8-1/2 inch joiner blades?

I need a source of joiner blades 8-1/2" X 1" X 1/8". I just acquired an old joiner a lady whose husband had died. It suffered from her willingness to let her cats live in the woodshop after he passed on. I've reconditioned the tables and fence with naval jelly and gotten it pretty well cleaned up. Right now I need some new blades and a new magnetic switch for the 220V motor.

Reply to
John

Try these folks:

Call them. It's doubtful the item you're looking for is on the web site. With your first order, Ballew usually sends a paper catalog which is quite useful.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Are the knives missing or too worn to regrind?

--

Reply to
dpb

Try

for the blades. I have been buying from them for years. Have had no problems. they are based in N.J..

Reply to
wolf28

The existing blades are rusted from spills and other insults. I will be cleaning them using naval jelly, and I am going to have them reground. But I want a spare set, and I don't see any sources on the internet, thus my post. I'll have to replace the switch as well.

John

Thanks for the responses. Once I have the machine restored I'll post a couple of images. I've been wishing I took some before pictures.

John

Unless they're terribly rusted, I'm sure they'll clean up just fine. I'd start w/ the wire wheel in the grinder and then move to wet/dry paper w/ water or kerosene or any other wetting fluid. I've found that about the fastest way.

As a suggestion, if these are HSS knives consider carbide for a new set

-- pricey initially, but last longer and if ever do use any manufactured materials they'll stand up...

On the switch, if you want a full mag starter, Grainger has some that aren't too outrageous...

--

Reply to
dpb