LegMan (remove 999 for eMail)

Reply to
LegMan

On 29 Dec 2003 08:54:13 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) brought forth from the murky depths:

Yea, though I walk through the valley of Minwax, I shall stain no Cherry.

Larry Jaques

On 29 Dec 2003 08:57:52 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) brought forth from the murky depths:

No, they'll say "There's many reasons why we are going to try and tell you what the tempachur is going to be, during the twenny-four hours coming up, y'know?"

(I'll bet that would have gone PSA over 80% of heads here if we hadn't recently discussed it.)

- Yea, though I walk through the valley of Minwax, I shall stain no Cherry.

Larry Jaques

No, it's not wrong. The apostrophe is fine in examples like Sylvan's "straight A's."

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

It's high school English content in Ontario. At least for now. Not that I am any example.

John

Charlie Self wrote:

Reply to
Eddie Munster

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 16:14:02 +0000, Andy Dingley brought forth from the murky depths:

That's OK. If they can screw up their title, the rest is probably hosed, too. s/b either "Eats Shoots & Leaves" (as a koala might) or "Eats, Shoots, & Leaves".

- Yea, though I walk through the valley of Minwax, I shall stain no Cherry.

Larry Jaques

On Mon 29 Dec 2003 11:47:11a, Jim Wilson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.west.earthlink.net:

There, see? They changed it while I wasn't looking again! In high school I was told in no uncertain terms, it's straight As, not A's, it's SATs, not SAT's, and now here's you, and this guy:

take your eyes off the grammar book for a measly ten or twenty years and look what happens. :-)

Reply to
Dan

(G) So true, so often! I don't know whether this one has really changed, but your point is well taken. This particular rule, for as long as I can remember, has been that the apostrophe is used when needed to prevent confusion. So it's in the I's and A's, but not necessarily in the SATs.

Of course, Jack Lynch's "house style" is the best answer. Accordingly, SAT's and 1960's -- which Mr. Lynch abhors -- are fine by some authorities and are optional, if not preferred, according to others.

To quote Mr. Lynch again, "The so-called rules of English grammar and style were not spoken by a burning bush; they're just guidelines about what's likely to be effective. If you learn to treat them that way, you'll live a happier life." Sage advice, I think.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

Pro'ly true, but I tend to a speech that's rather more flowery than absolutely necessary because those are the first words that come into my head. I've always been that way. Back to first grade or so when I complained to the principal that "her hands descended from the sky like talons of fire and plowed furrows into my back" when some big female bully beat me up. Or so the story goes. That's not actually a first-hand memory, but I've heard it told so many times that I believe it. That principal still recognizes me 25 years later too.

Yeah, I got beaten up a lot. It wasn't until I learned how to say "ain't" once in awhile, and even drop in the occasional "we was" or "I knowed" that I was finally, blissfully able to camouflage myself and slip beneath everyone's radar.

It doesn't always work though. I forget. "We was comin' home yestidy, ah believe 't were 'round midnight, and one o' them telly fone poles rised up outta th' ground like an obelisk of darkest obsidian before us..."

Reply to
Silvan

In English probably. It's different in other languages, and the number of other-language people speaking and using English every day has probably blurred this line.

Come, tira y sale. (three verbs)

Alimentos, vástagos y hojas. (three nouns)

Reply to
Silvan

Didn't this group used to be about woodworking?

Reply to
Victor De Long

Oh, shaddup!

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Okay, I've got the KING BIG DADDY of 'em all:

Irregardless. Ne?

The you're/your is also a big one for me. As is they're/their/there.

However, as a young person, I have gone through the like, you know, language phase, okay? I just taught myself not to talk that way anymore. I did that the same way I taught myself to use the f-word at least 3 times every sentence in the Marine Corps. I also taught myself to stop doing that.

Do y'all (that's a _word_, I don't care what y'all say) think it has a lot to do with present company? Do kids (or can they) speak one way in the chic lingo of the day, and speak to rational humans in English?

-Phil Crow

Reply to
Phil Crow

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 13:38:32 -0500, "Norman D. Crow" brought forth from the murky depths:

Nahmie, you should have hit him with the "Wood is endangered so we are doing our parts to conserve it. Talk about wood is reserved for weekend days, A.M. ONLY, please."

"Thank you for your immediate compliance."

- Yea, though I walk through the valley of Minwax, I shall stain no Cherry.

Larry Jaques

Is that kinda like the new US policy - the forrests are full of combustibles?

Renata

Reply to
Renata

ROFLMAO!

Sorry Lar, after all the pi**in' & moanin' started earlier about OT posting, I wasn't feeling particularly humorous or charitable. Just thought the door should be slammed shut *now*.

Nahmie

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

The talk around here regarding "healthy forests initiatives" is "no forests, no forest fires". Obvious. Pa-dum-dum. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Makes sense. In California. But what about the spotted owls?

Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. " Dorothy Parker

Charlie Self

On Wed 31 Dec 2003 12:04:58p, "Slowhand"

Reply to
Dan

j4

Reply to