Legacy of tools - who gets them?

There are a number of woodworking schools around; pick one in your area and make contact to assess interest and arrange a visit. Make the bequest while you're still around to supervise and enjoy the result. Don't forget to take advantage of tax benefits for the contribution.

Merrill

Reply to
David Merrill

I won't have any debts, other than assorted burial costs and I've given instructions for an immediate cremation and no church or funeral parlour service of any type. $500 is set aside for my friends and anyone who considers me to be their enemy to spend on liquor costs at some bar. And as far as a will goes, making someone my beneficiary *is* legally willing all my belongings to him. Same meaning, just different terms.

Reply to
Upscale

If I read the post correctly, his friend is the beneficiary of his estate via a will.(see "I've named my best friend as executor of my estate as well as beneficiary" above).

Dave Hall

Reply to
Dave Hall

Mon, Jan 8, 2007, 1:16pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com doth posteth: if I should die before I can sell the shop (I hope that will happen in about 25 years!) where will they go?

Well, aren't we pessimistic as Hell? I just turned 66, and I'm hoping "I" won't die for at least 100 years. Pack up your tools and send 'em to me. Personally, I want to be cremated, and might's well take my whole shop with me.

JOAT To listen is an effort, and just to hear is no merit. A duck hears also.

- Igor Stravinsky

Reply to
J T

Uh, what part of "executor and beneficiary" do you not understand?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Savin' up for that blast furnace to melt everything down are you?

Reply to
Upscale

"Upscale" wrote

More likely a steam engine of some kind.

It would be the ultimate metaphor as he will be going to that big steam engine in the sky.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Tue, Jan 9, 2007, 2:11pm snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com (Upscale) doth sayeth: Savin' up for that blast furnace to melt everything down are you?

Can't afford a long-ship, so figured that would the next best option.

JOAT To listen is an effort, and just to hear is no merit. A duck hears also.

- Igor Stravinsky

Reply to
J T

I'm taking mine with me.

Reply to
Dude

I'll be dead, and food for worms. I won't care at that point who has them.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

No need to get snippy. He didn't say the friend was the ONLY person to inherit from his estate. And he said he "told him that he can keep what he wants." That's not the same thing as leaving it to him in a will.

Reply to
Just Wondering

Perhaps the local office of the Boy Scouts of America would be a good way to "pass the tools on". But at the Scout office level so that all of the area dens of Cub Scouts AND Boy Scouts could benefit.

DJ Derringer

Upscale wrote:

Reply to
djderringer

As my wife sprinkles my ashes from an aircraft, the tools will follow.

Please duck!

Reply to
B A R R Y

Here's an idea I entertained a few years ago while working for a woodworking magazine. I think I suggested it to the editors, but I can't remember. I've told a few people.

It seems to me that we have a bunch of older woodworkers with good tools and a limited population of young woodworkers who can't, because they are trying to establish themselves, with no tools or cheap tools.

I suggest that someone--ideally an organization representing the woodworking community--set up a way for old woodworkers to leave those tools their family or friends don't want to an organization who would distribute them to young woodworkers who are just starting the hobby.

The criteria could be:

  1. Young woodworkers would submit an essay or some other statement about why they want to pursue woodworking, e.g. philosophy, design ideas, stories, or even samples of what they have already accomplished.
  2. Older woodworkers would will their tools to the organization (a pro bono lawyer would have to work on the wording of such an addendum).
  3. The organization, let's call it "Tools for the Future," would redestribute tools, and in the case of heavy machinery like Shopsmiths or cabinet saws, probably redistribute primarily based on geographic proximity.
  4. Tool recipients would keep a running journal or blog online telling how they are using the tools or pictures of what they've build or stories about how they organized their shop around the new equipment.They would also need to sign an agreement not to resell the tools to discourage poachers and posers.
  5. A lot of this could be organized on a Web site.
  6. Tool companies that pride themselves on the longevity of their equipment--Powermatic, Shopsmith--could advertise.

There are probably a dozen other details to work out (e.g. storage) but I think it's still an idea worth of consideration.

Or did I post this same idea here 5 years ago? I'm getting old and forgetful.

Reply to
Bobthepenguy

A few years back, I took a woodworking "class" through the tech. school, and there was a fair range people there that were to use the big equipment the school had that they didn't have at home- evidently, this had been going on for some years, and it was less a class than an opportunity for locals to rent shop time on the cheap. Might be an interesting way to meet other woodworkers.

Reply to
Prometheus

There's no need to save up for that- if I can make a blast furnace on the cheap, I'm sure a handy guy like JOAT can too.

Reply to
Prometheus

That's a really good idea, and has been implemented for other items in Masonic lodges for some time. Here's to hoping that something like that is around when I need it (probably about 75 years from now, if the other men in my family are anything to go by- maybe more, as I'm signifgantly more clean-living then most of them)

Reply to
Prometheus

In my state, the executor is not obligated to pay any of the deceased's debts unless he is instructed to do so in the will. It is the descision of the heirs whether to pay the debts or not. If they decide not to, the debts are just written off by the creditors or they can file claims in probate court if that is how the estate is handled. IN my state you have to post legal notice that anyone wanting to make a claim has X amount of time to do so.

Reply to
Mapdude

Thu, Jan 11, 2007, 6:24am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMcharter.net (Prometheus) doth sayeth: There's no need to save up for that- if I can make a blast furnace on the cheap, I'm sure a handy guy like JOAT can too.

Yeah, could, but won't. I figure I'll just put together a small mortar. Then when the time come I'll get cremated. Than have someone rent a Bobcat, dig a hole, torch the the shop, doze the remains into the hole, fill the hole. Then have 'em wait for a nice windy day, plant the mortar on top of the shop, load my ashes in, and shoot me into the breeze. Hmm, maybe that should be a condition for inheriting? Where'd I put my will?

JOAT I do not have the huge amout of faith needed to be an Atheist.

Reply to
J T

Your tools and workshop are gone. Better make sure you've got something else for somebody to inherit otherwise your ashes might find their way into the nearest latrine.

Reply to
Upscale