Jet Mini Lathe

Hello all,

I have a chance to get a brand new Jet mini late at a considerable discount. Does anyone out there have thoughts good or bad about said lathe?

Reply to
Steve

This particular lathe has always had a good reputation for a small lathe.

Reply to
Leon

It's a good little lathe Steve. But just so you are aware, the lathe has gone through two improvements over the last 2-3 years. First was the addition of an optional bed extension (holes provided in the end of the lathe for attachment) and most recently the addition of electronic variable speed. Just before and after each of the modifications old stock of the lathe has been heavily discounted. Point being to make sure what features the discounted lathe will have, and what is important to you.

--

Reply to
Pounds on Wood

It's a piece of crap. First you get a discount on the lathe, then you have to buy lathe tools, more lathe tools, sharpening supplies, chucks, finishing supplies... Then you have to get a chainsaw and a bandsaw, and go driving around in search of trees to cut into little hunks...

Most expensive discount item I ever purchased. :)

But it's a really good machine. Mine is one of the old style, with belt drive. Changing speeds is somewhat annoying, but I saved $200. Hey.

Reply to
Silvan

Steve, It's a good little lathe. Most of its uses are small as well. If you get to a point where you like woodturning, you will upgrade to a full size lathe. I would not bother with the little turning tools however. They cost almost the same but if you ever move up to a full size lathe, they have very limited use.

I have both and find I use the full size lathe even for small work.

Dave

TeamCasa

It's a really excellent lathe -- none better in its price range, and beats the pants off the entry-level 12-36 machines by Jet, Delta, etc.

I have one, and a Nova 3000. Wouldn't give either one up.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Reply to
Bernie Hunt

People who make lathe tools should give the lathes away for free.

todd

Reply to
todd

I think it may well be true.

Fun though. It's the only kind of woodworking where you can go from nothing to something in 10 minutes.

Reply to
Silvan

It is that particular sense that drove me almost bonkers when I was buying my first (recently, so only!) lathe. People kept telling me it was much better then the entry-level 12-36 machines. I kept telling them I want to do longer work. No matter how good the damn thing is, it is still very short!! So, beats the pants off is obviously only within a narrow range where their functionality overlaps, which is hardly surprising, since a more specific machine is often better then a more general machine even when the more general machine is quite a bit more cash.

Reply to
Paul Kierstead

so, get the bed extension. That's what I did, and I can easily turn up to

40" between centers. I've used it up to about 30" thus far and it works great. Only an additional $50.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Just my opinion.. but you can get a regular sized lathe for maybe $200 more or so.. Considering how much the turning tools, chuckes, etc cost.. why not just start off with a full sized machine? I got the Delta 46-715 for about $450 on sale new.. (during one of those 10% off delta sales at a local dealer).

I see a lot of people taking the advice to by a mini lathe, and then "if you like turning, sell it and buy a regular sized one".. But why go through the hassle? If you have the space, start with a full sized one..My delta has a 14" swing... which has kept me happy for a long time. I know Jet and other companies make similiar lathes in the price range, and they are probably fine too.

Reply to
pete rose

: Just my opinion.. but you can get a regular sized lathe for maybe $200 : more : or so.. Considering how much the turning tools, chuckes, etc cost.. : why : not just start off with a full sized machine?

A few reasons:

a) the jet mini is actually a better machine than the entry-level fullsized lathes are to turn anything within its capacity on (spindles of whatever length you like, as you can add bed extensions) or bowls or hollow vessels up to 9.5" in diameter. It has less vibration.

b) it's quite portable, and so you can turn outside on a nice day, take it with you on vacation, etc.

c) The non-variable-speed model (older model) is currently heavily discounted.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss