Lee Valley optical center punch

Page 3 of 6
In days of yore, my father was an English teacher. His favorite saying regarding punctuation was "When you are in doubt, leave the comma out. If you don't give a damn, anywhere a comma slam." And a fine poet he was.     mahalo,     jo4hn
Charlie Self wrote:

Rob Lee notes:

Like I know, but I've recently heard some people in their early 40s doing it. Makes me cringe even more.
Charlie Self

And the most frequently used (if not the only used) query: "What's up with that?" Which can mean - how did that happen? - why did that happen? - did that happen? - will that happen? - what does that mean? - what do you think about that? or probably almost anything else that can end with a question mark.
BTW, I think your conjugation must be the formal and rarely used one. IME, the present tense is the only one ever employed. So in describing a conversation that occurred yesterday, one might say "So I'm like, 'What's up with that?' and he's like ..."
<sigh>
Heeeeeeeeyyyyyyyy! Whaaaaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzzzzzzuuuppp?
John Carlson wrote:

Charlie Self wrote:

You know, it's really, like, you know, endemic in today's, you know, society.
I hear people, you know, on the radio being interviewed, and they like, you know say "you know" every other word, you know?
Even, you know, relatively scholarly people.
One explanation I heard was that, you know, it's not acceptable to say, you know, "uh," so people, you know, say "you know" instead of "uh" now, you know?
OK, I'll stop it, and I promise to, you know, NEVER do this again, you know?
I'm ready to slap mySELF.
Silvan writes:

Don't let me stop you. :)
Charlie Self
Charlie Self wrote:

My God, Charlie, sounds like Wife and I.
Part of it is that Man/ Woman communication thing and part of it is her not learning 'English' until she was about 15 when she came to the U.S.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
Charlie Self wrote:

It may not do any good, but record a conversation of her explaining something to you. There is nothing like listening to yourself repeating a word or a phrase over and over to understand how stupid it sounds. That's a trick used in teaching people who need to talk a lot such as teachers, salesmen, etc. The thing I hate hearing most, and I have done it, is to repeatedly end a statement with, "ok?" But "like" is about as detestable.
Ahhh, my favorite subject.

Don't be disrespecting the homeys, bro. As a former government employee, verbification is one of the things that drives me nuts. It starts there and then makes it to the streets.
But among my top annoyances is the misuse of your/you're, as well as their/there/they're.
Add in opps for oops.
OWW: Not to mention joiner for jointer and planner for planer.

People who can't spell (or type) worth a damn like to argue it doesn't matter. As a professional communicator, I maintain that if one's ideas aren't clearly and accurately presented, one won't be taken seriously, irrespective of the efficacy of those ideas.
Thank you.
LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
LRod writes:

You got that right.
Charlie Self

I would add to the list the people who don't recognize that 'sight', 'site' and 'cite' are different words with quite different meanings.
I used to be a reasonably good typist, but a hand injury through off my timing. Mainly, I hit keys out of order so that letters are transposed. Because of this, I am seeing the results of stupid spell check software more frequently. My wife, who teaches writing at college, laments the era of spell checkers with the corresponding lazy proof reading. The excuse is too often "The computer said it was OK so it has to be the right word." They don't understand that the spell checker does not understand the semantics, and can only look up correct spellings, not whether the word is used appropriately.
Bob Haar wrote...

Did you do that on purpose? (G)
Jim

The hand injury - no; the use of "through" instead of "threw" - I tried to sneak that buy (:-)
On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 13:46:20 -0500, Bob Haar wrote:

What was the price?
-Doug
| |> Bob Haar wrote... |>> I used to be a reasonably good typist, but a hand injury through off my |>> timing. |> |> Did you do that on purpose? (G) | |The hand injury - no; the use of "through" instead of "threw" - I tried to |sneak that buy (:-)
Well if yew whir to ask mi four advise, I'd advice ewe knot too due it again. One thyme is all write, butt any moor wood bee two many.
Like, you know what I mean, Dude?
<snippage>

more
too
Very cute with the *threw* Bob. Here's something else to throw some more mud in the mix, AND drive a spell checker crazy.
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cambrigde Uinervtisy, it deossn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitil raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
Thnaks.
Nahmie
Norman D. Crow wrote:

Very interesting! :-)
LegMan (remove 999 for eMail)

For me, it's less/fewer. Not even the journalists and editors bother to get it right anymore.

I met one of those once - a university English Literature professor! She submitted an article to our club's newsletter and, after reading it, I advised the editor to send it back to her for a rewrite. Imagine what the students are learning from her!
Mike
LRod wrote:

And here's another one (seen mostly on TV DIY shows lately): use of the word "my" in place of "the"...
"I'm going to use my table saw now to cut this..." "I'll add my turkey now to the pot..." "I'll go over to my oven now and check the temperature..."
In the first place, in exactly ZERO of these occurrences are the objects in question actually owned by the speaker, so the use of "my" is actually incorrect. In spite of that, did we really think they were going to add "someone else's" turkey to the pot? Or they were going to use "someone else's" table saw?
This has unfortunately spread into common usage as well; my sister (over 30 years old) frequently says things like:
"I like to have my orange juice with breakfast" "I'm going to Starbucks to get my drink"
Well, like, you know, DUH, of course it's YOUR orange juice, it came out of YOUR refrigerator :-)

I would not argue with your sister on that one, maybe she likes to have OJ once a day, she is saying she likes to have hers(sp?) with breakfast. If she said "I like to have OJ with breakfast", that doesn't preclude her from having it with lunch too. Example conversation below:
Kevin = K Kevins(sp? I think there's supposed to be an apostrophe?) Sister S
K--Good morning sis', I just stopped by to install these fabulous mahogany floor to ceiling bookcases for your new library. I'm sorry it's so early, but I wanted to get an early start because there are seven of them and I'll have to make a couple of trips, and then try to get the rolling ladder on this afternoon. (now wiping slobber/drool off keyboard) I brought some breakfast burritos for us.
S--Morning Kev', I can't wait to fill up the new cases. What, no OJ?
K--Sorry, I forgot, I don't drink it at breakfast, I have MINE (not shouting, just emphasizing) in the afternoon, in the warm, dappled (sp?) sunlight under the big tree in the backyard, tossing a ball or stick for Buster The Beast at Tenagra-good boy. (Sorry, that's me)
S-"I like to have my OJ with breakfast."
K-I won't forget next time, just make the check out to "Kevin Fleming", since you're my sister I'll give you a break, make it for $10,000 even.
End of story. See how nice that works.
Steve