Legacy of tools - who gets them?

While I am NOT ready to "go on", I was wondering how many of you have thought about their fine collection of tools and where they will end up after you're gone?

I have no children, nor do any of my nephews seem to be interested in woodworking, so if I should die before I can sell the shop (I hope that will happen in about 25 years!) where will they go?

I know this is really an odd topic, but the wife and I have been going thru some estate planning and I just don't have an idea on what to say in my will. Should I just direct my executors to sell them and donate the money to a worthy cause? Or what?

What are you're thoughts on this? I'd be interested to hear from those who are in the same boat - no heirs to pass them do.

MJ Wallace

Reply to
mjmwallace

I'm sure you'll get a list of volunteers willing to take them off your hands. LOL.

I really can't think of a creative solution, since most schools don't seem to teach shop anymore. I guess you should direct them to be sold with the estate with the rest of your stuff. You might want to add a note in the will to make sure your heirs understand they have value.. If no one in your extended family is into woodworking, they might assume that it's "junk" and toss it. A distant relative of mine passed away and his immediate family tossed away his collection of wine, assuming it was "junk".. I would've loved to have a few bottles of it. They also tossed away a lot of his other stuff which could've been of use or enjoyment to someone, even if it didn't fetch a lot of money.

Reply to
bf

I am a firm believer in giving to those who both deserve and appreciate the item in question. Update your will constantly. And find somebody deserving of these fine tools. There is more than one definition of family.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I have thought I would leave my tools to the Guild I belong to. Since the Guild's policy is to not own tools, I would expect them to auction tools to the membership and to fill its coffers with the proceeds for the benefit of all.

Larry

Reply to
Larry Spitz

Dad? Is that really you?

- jbd

Reply to
Freddie

I guess my response in part would depend on what kind of tools/shop it is -- are we talking real heirloom-type and/or handmade (either by yourself or somebody else) tools, high-end "store-bought" hand tools, a shop full of commercial power tools, ...???

In the end, think about it some and figure out what would please you and see if there's a way to accomplish that objective. Perhaps there's a local vo-tech school that could use something or an instructor there that might know of worthwhile students or such...

Reply to
dpb

This topic is discussed from time to time. See the thread "Spousal Shop Concerns" from Oct 06 over in rec.crafts.metalworking.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

One of the reasons we get into woodworking other then the desire to create is to leave a legacy. Most of us think about that in the fine table or box that we have made with our own hands. Have you thought of the tools as being part of your legacy? Picking up an old tool, origin often unknown, I think of the hands that used it before me, and the careful and wonderful work that was done with it. I say a prayer that my work is as well done as the previous work done with the tool, and for the previous owner that cared for the tool so that I too might enjoy it. Give or sell your basic tools to a new woodworker who needs them and will care for them, give or sell your special tools to an experienced woodworker who will appreciate them. Don't worry about the value as much as that they go were they are wanted. Don't however do it for at least 30 or 40 more years.

Reply to
sweet sawdust

I agree with the way Lee is heading on this one. I'd be aiming at a woodworking club, friends who are in the hobby, or a group that could use what you have - either the whole lot or pieced out in smaller lots.

In future, you may come across someone you swap stories with, lean on for help back and forth and even work with. That person may be someone who could appreciate receiving what you have after you're gone. It would just be a shame for the executors to bundle it all up as "workshop items" and sell it all off for a hundred bucks.

Tanus

Reply to
Tanus

No matter what the other kids say, I'm your favorite...Right Dad?

I would start thinking about having your items appraised so you know what you have invested. Then you and SWMBO can sit down and go over what to do. That way she doesn't think that they are junk and just toss them. You might want to think about parting with some of the tools that are collector worthy or would still fetch a good price. We went through a simular situation when my grandfather fell ill for a long time. No one in the family knew how much any of his farm and shop equipment was worth. When he recovered, his first priority was to sell off all that was valuable. The rest he hung on to "in case" he needed it. Now that he is up there in years, I have been helping him with sorting the rest out.

