Works great, for me and what I'm doing. If I didn't paint the patterns later, this probably wouldn't work, but I do, and it does.
JOAT Georges Clemenceau supposedly said, "War is too important a matter to be left to the military". If this is so, it is then obvious that peace is too precious to be left to politicians.
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 28 Feb 2004. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/SOMETUNESILIKEVOCALS /
I like Cooper Black.
Here is a link to a big JPG I made of the alphabet in Cooper Black. Feel free to use this if you like.
http://www.geocities.com/dustys_workshop/cooperblack.html?1077233721230http://www.geocities.com/dustys_workshop/cooperblack.html
Dusty,
"You give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!" Maxwell Smart (Agent 86)
-----------------
That is what I have done. Glue with spray on adhesive like "super 77". Cut with scrollsaw, then sand off the paper.
Montyhp

some
worked..
For carving incised letters, I prefer to trace the computer printed letters using carbon paper (good luck trying to find it!). With a sharp pencil very clear lines are possible. Curves have to be traced freehand but straignt elements can be done using a straightedge. With carving, it helps to varnish the board first so that the demarcation between the surface and the cut letter is sharp. Light sanding of the varnish gives a little tooth for the carbon to stick to. Good luck, Dave "Montyhp" <montyhp at yahoo.com> wrote in message

like
look in a craft store they sell " tracing paper" comes in colors too.

letters
very
the
for
On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 8:40:07 -0600, Dave W wrote

It's not too hard, the last time I was in OfficeMax they had a box of 100 for $20.00 or something like that. Also most arts supply stores will carry it (forget what they call it though).
Wayne
any scroll saw plan site will have transfer or tracing paper in large sheets
BRuce
Dave W wrote:

--
---

BRuce

I just came across this thread so I haven't read it all and not sure if this has been discussed before and I apologise if it has.
I've had good success by printing "mirror image" to a laser printer. Then I use an old household iron on the back to heat transfer it to the wood. Since laser printer ink is actually a high temperature wax, any residue that is left, when I'm finished cutting or carving, washes off the wood easily with solvent. A Xerox type photo copier uses this same ink (toner), so for those of you who don't have a laser printer, you can make photo copies of your inkjet prints and then do the same thing with them.
-- Charley
<BRuce> wrote in message

used
Avery sells full-sheet sticker paper for inkjets. Print it off, cut them out. Test on a plain sheet for size first, though. Put a _slight_ dusting of sawdust on the back to reduce takiness, if needed.
http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id65466

Better still, is are the "tee shirt transfer" papers that can be printed on laser or ink jet. You transfer the image onto the tee shirt or wood with an iron.

some
worked..
like
"Eric Tonks" wrote...

on
an
I just print out whatever writing I want using plain paper. Then I tape it to the wood over some good old fashioned carbon paper. Trace the outlines and remove. All traces of the carbon paper come off with sanding. Works for me.
--
Cheers,
Howard

: Better still, is are the "tee shirt transfer" papers that can be printed on : laser or ink jet. You transfer the image onto the tee shirt or wood with an : iron.
How has this been made to work? Other reports indicate that inks suitable for fabrics are not suitable for this purpose.
-- Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK Email address is username@ISP username is amgron ISP is clara.co.uk Website www.amgron.clara.net :
Sat, Feb 21, 2004, 8:36am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@seethesig.com (JeffGorman) asks: How has this been made to work? Other reports indicate that inks suitable for fabrics are not suitable for this purpose.
What'cha want to do, Jeff?
JOAT Georges Clemenceau supposedly said, "War is too important a matter to be left to the military". If this is so, it is then obvious that peace is too precious to be left to politicians.
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 28 Feb 2004. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/SOMETUNESILIKEVOCALS /
Thu, Feb 19, 2004, 8:13pm snipped-for-privacy@AMyahoo.com (MikeDalton) claims: I want to try making name plates <snip> I could then print it to paper and then glue it to the wood to be cut. Any help will be appreciated.
No prob. Go to google, do a search. There's any number of sites out there with alphabets you can print out. Some of about every size, and/or style you want. A number of sites let you print out whatever you want, with different size, and style of type. One even lets you print it out backward - then you can copy it and iron the design on to the wood, rather than gluing. All you have to do is spend a few minutes looking. Try using "alphabet" as a starting point.