Laid Off and Executive Desk Design

Page 3 of 3
On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 12:21:41 -0600, Chris Friesen

Thanks for the reply.
I'm with you on the difference between show and go for varying clients.
On the ergonomic side - I need to solve that without having the Frankenstein hardware that is out there now for keyboard trays. I have some thoughts but nothing yet on paper.
Tom Watson tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet www.home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
*snip*

My middle desk drawer is held in place by two wooden runners, just like the other drawers in my desk. You could do the same with a keyboard tray, and even make the keyboard tray removable and a middle desk drawer an option so those of us (them?) with laptops don't have a useless keyboard tray.
Puckdropper

Sun, Apr 13, 2008, 5:20pm From: snipped-for-privacy@erehwon.com (TomWatson) As some of you know, about five years ago I gave up the cabinet shop and entered corporate life as project manager for a millwork company. <snip>
Hi'ya Tom. I don't come around here often anymore, too.l. I don't know what, but it is now. Never glance at more than the first two pages anymore, so just happened to see this thread. I'm one of the 10%, I didn'tr know. Getting laid off is a bummer. I didn't exactly get laid off, unless you can call retting unemployed because they want out of business laid off. Happened twice. Either way, it sucks.
A major portion of my military time was spent running a desk. Only one was wood, that I can reall off hand. One thing I really liked about it was it came down to the floor all around, not just the legs. That way I could slip off my dress boots and no one would know. One feature I would have liked would have been some sor of foot rest uner it.d
Personally, my view on an 'executive desk' is it's usually a wheelbarrow load of money spend on a desk for a guy that doesn't do any work anyway. Faux painted MDF would probably do for most of 'em, most of 'em probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway.
JOAT 10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I do not have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.
On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 18:35:01 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Thanks for the reply.
A privacy screen for the boot hiding is certainly an option.
As far as the "wheelbarrow load of money" - I want that - right in my pocket.
Tom Watson tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet www.home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
A lot of replies, but this is such a good topic, I feel compelled to throw in my two cents.
If the goal is custom, then I think a consideration of what may be deemed "custom" for the client.
My mind initially thought of the Andy Rooney desk I see on his 60 minutes segments. A long time ago Andy dedicated his segment to his desk. It is a top made from a slab cut from a tree. To my eyes it is a terrific custom piece to adorn a desk. Below this top I think it is standard drawers.
If the goal is something unusual, then such a slab of a tree is a great top. As for the cabinet beneath, well lots of potential.
A recent high tech idea is a "pop-up" LCD/plasma display. I am considering this for a home LCD purchase. There are several mechanisms around. I did a google search to see what is available.
The executives likely will love whatever they feel is not otherwise available. Maybe "pop-up" displays will soon be the norm, but as of today, they are unusual.
I also like drawers or doors which open themselves after an initial click. Another example where hardware is available.
I think the "wow" factor helps in the executive decision process.
Dave Paine.

Thanks for the reply.
I'm with you on the idea of Custom and the Wow Factor.
I need to start drawing soon and will try to come up with some stuff that embraces both.
Tom Watson tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet www.home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1