Kind of OT : How do you determine the rotation of a motor?

Im rebuilding an old Powermatic tablesaw circia 1950's Im looking for a motor for it but not sure if I need clockwise or counterclockwise rotation motor. Do you determine the motor rotation by look at the shaft towards the motor and see which way it needs to turn or is it from the motor end looking down the shaft?

Thanks Rob

You can reply to me at r_b_v at v_e_r_z_e_r_a doht c_o_m

remove _ to get the correct address

Reply to
Rob V

The first option

Reply to
ddinc

I think you determine it by looking at the business end of the motor. IIRC my left tilt saw has the motor on the left side of the saw and the motor runs counter clockwise or left. I also recall the direction being described as left or tight spin but again from the business end of the motor.

Reply to
Leon

If it is a 3 phase motor, it can be switched by wiring it differently.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

If you look at the shaft end of the motor it needs to turn the same direction as the blade (assuming the motor is to the right of the belt/blade as on most saws - standing in front of the machine).

Note that some motors are easily reversed with a simple wiring change, but some are not. Sometimes the inside of the cover over the wire connection will tell you if it is not.

Reply to
RonB

Open the connections box and look at the wiring diagram is what I prefer.

However, if you're putting a 1 HP Baldor on your open stand Delta bandsaw, you'll need to reverse the shaft in the housing to get clearance to open the bottom door, which reverses the direction, so don't do the rewire first. DAMHIKT

Reply to
George

Depends on the supplier, some go from the shaft end others from the lead end, some manufactures add SE (shaft end) or LE (lead end) after The CW or CCW notation. If the motor is reversible it is a moot point. FrankC

Reply to
Frank Campbell

Pretty unusual to find a motor suitable for use on a table saw that won't run either direction. Switch any two leads on a three phase motor or reverse the leads to the start winding on a single phase motor. Rare to find one that won't run either way.

bob g.

Le>>Im rebuilding an old Powermatic tablesaw circia 1950's Im looking for a

Reply to
Robert Galloway

While that may be true, I had to replace the motor on my Jet cabinet saw a couple of weeks after getting it. The Jet rep asked 2 times if I had left tilt or right tilt. They stocked both CW and CCW for this saw. Seems to me it would be cheaper to stock one with instructions of how to wire it if it were that simple in all cases.

Reply to
Leon

Yahbut, the design of the left tilt saw is a mirror image of the right tilt so you can't just flip a right tilt motor 180 and change the shaft direction onna 'count of the pin and bolt on the hanging ears wouldn't line up with the casting (wrong hand).

At least that's the way the Unisaw is set up and if memory serves me Jet reverse injineered the Unisaw for their saw.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Probably right again Keith, Although IIRC there are no hanging ears, just 4 bolts and 4 slots. I still have the old motor and it looks like it could be hung either way. A pivot bracket bolts to the motor and then the pivot bracket connects via a pivot pin and a bolt to tighten the tensioned motor and belts

Reply to
Leon

Not knowing the answer but are you sure direction of rotation is the only difference?

bob g.

Reply to
Robert Galloway

Well the mounting bracket is symmetrical and the start and run capacitors are mounted oppositely from that bracket. I cannot see how their locations would matter if the motor was mounted on a right tilt.

Reply to
Leon

If this is accurate, I'm surprised they offer two motors. I've been messing with AC motors for 45 years and the number I've seen that can't reverse is very small. Certainly none that would be suitable for use on a table saw.

bob g.

Reply to
Robert Galloway

Maybe the only difference is that they are rewired to run in a set direction so that they do not have to take a call 50% of the time from a customer telling him how to rewire it.

Reply to
Leon