Jointer purchase decision

Page 2 of 3

Joe Barta wrote:

ROFLMAO.
Sorry but that cought me off guard. To say that in the middle of what looked like a normal intelligent conversation. lol.
--
Thank you,

Dude, this is really starting to sound like a troll. The answer is it doesn't really matter. Just make it a little bit.
brian
x-no-archive:yes
I promise I am not a troll. I fooled with the router table yesterday trying to do what you said. What I realized is, my fence is all one piece. When you adjust the outfeed side, the infeed side moves as well if that makes sense. In this scenario, how do you get the infeed table 1/32 lower than the outfeed table? My router and table is a ryobi from home depot I believe. brianlanning wrote:

Router fences are often designed to be even because that's what you almost always want, and it makes for a simpler/cheaper design. The only thing I can suggest is either replace the fence or and/remove material from one of the sides.
brian
Or add a sub-fence to both sides and make the outfeed sub-fence slightly thicker.
Or do it the easy (faster) way. Take a strait board and do whatever needed to mount it to the router table. Put a notch in the middle of one edge for the bit. On the outfeed side, use a piece of double sided tape to stick a piece of plastic laminate, plastic sheet, sheetmetal or anything else about the right thickness. Jointer fence, fast and simple.

stryped wrote:

Stick a piece of Formica to the outfeed side.
It is harder to set up a fence that way as you have to precisely adjust the amount of cut of the bit but it is about all you can do. With a split fence, you can set up the infeed fence and bit, cut a few inches and move the outfeed fence out to the cut edge...much easier.
-- dadiOH ____________________________

Norm just showed exactly how to do this on "Router 101" part 2, which aired yesterday on my local PBS station. The "slide the outfeed side against the cut edge" method looks a lot easier than trying to get the two halves of the fence precisely parallel and even with the bit by measuring first.

--
John

It's "half a sixteenth". <G>
Really!

Which half?
Edwin Pawlowski (in _%wIf.344$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com) said:
| message || It's "half a sixteenth". <G> || || Really! | | Which half?
The small half.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

The better one!
stryped wrote:

Here's what you do... mount a 1/2" or greater straight bit (if you have one) into your router (if you have one) mount that router into a router table (if you have one)... put on a pair of safety glasses and maybe a face mask and some shin guards... grab a pine board, recite the Lord's Prayer once or twice and just dive in with both feet. You'll figure it out. Be very aware of where your fingers are at all times and let me know how you make out with it.
Best of luck,
Joe Barta
Joe Barta wrote:

I might have gotten that one wrong... I was thinking of Psalm 23... "as I walk through the valley of the shadow of death..." Oh well, another punch line mangled.
Joe Barta
He probably wants to face-joint.
brian
A good had plane will take care of faces or edges. It also has the advantages that it is mostly noise free, does more than one thing and hangs on the wall when not in use.

I had this discussion recently with somone via e-mail. The conclusion was to consider one of the generally cheaper 6" long bed jointers such as http://www.wilkemachinery.com/Yorkcraft.tpl <<$339 or http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0452 <<$325
Here's a suggestion: gamble $15 and run a want ad in your local paper. I was planning on buying a new 14" bandsaw this winter and on a whim decided to run an want ad right after the holidays. I ended up getting offers for six band saws, including three that I thought were real steals. I bought a Jet 14" (with aftermarket fence, Carter guides, three speed kit, a bunch of blades, etc.) for $225. The receipts the guy had in the manual say he spent about $900 for the whole mess four years ago, and the saw had barely been used. I'm sure there are as many unused jointers laying around collecting dust, so give it a shot. I ran my ad in the "Building Materials and Tools" section of our paper for a week; all the calls came on the second weekend so be patient.

I've been happy with my Sunhill SM-150 (www.sunhillmachinery.com).
That said, I've just ordered an 8" jointer from Grizzly just because I found I was always looking at face jointing 6-7" boards. Cheers, cc

A table top jointer has very little use. Why don't you just buy a good quality hand plane? Veritas from Lee Valley is a wise choice. It will last forever and you will learn its true value.
Dave An old solid oak tree is just a nut that refused to give up.