Jigs For Drills

I was wondering what people's experiences have been trying to create Jigs for guiding drill bits. I tend to find that wooden guides tend to develop play over time (The softer the wood the sooner you get the play). I just recently tried an aluminum jig, but it wasn't thick aluminum, and thus will not keep the drill bit pointed straight. Is there a better/more permanent way to make a drill jig?
Thanks,
John
I think the short answer is: when someone is using a jig of that nature so much that wear is a big issue, it's time to buy a drill press.

will
Agreed, If you can get the work to the d/p I was thinking in term's of let's say bench dog holes, or the like. Tony D.

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 09:33:33 -0500, "Stephen M"
<http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page2317&category=1,180,42311,42321&abspage=1&ccurrency=2&SID=>
Jig bushings.
Barry
John Smith wrote:

Your best bet is to use bushings, which are made specifically for the job.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page2317&category=1,180,42311,42321&abspage=1&ccurrency=1&SID ...Mike
Drill hole through thick mild steel on drill press?? Tony D.

will
There are threaded hardened steel "drill bushings" that you can use in a wood or other material substrate for a pretty good wear resist drill jig
John
On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 09:06:26 -0500, "John Smith"

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 09:06:26 -0500, "John Smith"

jigs for drilling with a hand drill are by their nature temporary. consider the number of holes you need to make. if it's 1 to 20 or so, you can get away with hardwood. if it's more like a few hundred consider bushing your jig with a tool steel sleeve (standard industry practice). if it's going to be a lot of holes, thousands or more, you probably need a dedicated machine.     Bridger

I really like my crapsman Drill Guide...
Go to www.craftsman.com and search on "drill guide". I don't have a drill press and use it along with some pegboard scrap for adjustable shelf holes. I wish it had a keyless chuck, though.
Sears item #00967173000 Mfr. model #67173