Old chisels...quality steel?

I'm in the market for a couple of larger framing chisels, and I'm hoping to find them cheaper than the $100+ offerings from Sorby, Barr et al... I almost bought a Keen Kutter but it disappeared off of eBay. Are there specific brands to avoid?...to look for? Any good sources of info? Just hoping for some thoughts. Thanks. JP

Reply to
JayPique

Witherby is excellent. I have one.

bw

`Casper

Reply to
Casper

I have the set of 10 of these:

From 1/4" to 2"...

Decent quality, and good price.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I've got my eye on these. A couple of the guys on G+ put this together about the Narex mortising chisels:

Swingman

yet. I also have the LH and RH skew chisels and quite like them as well.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Read up. Learn brand names of quality chisels, both old and new. Know what they're worth before you see them, and haggle, haggle, haggle. Some of the old stuff that you can pick up for a buck or two is just as good as any new stuff that's $50. Educate yourself first, then to shopping.

Steve

Steve B

Peck, Stow & Wilcox (aka PEXTO) are very good antique chisels. Not as well known as some of the bigger names, but quality stuff and you should be able to scoop up a deal.

RicodJour

I bought an old Buck Brothers 2" bench chisel that seems to take and hold an edge nicely. Haven't done much work with it yet though. Too bad I didn't have it before that last job...that seems to be the case a lot. JP

Reply to
JayPique