Help! Leigh Dovetail Jig

Hello,

I'm working on an end table right now and I am going to do half blind on the front of the drawer and through on the rear. Anyway, I messed around with some scrap to figure out how to use the jig (just bought it a few weeks ago) and the scrap came out great (first try on HB and 3rd try on TD). Problem is, I cut my first HB for the actual drawer yesterday (both tail pieces and one side of the front for the pins) and they don't fit. The only adjustments you can make according to the book is the depth of fit (too shallow or too deep -- you move the template in our out to compensate). But that's not my problem, when I start to set the tails in the pin sockets (excuse my misuse of terminology if I've botched that) the tails get crushed going in (their just a bit too wide). But I've looked through the book and considered what I can change and I can't think of a thing. I even put the pieces back in the jig and ran the router over them again to see if there'd be any new wood cut -- nope, the bit didn't even touch anything. Ugh. I didn't mess with the fingers once they were set and flipped them over for the pin side and that worked fine.

Help!! Other than paring the tails down with my chisel (not interested in that really) I can't think of how to fix this or more importantly what went wrong. Anyone with experience that can point out my mistake would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
Mike in Idaho

Ok, with any jig that is this style, if your tails are being crushed during assembly, you are cutting too deep. For looser fitting joints make a shallower cut. Too loose, cut deeper.

The problem is that you are cutting too deep and this makes the slots too narrow. If you raise the bit to cut shallower the slots will widen and the tails will be narrower. When you get it just right always use this depth of cut for "this" bit. If you buy another bit of the same size, start with this depth setting and adjust from there.

And by the way... as you know now, you cannot reroute blind dove tails. Once cut, that's it. Work on scraps until the fit is right.

Reply to
Leon

The height of your dt bit above the base is the means to adjust the problem you are having. Check your manual. It is a very good piece of technical writting. Set your bit to cut a little shallower. Make very small adjustments.

-- Bill Rittner R & B ENTERPRISES Manchester, CT

snipped-for-privacy@cox.net

"Don't take this life too seriously.......nobody gets out alive" (Unknown)

Reply to
Bill Rittner

I'll second that. I got my jig in December and spent the first two days hating it! But once I got the hang of it, I have learned to love it and have ploughed through a 7 drawer chest in no time.

The key was to get the depth just right, which unfortunately meant going through a lot of scrap wood making tiny adjustments each time. Once I found the magic depth, it helped that I did all my drawers in one go, never changing the bit depth on the router. Save your successful test cut for next time - it will help you find the right depth with that bit.

Last note - make sure you have the proper bit for doing half blind dovetails. My set didn't come with the right bit, just one for through dovetails that will not work for 1/2 blind (because of the angle I think?) Check the manual.

-Marc-

Reply to
drmarcj