Joiner 6" or 8"

Page 2 of 2

Try to flatten and joint 8' x 6" rough cut board with bow in it and you will have problems with a 6" jointer. Get yourself an 8" jointer and have it for life with no regrets.

can tell you that I have wished for a longer bed 100's of times wheras I never needed (but could have used) an 8 in wide joiner on a few occasions..
I work with rough cut lumber, and yes, I do have boards that are wider then 6 inches many times...BUT any larger then 8 would require ripping down to size anyway....I also prefer to glue up a tabletop with boards between 4 and 5 inches wide...not 7-8 inches...
GIVE ME a LONGER BED...anyday...
That powermatic long bed jointer would be my choice IF I were 30 years younger and just setting up shop...
Bob Griffiths

When I was in the market for a jointer, I looked for a large bed. I ended up buying the Delta DJ-20, an eight inch jointer. No regrets, but this jointer is very heavy and awkward to move around. Having the extra 2" has been a blessing several times over the last 10 years and the jointer itself seems to produce excellent results with little maintenance.
Well I would like to thank everyone for pointing out some ideas or areas I should consider. I have been using boards that have been surfaced already but I know I need to be planning on using rough cut boards in the future. I don't have a planner yet which is another reason I have been using surfaced boards. I'm also looking at planners but feel I need to look beyond the table top one's I have seen at Lowes. I'll continue to look into 8" joiners and see what options I have without breaking the bank.

I've survived a few year with no jointer, but I'd never give up my planer. It gets a lot of use for thicknessing, cleanup when resawing, clean up after a glue up (up to 13" anyway). Both my wood suppliers will joint and plane for me (included in the price) but I still have need to plane.
I also just came across about 1,000 bd. ft. of rough cut pine (free) that is about 11" wide that I've planed down to use.
Just some more to think about. In either case, a dust collector should be part of the package.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Keith wrote: ...

Despite what some may say I'm confident you'll not regret the choice ...
You still won't regret the larger but if you do think that your usage will be (and, more importantly, remain) smaller pieces, then there's reason that a 6" will be wholly satisfactory (but I'd still go for the long-bed variety). But, otoh, if you can't predict or don't know...
The Grizzly 8" jointer is only marginally more expensive than a 6" Jet or Powermatic. Got good reviews.

You are right about the Grizzly 8"(G0500) joiner for $875. I had looked at the Grizzly products before but never in person. I assume you have one Bob and like it. The only joiner I have used that wasn't a table type was a HF 7" and I had trouble getting a smooth edge. It was a friends so it may have not been setup right.

If you are not preping one side before running the other side through a planer don't get the 8"! A six inch is more than enough!!! However, consider the jointability router system for a cheaper (less expensive) and likely more accurate way for squaring and straightening a board for glueup.
I'd get the widest/longest I could afford and fit in my shop. I've got a Jet 6' and I've often wished for longer a longer bed or wider knives. Better to spend another few hundred bucks up front.
The grizzly G0500 looks like a nice 8" joiner with a good price. Are there any other 8" joiners I should consider in that price range($900-1100). I don't care if it's 110 or 220v.
I have also found some good wood suppliers within a couple of hours of my area in western N.C. . Thanks again.