Justifying the Donino.

Page 1 of 4
This morning some where between 10 .am. and 11 a.m. I cut 168 mortices, precisely placed with no pencil marks or measuring. Some mortices are not visible, the plywood panels have equal numbers of mortices on each end.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/6841899939/in/photostream/lightbox /
On 2/8/2012 11:30 AM, Leon wrote:

BTY I will use $6.72 worth of 5mm Domino's tenons to in these mortices'.
On 2/8/2012 11:33 AM, Leon wrote:

CRAP Strike that, $3.36 worth of 5mm Domino tenons.
On 2/8/2012 11:30 AM, Leon wrote:

Like they say a picture is worth a thousand words (or 1,236,469 words on the wRec).
All I have to say is ... Wow!
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

You remember my pantry? I am building 3 book cases, upper and lower units on each with the same construction detail. The lower cabinet unit will be 16" deep x 30.75" tall by 40" wide, The upper cabinet unit will be 12" deep x 49" tall by 40" wide. All in white oak with clear varnish, no two tone, and plain glass.
So altogether 24" wider than my pantry and about 16" shorter.
NO DRAWERS!, just doors with arched tops in the inner sections
The Domino is not as light weight as most biscuit cutters that I have used, it starts getting kinda heavy at about 100 mortices. ;~) But imagine doing this with a router, or bench top mortiser. Th only other way I would want to do this is with a multirouter.
On 2/8/2012 11:38 AM, Swingman wrote:

Well it took me that many words to count the slots and tenons. ;~)
How is the desk coming along?
On 2/8/2012 12:38 PM, Swingman wrote:

On 2/08/12 12:30 PM, Leon wrote:

--
Froz...

On 2/8/12 12:08 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:

13 hours to count them? That's some serious ADD. :-p
--

-MIKE-

On 2/08/12 2:07 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

--
Froz...

On 2/8/2012 1:34 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:

Ah.... you remember old "stubby". LOL

Perhaps the problem was he was trying to count them as he set them up, and kept knocking them down. ;-)
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 2/8/2012 12:08 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:

Two Times! LOL
On 2/8/2012 11:30 AM, Leon wrote:

One more thing that the domino tenons excel at which I would have never though of doing with biscuits.
When matibg two pieces with these 5mm domino's I can glue and tap the pieces together, lift by the top piece, rotate 180 degrees, and then attach the opposite side. The domino's hold the parts together before the glue dries. Basically parts stay in place with no fear of parts coming apart from their own weight..

The subject has been bugging me all day... Why on earth does it have to be justified? Why can't we just buy stuff because it strikes our fancy on a whim? So what if it only gets used occasionally if it makes us happy? I've got some tools that don't get used often but when I need them I NEED them... and when I need them I say to myself "I'm glad I bought this."
I think you guys need more practice if you are locked into this "justify" mind set... ;~)
John

Don't look now, but you just proved that you, yourself, were "justifying" the purchase with a "need", no matter how occasionally that need arose. :)

I think you need to think a bit more about what you said and why you even took exception to someone's "justification", especially when he was pretty damn specific about what that was?
Every tool purchase, at a price level that is determined by the user and according to his need, has a "justification" for purchase.
Except for the bargain table at the Borg, and maybe even then, I would love to hear your explanation for when that is not always the case?
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

First off... it was tongue in cheek. ;~) Point was buy it... enjoy it... if it turns out that you use it a lot and it's a quality tool you'll forget what you paid for it. If you use it and it's junk you'll never forget what you paid. If you don't use it and stumble across it years later you may not even remember buying it...

Yes, price is an issue. Everyone has a price point/budget that comes into play when making purchases. In my woodworking club there are guys who drop many thousands without blinking an eye and there are guys who agonize over seemingly trival and relatively inexpensive items. Most fall somewhere in between.

Over time I've had occasion to purchase tools, including stationary tools, that were of no clear use to me at the time but they struck my fancy. My 1905 Crescent 36" bandsaw is the largest such purchase... stands about 8 feet tall! To me it is just way cool! I bought it because I liked the idea of having a 36" bandsaw not because I needed it--though I can think of things I could do with it that would be difficult or impossible on my 18" saw. One of my female friends, as a way of busting my chops, refers to it as my "big tool." Maybe that was the real justification. ;~)
"It's cheap" led me to buy a LOT of stuff in January 2004 when Woodworker's Warehouse went out of business. The last couple days things were selling for a few pennies on the dollar, e.g., I think I paid $1 for a table saw side table that I set up as an out feed table and a buck a piece for things like shaper rub bearings. Some of that stuff is still brand new in the wrapper all these years later. While rearranging the drawer for my shaper stuff this evening, to make room for three new cutters, I came across a large ogee cutter that I forgot I had from the WW purchases. It's so big that 5/4 or 6/4 would be needed to see the whole profile. It's brand new in the box and here I am 8 years later and I have a project coming up where I might be able to use it... good thing I was rearranging the drawer or I might have purchased another one and paid real money for it! ;~)
Perceived need drives some purchases... existing tools could serve. Variety makes things more interesting... biscuits, pocket screws, mortise and tenon, nails... all could be used but corrugated fasteners and staples could work took. Gotta have them all. ;~)
John

Well no damn wonder!
:-J is how I remember "tongue in cheek". :)

Good points all ... very different from my usual reason for buying, but certainly valid. Thanks.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Wellllllll I don't have to justify it but some do and think it is crazy to spent that kind of money when they can do it with a bench top mortiser, router, DP and chisel, chisel. etc.
I think that because the machine is relative expensive that most don't seriously consider it and therefore have no clue of how much time it will save them. For me it saves time and encourages me to use better building techniques.