WTB: Leigh D4 Dovetail Jig

I know this is a long shot, but does anyone have a Leigh D4 dovetail jig that they want to part with ( at a reasonable price ) ?

Is anyone using anything else for variable spaced dovetails? I have a Keller Journeyman right now, and I love it, other than the fact that it does not do the variable spacing, unless you fiddle around with it. I especially like the design of it because it lets me mount the piece in the jig, and then I use the whole jig with the piece mounted in it on the router table.

I'm wondering if this could also be accomplished with the Leigh....

Thanks, Matt

Reply to
mattzack2

They come up frequently on eBay. One is available right now:

sure if this meets your definition of "reasonable price".

The Leigh jig remains stationary, and the router moves. The hold-downs on the Leigh would make it impossible to flip the jig upside down and use it on a router table.

Doug Miller

I have been looking at Ebay for some time now. They always seem to sell for more than I can buy them new. That's why I thought it would be a long shot to ask in this group. The one you recommended in for local pickup only, but it is a great deal for everything that this gentleman is bundling with it. In fact, I asked him if he would take more than his 'Buy It Now' price if he would ship it, but he cannot ship. I wish he were closer. Thanks, Doug. Do you own one yourself? I'm wondering which router would be best for the Leigh. I'm thinking a D-handled router. I have one, but it may be a little wimpy for dovetailing very hard hardwoods. Thanks again, Matt

> Not sure if this meets your definition of "reasonable price".

Reply to
mattzack2

"Cannot ship" sounds a bit odd. "Doesn't want to" may be closer to the truth, and cash is often persuasive. Did you simply offer him "more", or did you offer a specific amount more? If the former, try the latter; if the latter, try a larger amount. :-)

Yes, I do.

I doubt that there is one "best" router. I use a Bosch 1617EVS, and I'm pretty happy with the way it performs, on the Leigh jig, freehand, and in the router table. I have found myself wondering if D-handles might prove more comfortable when using it on the Leigh jig, but that hasn't gone beyond just musing about it; I haven't bothered to check yet if factory D-handles are available.

For cutting dovetails in hard hardwoods, you definitely want a router with plenty of power -- although you can compensate to some extent for an underpowered router by feeding the router into the wood very gently.

Doug Miller