Lee Valley praises

Page 1 of 3
Everybody seems to be singing the praises of LV. Well I for one am not happy . They moved in to this area a couple of years back, although I've only been going there for several months. They keep sending me their catalogues, you know Tools, Hardware, and Gardening. You just know that in their latest there will be something that you "need". Well it seems that I'm always in there with my sparse spare cash. My other hobbies are suffering and it don't seem right. Now the SWMBO is taken to browsing the catalogues as well. Its getting so that I can't sneak off the LV without some company. I don't believe it right that one company should get so much of my attention. Its a good thing winter came along so that I can't work out in my garage. So I have turned some attention to my photo hobby(going to photo my first hockey game next week). However LV is very sneaky. I see that they have an IR heater that would no doubt work very well in the garage. They must have put that in there so that guys like me would continue to patronize them in the winter. I mentioned this heater to the SWMBO, so if you don't hear from me you know I'm back out in the garage. Ken, temporarily not makin dust in NS
I've been eyeballing that heater! Has anyone used one? Would it keep me from freezing in my uninsulated shop if I hung it over my bench? Or is it a gimmick?

Blue wrote:

I've got one in my garage. It works well if you are standing close to it, but is by no stretch a space heater (but it isn't meant to be either). If you were to put it over your bench, I expect it would work quite well for you.
The version with the light in the middle wasn't available when I bought mine. Too bad, it would be handy.
...Mike
Mike, How close is "close"? Maybe I should get a Mr. Heater propane with a blower.

Blue wrote:

Hard to say, since I don't know how cold it gets where you are. Where I am (Ottawa, Canada), tomorrow's high is -21C (-6F), and at that temperature, I would probably need to be within 8-10 feet of it for it to be effective.
...Mike
Whoa! A high of -6???? And you need to be 8 - 10 ft from the heater??? I think it will work just fine for me. I am in Virginia and -6 would keep me from even walking across the yard to get to the shop. LOL We are having what we call a "vicious" cold snap right now...it's 23 at midnight.

For us up here in Canada, (I'm in Toronto), 23F would be like a summer's day. It's not as cold here as in Ottawa, but it's still a might nippy out there. Don't why I'm here actually, I hate the cold. I've actually considered moving to the US. Any state where the landscape is mostly flat and it doesn't get colder than 40F would be like heaven to me.

Upscale writes:

Yow. Sounds boring, but...I like mountains and know your reasons for liking flatland. Northern Florida might do you well. What is called a hill there is called a bump elsewhere, a lot like much of Ohio back from the river (too cold there, though).
IIRC, the lowest temperature I saw in Jacksonville (many years ago, though), was in December at around 58 deg. F.
Dunno about January and by February I was at Kaneohe Bay, HI. Charlie Self "Brevity is the soul of lingerie." Dorothy Parker http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/myhomepage/business.html
I'm ok with mountains, as long as they're all downhill. I used to like mountains and the outdoors too, fishing and hunting, but them days are gone. Saw a blurb on a news service too long ago saying that someone compared Kansas to a pancake and Kansas is flatter.

Upscale responds:

I'm getting that way with my bad knees. I can't comment on Kansas, never having been there. Arkansas a few times, but that's not flat. Or not all flat.
Charlie Self "Brevity is the soul of lingerie." Dorothy Parker http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/myhomepage/business.html
|I'm ok with mountains, as long as they're all downhill. I used to like |mountains and the outdoors too, fishing and hunting, but them days are gone. |Saw a blurb on a news service too long ago saying that someone compared |Kansas to a pancake and Kansas is flatter.
My wife and I are trying to visit all of the states before we croak. This past summer we were in our RV and traveling through Colorado where we visited Great Sand Dunes National Monument. Near there is a place called Zapata Falls which involves a short hike to reach. Getting the best view of the falls requires getting your feet wet and there were some folks sitting on a bench changing shoes.
We struck up a conversation with a woman and the subject turned to where we were all from. The woman said she was from Kansas and my wife said, "Oh, we're going there next."
With a puzzled look on her face the woman said, "Why?"
On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 09:04:31 -0700, Wes Stewart wrote:

There's a wide spot in the road called Why, Arizona. I can imagine the covered wagon crawling across the desert and pulling to a stop. The husband says "This is it." The wife says "Why?"
-Doug
On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 16:03:10 GMT, Doug Winterburn
|There's a wide spot in the road called Why, Arizona.
Why that's only a few miles west of me. (Sorry I couldn't help myself)

Is that anywhere close to Nothing, AZ (pop. 3)? Which is basically a gas station in the middle of nowhere on the road between Wickenburg and Wickieup. Got a big yellow sign next to the road that says "Hey! Nothing."
--

Jerry Maple
General Dynamics Decision Systems
On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 12:30:41 -0700, Jerry Maple wrote:

No, Why is south of Aho on Highway 85.
-Doug
Upscale wrote:

Kansas is cold though, I think. You want something further south or closer to water. Florida is spendy. Why not try Savannah, Georgia? It gets colder than 40 there sometimes, and I think they even see snow once every ten years or so, but usually people are coming in to work in coats and scarves and wool hats on days when I'm taking my light jacket off because it's too hot.
Is the terrain generally flat in Georgia?

It is over near Savannah. And when that volcano drops into the sea over by Africa, I'm gonna have ocean front property over here near Atlanta...
Seriously, Savannah is a very nice area. I'd like to move near there someday.
Mike
wrote:

Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
Mike Patterson wrote:

I'll have ocean front property here in the mountains of Virginia too. I already have my plan. Christiansburg beach. Nudists only, no fat people. Admission, $5. (I couldn't go onto my own beach, but that's beside the point. :)

Too big for me. Of course, so is Hot-lanta.
Too flat too, and the same applies to both.
I like Georgia though. South Carolina too. I'd consider moving to either of those states for $500,000. It would take $1,000,000 to get me to move to North Carolina, and $65,000,000 to get me into Pennsylvania northwards. For $583,000,000,000 USD I'll even move to Yellow Knife.
Hey, I'm not unwilling to relocate. I'm just demanding. :)
Upscale wrote:

In Savannah especially. It's right on the coast.
Most coastal areas in the south are pretty much as flat as Kansas I'd say. When you move inland a bit, it's a different story. Everything is still comparatively flat, but they don't bother to grade the roads as well as they do in higher country. The strange result is that there are actually worse grades to negotiate rolling through, say, the Midlands of South Carolina than one might expect.
If you want warm and flat, you don't have to limit yourself to Florida. Even the Tidewater region of Virginia is fairly warm, and quite flat. I think the ocean has a mitigating effect on snowfall and climate. They get some snow, and some cold, but it's a different world from here in the New River Valley.