Lee Valley stores: London or Burlington?

I forgot to mention they have a really good wine and beer store on=20 Appleby Line a bit south of the 407 (or maybe it is the next (east)=20 Line...) Anyway I think there used to be a cigar store -- You just have=20 to run the CIA line of agents taking notes for prosecuting under the=20 trading with the enemy act..

Have you hiked the Bruce Trail? If not Try the area near Meaford and=20 Owen Sound one year -- The apple orchards are nice in the fall as well.=20 Great area for holidaying... Cranberry Lodge in Collingwood is nice --=20 Just go up the 6 HWY and follow the 26 Hwy to a nice relaxing holiday.

--=20 Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art

power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20 who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
WillR

For those of you looking for a decent road map of Ontario -- see the=20 Official Road map page...

that there are Co-ordinates beside the city names in the next links.=

Just search for Burling on this page...

on this page.
Is a toll road. They will send you a bill by mail if you have an=20 out-of-province plate.

I think it is $2 per transaction plus Kilometerage... ( 1 Mile =3D 1.67 K= M)

Get a detailed City map at the border crossing areas -- just look for=20 the usual Tourist places.

Merry Christmas and welcome all. Have a safe and fun trip.

--=20 Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art

power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20 who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
WillR

out-of-province plate.

Thanks. With a transponder it is not too bad, but $5 for 10km is absurd.

Reply to
Toller

Check the map I posted on this thread...

--=20 Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art

power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20 who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
WillR

If you take the QEW and cross the Welland Canal at St. Catherines, there is a currency exchange right there.

Reply to
Robatoy

I want to go to a particular location, I usually map it out on Google maps. The advantage is that you can zoom out or into any particular location while be able to maintain the details.

Upscale

American banks don't understand foreign currency. Finding a US bank that will exchange can be a challenge unless you're in NYC's financial district or a city right on the Canadian border. I wouldn't be optimistic about a good exchange rate - they don't hang onto foreign currency and ship it off to be exchanged quickly. When you do find a bank in the US that has foreign currency, they don't usually have very much on hand.

The last time I tried to exchange a largish sum of money in the US ($600) I was fingerprinted, photographed and my signature was faxed to the Canadian bank I dealt with for verification!! That was at the Chase Manhattan headquarters on Wall Street.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

The wood store is called "Exotic Woods"

is just around the corner from the Lee Valley in Burlington. I go there a lot as their prices are generally cheaper than A&M wood in Cambridge. As for the 407, I am also a regular on that road, as I work at the Airport in Toronto. To go from the 403 at the skyway to 403 and Winston Churchill costs me about $3.50 with a transponder. If you don't have a transponder then it gets very expensive in a hurry. If you get on the road without a transponder you might as well ride it as far as you can seeing as they will get you for the "non transponder" fee. You can ride end to end (100Km) for around $15.00. Hope this info is enough.

Lars

Robatoy wrote:

Reply to
Highspeed

And of course these guys -- A&M Wood Specialty if you are >=20

--=20 Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art

power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20 who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
WillR

Any Metro Detroit bank will handle the currency exchange, but you are better off using AMTs to draw the money you need in the currency you need - if you do not have strange cash already. At most banks you will get roughly 70% of the value of the money in exchange after the artificial exchange rate and the transaction fee and the commissions. At the ATM you normally get about 95 to 97% of the value of the money.

If I have to change money, I do it on Bay Street in Toronto when I am there or at the airport in Amsterdam, before I leave the international area. These are the only two places I have found that have reasonable fees and exchange rates. The returned value is normally in the 90% range.

I travel 51 weeks a year and do work in 31 countries. I have some cash from most of them.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Houseman

And even if you have an in-province plate :-)

Reply to
Doug Payne

Wainwright, and his place in Kitchener:

kid (well, not really a kid any more, but still one to me). Check it out if you're in the area.

Reply to
Doug Payne

Do they really have everything on their stocklist? That is incredible.

Reply to
Toller

Well I can't say for sure, but I have yet to go for wood and walk away empty handed!! Well, there was this one time I was looking for an off cut and couldn't find one, but they sure have a great selection.

I can say the same for A&M wood in Cambridge but again they seem more expensive for some things. Exotic Woods has a price list in store but they have yet to update their website.

I have never heard of AJW but I will check them out now!! Thanks,

Lars

Toller wrote:

Reply to
Highspeed

He's not open 'regular' retail hours, so make sure you check before you visit.

Reply to
Doug Payne

Now I am lost. What is AJW? I couldn't find it in the thread anywhere. I thought my newreader was screwing up again, so I went to Google. It is not there either.

What is AJW, and how did it get in the thread?

Reply to
Toller

-------------------------------------- From Doug Payne...

kid (well, not really a kid any more, but still one to me). Check=20 it out if you're in the area.

-------------------------------

--=20 Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art

power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20 who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
WillR

Another example of why including context with posts is important. Something may be buried in the details of a past post or the parent post may not propagate to all news servers. Doesn't have to be (and shouldn't be) a complete copy of the post, just enough to preserve the context of the message.

Mark & Juanita

.

No, sorry to say that, as of 2 minutes ago, the Burlington store shows 153 catalogued items out of stock... but there's another 12,000+ that ARE in stock..... :)

Cheers -

Rob

Reply to
Robin Lee