Leigh -- part II

Well, I finally got the jig set up with the usual amount of head scratching. I thought that the 8 mm collet reducer was missing, so that made for a 25 mile trip to the not-so-local Rockler shop. Discovered it later in the same bag as the included router bits. Duh! Decided to use two routers, so needed to run to HF for the 7/16 bushing and then back to Rockler for another collet reducer, at which time I discovered a 50% off sale, so managed to kill 45 minutes browsing.
Finally ran a test for through dovetails. A little more tearout than I anticipated and the joint was way too tight. Brought out the mallet and still couldn't get it to fit. Then I recalled the directions offered some adjustments for just that circumstance. Could not pry the joint apart (it really was tight), so I decided it was time for a break and I'll attack this again tomorrow.
Bottom line: I am encouraged. I hope to avoid Rockler tomorrow. By the way, I picked up two Kreg hold downs and a bag of glue brushes for half price.
Larry
On 1/12/2012 10:55 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:

Cool!
Tear out is mostly technique. IIRC they want a backer board on the back side and you do a reverse climb cut on the front side before cutting out between the fingers. IIRC you enter in the right side and exit on the left side of the cut if the tails and pins are wide enough.