Left coast headed towards flesh detecting table saws in 2015

Page 3 of 3

This scares the hell out of me. When that was written fine. Now all I can say is follow the money. If I tried to explain who controls the money I would affend to many people. I'll just say look at the global banking system and who runs it.
Mike M
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@mindless.com says...

We have as a precedent that the Congress can tax you however much it wants to if you do not buy a product that it thinks you should buy, and the IRS can require proof that you have bought it.
So Congress can then tax you into poverty if you refuse to buy a patented product.
Sooner or later it will happen.
Damn Obama and damn the Supreme Court for letting him get away with it.
Add pictures here
✖
Han wrote:

Er, no, not to my knowledge.
It would be impossible, under law, to make a specific product mandatory. What an entity COULD do is mandate a device (or formula or whatever) that had specific "charateristics" with clever wording such that only one product in the world would match the specifications. Actually, this is fairly common.
In the case of the proposed California law, intelligent people can come up with circumventions. For example, assume the retail price of an economy table saw without "SawStop" is $150 and with "SawStop" is $650. The saw manufacturer could pack the saw with the SawStop uninstalled, just like the splitter or stand.
What the buyer of the saw does then is to "sell" the separately-packaged SawStop back to the saw manufacturer for $500. If that's too obvious, the buyer could sell the thing to an "independent" third company. What the third company does with the gizmo is kept a complete mystery (wink-wink).
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMgmail.com says...

Why would it be impossible? Anything that the Congress can be convinced to enact and the Supreme Court to uphold is "possible, under law". And both are getting crazy.

Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 11, 6:36 am, "John Grossbohlin"

Hell, it is a wonder that California hasn't outlawed table saws.
RonB
Add pictures here
✖

Don't give them any ideas.