Joiner 6" or 8"

I'd get the widest/longest I could afford and fit in my shop. I've got a = Jet 6' and I've often wished for longer a longer bed or wider knives. = Better to spend another few hundred bucks up front.

Reply to
Eric

Keith

Join? Not many Flatten? Often enough. Lets face it no one needs an 8 inches to edge join.

Reply to
joeD

What Barry said... :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Actually, while for what I do a significant fraction are (or are 6/4 or greater stock which is pretty heavy), even if only 1% were it would still be well worth it....

Once I get things reorganized I'll go back to the search for an old 12 or 16 (or even 20 if I get lucky)....

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Keith wrote: ...

Despite what some may say I'm confident you'll not regret the choice ...

You still won't regret the larger but if you do think that your usage will be (and, more importantly, remain) smaller pieces, then there's reason that a 6" will be wholly satisfactory (but I'd still go for the long-bed variety). But, otoh, if you can't predict or don't know...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

===================== Come on.... if you are a cheap son of a gunn and only edge join a single set of knives will last you a few more years if you have an 8 inch jointer ...keep sliding that fence over to hide the dull or nicked areas of the blades....

Of course knives can be replaced a lot of times for the extra money it would take to buy an 8 inch jointer.... LOL

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

Starting tomorrow I will have coffee before posting on Usenet.

I agree. That didn't come across the way I intended it to.

Reply to
joeD

I just finished jointing/planing a bunch of rough 4/4 birch. 8" wide. If I hadn't ripped them to 4" first, I'd have wound up with 1/4 by the time I was done :-).

You must have access to better rough stock :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Well duh!

I was responding to the specific statement about 8' long edges. While I may not _join_ them, straight, 90 degree true to the face edges make things much easier at assembly time.

Most all of the lumber I buy is 6-8" wide. An 8" machine allows me to face joint 95% of my lumber without changing the width first.

I had a 6" and needed the extra size enough to warrant selling the 6" and moving up to an 8". I also like the taller fence of my particular 8" machine.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

The grizzly G0500 looks like a nice 8" joiner with a good price. Are there any other 8" joiners I should consider in that price range($900-1100). I don't care if it's 110 or 220v.

I have also found some good wood suppliers with>I'm ready to get a jointer now as the table top joiner I have been using is way

Reply to
Keith