Jigs

I've just spend the better part of an hour watching the youtube videos of Matthias Wandel's tenoning, slot mortising and box joint jigs. I think you can drill down from this site to get to the videos:

say that these are nifty, IMHO, is an understatement. Any of you folks taken it upon yourselves to build one or more of these? If so, what's your take on the level of effort? Any tips ... known gotchas and the like?

TIA

Larry

Reply to
TDDriver

Neat stuff!

Level of effort looks reasonable. Tips? Take your time and build carefully (re-build, if necessary, until it comes out right).

I like the way he thinks. :)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Making a hole in the side of a piece of wood is easy.

Making a hole, or a mortise in the side of a piece of wide - a specific size - and at a specific location - not so easy.

Pay particular attention to the left/right stops and how easy or difficult they are to set at specific locations. For the tenons, you've got left/right AND depth of cut to worry about - and set and control.

I suspect that he used 1/4" spacers for his multiple tenons into multiple mortises.

What he doesn't show in the video is how he sets up for cutting the mortises and tenons.

The problem with all these jigs is the set up and testing time for each joint.

Think about it. Let's take table legs and aprons. Unless the mortises are all centered on the leg, you need two set ups per leg. And to cut the second mortise, you have to lose the set up for the first mortise. Now if the stops were retractable - you'd them up once for the two leg mortises and be done with it. Haven't seen that feature on any of these jigs, shop built or store bought.

Which is why I use the DOMINO - which does have retractable stops and everything is symetric horizontally.

my 2 cents.

But he does have an elegant design ; )

Reply to
charlieb

You might email the author and see if he'll sell some.

I don't know that it would take a lot of time however. I've been looking at his plans and mulling them over. He already provides a gear cutting template, which would serve well. And from what I see, he cuts the gears out on a bandsaw, which looks pretty straightforward.

I, too, have a jig for boxjoints on the router, but this guy's design looks so lovely that I'd be happy to trade that jig for his.

Tanus

Reply to
Tanus