Reply to
Allen Roy

I recently bought a used bandsaw and a bunch of other smaller tools from the shop of a former pool-cue maker. He had passed away, and his (grown) kids were in town to take care of the house, and since they weren't interested in the tools, they were selling them very cheaply to whoever would use them. The kids said he just would have wanted the tools to be used and appreciated - they certainly are! A friend and I both left with a good selection of tools, and although the bandsaw was used most recently for a rocking chair and a quilt rack instead of pool cues, I frequently think of its former owner I never had the chance to meet. This seems to me to be a good deal for all, but at the time, his kids didn't seem too excited about sorting through and selling a bunch of stuff they didn't know much about. So maybe this idea could be somehow combined with other responses - maybe a local woodworking club could be in charge of auctioning, in return for a share of the profits or the tools, with the rest going to your favorite charity or back to your estate? Just some ideas... Andy

Reply to
Andy

A place you could leave them that would result in their falling into the hands of people who would both appreciate them and use them in woodworking would be one of the wooden boat building schools. The Northwest School of Boatbuilding in Port Townsend, Washington is in my home town, and turns out both yound and older boat builders year after year. There are others, as well, and apprentice programs on the East Coast - one's called the ApprenticeShop.

I'm thinking that I'll leave my own collection either to a young local boatbuilder or furniture maker who's starting out his career, or else the boatbuilding school.

Tom Dacon

Reply to
Tom Dacon

My Dad volunteers at a local aviation museum where they are currently restoring a couple of old Stearman airplanes. Walking through their shop the other day I thought they could use a higher grade of woodworking equipment. If you don't intend to sell the stuff a similar place or a woodworking club might put your tools to good use.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

As far as relatives go, I'm in the same position you are except that I don't have the same problem. I've named my best friend as executor of my estate as well as beneficiary. He has *some* interest in woodworking although not as much as I do. I've told him that he can keep what he wants and sell or give away the rest just as long as none of it is given to any long lost relatives who might suddenly show up in an attempt to claim something.

Reply to
Upscale

No one is getting them! I'm taking mine with me! :)

Reply to
Mike M

I'm sort of in the same boat, myself- no kids, and no plans for any. Unless nature springs a surprise on my wife and I (which does sometimes happen, no matter what the intentions) I've decided that when I get too old to play with my toys anymore, I'm going to try to find a young guy (or girl) who has some aptitute and interest in the hobby, whether I know them at all or not, and bestow a huge gift on them.

If you look around a little, there is always someone who is struggling mightily to get themselves established in anything. I wouldn't just hand over nice tools to someone who just says they're interested in trying it out, but I am hoping that I can find someone who has a starter shop and is doing actual work with what they've got, and make an all-at-once upgrade happen for them.

If that doesn't seem likely, I'll try and donate it to some sort of vocational program for young people, like a school or community center.

Auctioning it off is the last resort, in my mind- I'd rather see it go to someone who I know will use and appreciate it, than see all my hard-won equipment divided up and sold for pennies on the dollar to some random people who may or may not use or appreciate it.

Reply to
Prometheus

Unless you upgrade, of course. I had a lot of offers on my midi lathe, but I hung onto it for about a year until I found a guy that I knew would use it before it left my shop. Same goes for all other upgraded equipment- you can't keep everything, but you *can* make sure it gets into the right hands when you let it go.

Reply to
Prometheus

Or even worse, auctioned to people whose only purpose is to purchase it and resell it for a profit.

I too have no kids and we have no intention to have any. Since I'm still relatively young (39), I haven't really put any thought into this topic, although certainly one could go at any time. I do have one young nephew who might someday be interested, but there are no other relative options beyond him. At least my wife knows that there is significant value in my shop, although if we both go at the same time in some accident or something, I'm not sure any of my other relatives would know that.

I like the idea of finding one person who is working with a starter shop and give them an instant upgrade. There are no woodworking clubs in my area (surprising), but perhaps down the road when I am getting up there in years that will change and I will encounter more folks in such a situation.

-Mark

Reply to
Mark Blum

Whatever you own when you die is used first to pay off any unpaid debts. Unless you leave a will, anything after that belongs to your legal heirs. Your friend could be liable for theft if he "keeps what he wants." So, if that's the way you want your tools dealt with, put it in a will.

Reply to
Just Wondering