Jet wood lathe

--WebTV-Mail-5213-1158 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
A top of the line Jet wood lathe is it a good lathe for a beginner? I`m just starting to work on a lathe! Rich
--WebTV-Mail-5213-1158 Content-Description: signature Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Text/HTML; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
--WebTV-Mail-5213-1158--
rec.crafts.woodturning is the place to ask. FWIW I recall kind comments to that effect there regarding the jet $800ish model
Google it.
-Steve
A top of the line Jet wood lathe is it a good lathe for a beginner? I`m just starting to work on a lathe! Rich
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

You might also want to ask this one on rec.crafts.woodturning, where you'll find a group more focussed on your specific interest.

--
--John
If you are referring to the 1442, I have owned one for about a year and it is a great machine. I recommend buying the cast iron legs because they add about 150 pounds to the mass, which dampens vibration. The only bug I had was a tendency for the speed control to stick, especially when it is cold. This seems to going away and a local Jet rep said this was fixed on newer lathes.
If you are referring to the 1442, I have owned one for about a year and it is a great machine. I recommend buying the cast iron legs because they add about 150 pounds to the mass, which dampens vibration. The only bug I had was a tendency for the speed control to stick, especially when it is cold. This seems to going away and a local Jet rep said this was fixed on newer lathes.
Regarding the $800 price Stephen noted, if you can get it for that, move out and buy. I paid $799 for my a year ago September. Same store recently had it for $915. Price increase supposedly because of the raise in steel prices and state of the dollar.
I'm highly satisfied with my Jet 1442 (with legs). It is tight, well finished and accurate.
So far no problems in 6 months.
WaltC