Left coast headed towards flesh detecting table saws in 2015

Page 2 of 3
Larry Jaques wrote:

Gosh, considering the large size of and the relatively small number of the players in the saw making game, that doesn't seem fair to Gass. -- and I'm far from being a Gass-fan!

With annual sales at 800,000, that's $800k-$1.6 million, or up to $16M a decade. PLUS licensing fees to hundreds of companies. Not fair? Plus he'd have had global love and respect v. the global contempt he has now. It's a no-brainer to anyone but a lawyer.
-- [Television is] the triumph of machine over people. -- Fred Allen
On 7/12/2012 8:52 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Obviously that is subject to a lot of interpretation, definition and negotiation, as it is doubtful whoever had the patent on the intermittent windshield wiper was paid 25% of the profit on a car.
That said, if there is one thing generally accepted in business these days it is that our patent system is broken and has been subverted by none other than lawyers like Gass, particularly regarding technology/software patents.
It is to the point of absurdity, at unbelievable cost to the consumer and innovation ... for the past decade or so the patent office, underfunded and grossly inept in the usual bureaucratic manner, has been operating under the concept that they will patent anything presented to them, and let anyone affected by their ineptness fight it out in the courts, benefiting no one but guess who? ... asshat lawyers, like Gass.
A pox on the greedy bastards ...
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

+1
--
Best regards
Han

Such an act would play absolute havoc with the capitalist ideals of the US nation. For all the screaming that people do about Gass trying to get his invention mandated, the shrieking of the capitalists so affected by such an act by government setting a maximum price would be deafening.
Can you spell PRECIDENT!

Yes, it is spelled precedent.
The government of the United States has a long history of setting prices (called price controls) in the past. For example, President Nixon imposed price controls on August 15, 1971 finally ending in 1973.
:-)

word.
The spellings gods are unhappy with you.
I assume you mean Precedent.
I looked up precident, The dictionary never heard of this word.
I am not a net nanny or a a compulsive spell guy. But when people start talking about spelling on the net, it is some sort of instant karma. Don't understand it, it just happens to me, you and others. (I corrected two spelling errors in this message.) ;-)
On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 20:08:58 -0400, "Lee Michaels"

On 12 Jul 2012 00:06:34 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)

Perhaps the real *precedent* here is that you two spelling nerds need to go out and get real lives.
On 7/11/2012 7:23 PM, Dave wrote:

Hmmm ...
> You really are in a lousy mood today, more so than normal. Pax
Where have I heard that before? :)
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Hey! You go find your own criticisms instead of filching mine.
Han wrote:

Meh!
ALL patents are monopolies, guaranteed by the Constitution.
Article I, Section 8
"The Congress shall have the power... To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;..."

And? If a law makes use of a patent mandatory, licensing fees shall be reasonable it says somewhere IIRC. Wasn't that the case with telephone fees, and a host of other things?
--
Best regards
Han

The telephone companies were/are regulated monopolies. Totally different animals.

So are newspaper publishers, record companies, and American car makers.

Due to VoIP, Skype, etc.. telephone companies aren't what they used to be. They have been impacted by a host of other factors which make them a poor example of a regulated monopoly to use as a reference point.

...and your point is?

That however suggested telephone companies as a "success story", regarding the issues here, should seek a better example.

Sorry for the typo, that should be
That *whoever* suggested telephone companies as a "success story", regarding the issues here, should seek a better example