Leigh Dovetail Help Needed

Page 1 of 2
I started trying out my new D4R dovetail jig. When I am routing the tails in through dovetail mode, I am getting a lot of chatter. I am using a PC8529 plunge router.
I finally got one to come out looking good even though I had a lot of chatter. It feels like the bit is gonna break sometimes.
What's up with this??
--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Have you got eh bit in as deep as possible in the router collet? Are you using the 1/4" shank bits? You might want to switch to their 8mm bits. They have a lot more mass. When cutting a through DT with the DT bit you are removing a lot of material

I think so. Next time I will make sure.

The jig came with the 8mm bits and 1/2" to 8mm collet reducer. And 8mm bits.

Yup. If you're going to be doing this a lot, try to get an 8mm collet for your router and buy the 8mm bits for the Leigh.
Or, if you have two routers, put a straight bit in the other one, set a little higher than the dovetail bit, and pre-cut with it.

The jig came with the 8mm bits and 1/2" to 8mm collet reducer.

I will give this a try also!
I am getting very frustrated with this thing. I even managed to hit the end of one of the fingers with a spinning bit and cut a small chunk out. I moved this finger to the end where it will not get used, but I think I will still replace it. I think I am done for the night.
writes:

Make sure your collar is centered on the bit. Both routers.
Recommend the spiral bits for precut and pins. They make finer sawdust, but no chatter as with the two-flutes. You might have to adjust your jig a bit, according to instructions for differing diameters.
Did I mention to center the collar on the bit? Both routers. prevents surprises.
George wrote:

FWIW, Leigh clearly recommends ONE router for the cuts that need to fit.
Precutting with a second router sounds like a great idea.

If the bit is improperly centered in that ONE router, and you change the relative rotation while cutting, they will not fit.
George wrote:

I understand that perfectly.
I simply felt it was important to point out that my D4R manual states in several locations that two routers usually create more problems than they solve. I'm glad they work for you.
"B A R R Y" wrote in message

That's true for halfblind dovetails where only one bit is used ... for through dovetails where two different bits are used, at least in my older D4 manual, they indicate that a second router for the straight bit is a good idea (page 62 - Fig 8-29).
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/07
Swingman wrote:

I'll double check mine.

I double checked.
The mention you reference is not in my manual, dated 01/05 on the inside back cover.
On page 47 (fig. 7-7), they state that "Concentricity problems can _only_ (my emphasis) arise if two routers are used for through dovetails, (one for pins; one for tails)."
Barry
"B A R R Y" wrote in message

older D4

good
My manual is considerably older [apparently back when routers and jigs were better made ;) ] ... 1995.
Here is the applicable page:
www.e-woodshop.net/files/2-TDT.pdf
AAMOF, and because I've quite often done as many as 60 or 80 drawer sides at a time, I've always set up two routers when using the Leigh D4 for through dovetails - one for the DT bit/one for the straight bit - and never had a problem, and not even the same two routers every time ... go figure.
That said, I've always noted, as Leon confirmed to me the other day as his experience, that "through dovetails" with the Leigh are a lot less fussy than halfblind dovetails.
... AAMOF, I won't batch cut too many halfblinds, pins or tails, with the Leigh D4 without doing some interim test fits.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/07
Swingman wrote:

I don't doubt that at all.
I can only guess, but Leigh may have had lots of tech support calls with the problem, so they changed the manual.

Doesn't that imply the truth that concentricity makes all routers equal? Does according to Euclid....
George wrote:

I didn't say it wouldn't work, only what Leigh had to say about it.
Euclid had a router?
<<Euclid had a router?>>
Yes, but it was Archimedes who invented the upcut spiral bit.
Lee

Lee Gordon wrote:

I was taught he sold the distribution rights to Plato.
I know Socrates was a woodworker, due to frequent mentions of hemlock.

After screwing around a bit.
As I said in the first of my posts, center your bits. Every point on that circle is equidistant from the center, and no problem with either compensating or uncompensated error. Doesn't matter, never did, what the manual suggests. Avoiding the error beats compensation.