jointer

Page 2 of 3
On 8/2/14, 11:03 AM, dpb wrote:

Heh! 'Normal' is about 7-8". We usually get 80% of that in July/August.

The state is catching up fast with the latest rains, but the storms are hit or miss and we have been in the 'miss' category. Go up or down the road a mile and they are doing great. -BR

--- ---
On 08/03/2014 9:41 AM, Brewster wrote:

Well, you've still got (most of) August... :) Good luck...

That's generally true out here, of course, as you're well aware--it's been almost five years since we've had a general area-wide rain event around this area.

We've some other ground in Harding County and son went by on the way to pick up I40 on their way back to Raleigh -- it's lush down that way now, too, from the pictures he took. It's 50 mi out of the way to get down there from US56 and no way across except to back track or a nearly unused county road that only follows section lines so really cuts of very little mileage back towards Clayton anyway so we didn't take the time this trip.
But, despite all the green grass now, no cattle to be seen--all the cow herds already thinned to nearly nothing by the past 2/3 years.
On 7/30/2014 3:22 PM, Swingman wrote:

Speaking of rain, looks like L.A. solved it's water shortage, let the infrastructure crumble and you get plenty of water. ;~)
Interesting, in earth quake country, that the multi multi million renovation of the GYM at UCLA did not consider the age and condition of near by water mains. IIRC the cost was about what was spent to build our base ball park. Ironic.
On 07/30/2014 10:31 PM, Leon wrote: ...

Saw the footage. Didn't say, but that was a sizable main...

On 7/31/2014 8:10 AM, dpb wrote:

Very large and very old, it leaked 5% of the daily water usage for L.A.
On 07/31/2014 9:14 AM, Leon wrote:

Finally saw an article last night that actually had some (hopefully reasonably accurate) facts other than the "golly, gee! look at the water!" kind of reporting. It was/is "only" a 30" main and 90 yo -- both slightly beyond moderate in the scale of things...said there is about 200 mi of 60 yo and older distribution line in LA. Surprised isn't more than that altho LA is pretty new for the most part.
NY in January had a 36" line break in Greenwich Village. That main was put in in 1877. Much of the main feed system dates to roughly the same time or even earlier and are as large as 14-ft diam. I think the oldest aqueduct, the New Croton finished around 1890, is largely now replaced altho still operational.
dpb wrote:

Two email messages from me, and no replies. Thank you for the update.

Swingman wrote:

I feel like just surrounding myself with cast iron makes me more attractive! ; )
On 7/28/2014 10:07 PM, Bill wrote:

I think that is over priced for an 8" jointer. You could by a new 8" parallelogram from griz for close to that.
--
Jeff

woodchucker wrote:

Yes, I didn't say that I was going to offer the seller the $685 asking price. The fact that it doesn't look easy to move is a negative as well.
BTW, Wreckers, I had a few issues that got in the way of my woodworking this summer (I haven't meant to be "distant", and I had intended to make more sawdust!)
Bill
On 07/29/2014 11:14 AM, Bill wrote: ...

That's also it's major advantage over any other of similar vintage/style -- mass is good.

Looks like single phase and appears to be in, generally, good shape, to me.
If the person knows anything about tools, they should have posted what phas e and more info about it. It appears to be in back of an SUV, makes me won der about its acquisition, prior to its Craigslist posting. *I can't imag ine loading something as that in an SUV.... must have been some unusual cir cumstances, for that. It's not tied down, so I wonder what happens when t hey turn a sharp corner, if they haven't removed it from the vehicle, yet.
The ad was posted 9 days ago, so maybe the reason he/she hasn't replied to you is that it's already sold. Jointers seem to sell pretty fast, even f or that vintage and at that price. Maybe, you should not wait on a reply, but go there, if convenient, as per the map, and try to find the location, and negotiate. If it's available, offer $400-$450 and go from there. If it's still available, he/she may desperately want it removed from their SU V.
Sonny
Sonny wrote:

It is strange that they photographed in an SUV. I didn't pick up on that until it was pointed out. One might have expected it to be sitting in a shop environment... : ) Still nothing from the seller--probably sold.
Bill
On Tue, 29 Jul 2014 09:23:02 -0700, Sonny wrote:

Maybe it fell into the SUV "off the back of a truck."
On 7/29/2014 11:37 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Or the SUV was built around the old jointer. ;~)

I don't know about that - the picture shows it in the back of a minivan.
Scott Lurndal wrote:

When I looked at the picture, I couldn't figure out where it was! %-) Maybe I didn't expect it to be standing up in a minivan?

My first thought when I saw the picture was "why does this guy have a jointer in his boat?"
"Doug Miller" wrote in message > Scott Lurndal wrote:

The mini van is why I made my snarky remark... "That set-up redefines "portable jointer..." ;~)

Yeah, but...
I had a machine with that exact same switch. Single phase all the way. Have you EVER seen a 3 phase without a magnetic starter? Not me. Also, that is a Lowes special cord cap. Not a twist lock, like a 3 phase. That one only has three prongs. Single phase, all the way, for the third time. Case closed.
--
Jim in NC