PVCSched 40 Lettering

I'm making some dog agility jumps out of Sched 40 1-1/4 PVC pipe and want to remove the lettering (I want nice clean white).

What solvent ?? Another thread suggested acetone, but then someone jumped in with how toxic acetone is...

Thanks

Reply to
Jeff Klein

the clear pvc cleaner should work, though I doubt it is any nicer than Acetone

Reply to
SQLit

You may want to spray paint it white.

Much PVC is not UV stabilized and gets brittle with sunlight exposure. A nice coating of gloss white paint will protect it, make it easy to clean, and cover the lettering, all in one sweep.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Goof-off or mineral spirits and some very fine steel wool takes it off pretty easily. I've also used a wet SOS soap pad with good results.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

acetone based, so go ahead and use acetone if you want. If you use the stuff out doors there should be no problems. The stuff is handy to have around as a general purpose solvent. If you use electrical rated sched 40 PVC you won't get sunlight deteriation.

Reply to
DaveG

The acetone may make a mess of the outside though & th eclear cleaner/primer definitely will. 0000 steel wool, perhaps w/ mineral spirits remove it nicely.

Reply to
The Masked Marvel

a google turns up

says it is MEK and acetone, and some other stuff.

Nail polish remover should work fine.

Reply to
John Hines

An abrasive cleaner (soft scrub) worked great for me when I did a similar thing (pvc bird perches).

Ted

Reply to
tedt