Jet tool service saga

In another thread, I talked about misalignment on my Jet Supersaw. I wanted to complete the story of how Jet has handled this. I'm the kind of guy that believes in paying for value, rather than trying to get the lowest price. When I pay more a $1000 or more for a tool, I'm looking for a relationship, not just a tool. Can I get parts? Will the company have a rep to call when I have a question about how to use it? Will it be supported 2,5, 10 years from now?

When I finally decided to buy a Jet saw, it was largely because of my impression of the local dealer/service center. I also met the Jet factory rep at a grand opening and he impressed me as well.

Anyway, Jet sent a factory rep to my house and measured the saw. After seeing the flaw, he absolutely would not let me keep it. He said it would never cut wood right and they did not want to attempt to align it. They are bringing out a new saw complete with new sliding table tomorrow. They will uncrate it at my house and do the measurements to confirm that its right.

The jet rep said people will be talking about this over Thanksgiving dinner.

Yes, I think I might buy another jet tool or two.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis

Bob-

Thanks for the follow-up. Several years ago, I purchased a Jet contractor's saw and had a similar experience. (although not as dramatic...I didn't have a rep come to my home!) The dealer was very prompt, courteous, and replaced (in my case) the fence and rails with nary a twitch.

-Aaron

Reply to
adb

I've got three Jet machines: the Supersaw, their 14" bandsaw and their 6" jointer. I have called Tech Support about three time for various things. Calls are taken quickly, the people are more than courteous, and (so far) all parts have been shipped free of cost.

Reply to
mttt

I'm still deciding which table saw to purchase and have been reading reviews at Amazon and several other places. I seen what appeared to be a problem with the Jet Supersaw and emailed the company about it. Below is what I wrote including reviews and their response.

--------------- I'm going to be purchasing a table saw in the next month and after a lot of research I've narrowed my selection down to your supersaw and Dewalts woodworkers saw. Reading all the reviews I could find shows you seem to be having a problem with a timing belt. Has the problem been fixed, I sure don't want to buy it if I'm going to be having problems. I live in a semi-rural area so any service center would be over 100 miles away.

-Here's what I've read so far concerning the problem.

--------- Reviewer: A home improvement enthusiast from montgomery, tx United States

My wife bought this saw for me as a gift which I recieved sometime about February 2003. I was so excited when I uncrated the saw, set it up, and cut my first piece of wood. It looked and worked great for about 3 weeks. Then abruptly the blade would not raise or lower any more, a broken timing belt. I contacted Amazon who informed me that the part was on backorder for several weeks. About 3 weeks later I recieved the part. I contacted a Jet service representative who assured me that I could replace it myself with a minimum amount of time and effort. About 2 hours later, after dissasembling the entire timing gear/shaft assembly, I realized the drive gear is cracked. Again I contacted Amazon who referred me to Jet. I waited an infinite amount of time on hold with Jet, who four calls later, referred me to a repair facility in my area. The repair facility ordered parts and one month later my timing gear assembly was repaired. I reinstalled it on my saw and it would bind and jerk when it is turned. I contacted the facility who then told me to contact Jet. Jet said they would send a technician to my shop. A half dozen phone calls and three weeks later my saw was repaired again. Next the sliding miter fence would not pivot and the screws that held the face plate on vanished ( they were remove during the previous repairs). Again I contacted the repair facility who in turn contacted Jet. Jet assured the parts would directly be sent to me. Well, it has now been almost a month and I STILL don't have any parts. In the six months I have been in "POSSESION" of this saw it has worked without flaw for about four weeks.If you would like to spend hours on the phone (mostly on hold), get any number of empty promises, wait countless weeks for parts that never come, and truly desire to do business with someone who genuinely could care less if your problem gets resolve or not, Amazon and Jet are the right people for you. What is really sad is that if I was ready to purchase another saw I would recieve lightning fast attention and service and a new one would be at my doorstep in 2-3 days. But when I really need help, I wait endlessly on the phone, get referred back and forth, and still have a broken product who's warranty is not worth the paper it was printed on. Thanks for nothing to Amazon and Jet, world class zeros in Customer Satisfaction. Just a thought, but maybe someone should start dissasembling some of those saws you are selling so the little guys that DEPEND ON THEM TO MAKE A LIVING can get them fixed when they break.

-------------- Reviewer: mark from Las Vegas, Nevada After one month of serious usage with my new saw, I found a two-bit belt was key to the flawless operation I had come to expect from this rugged beauty. Timing Belt woes . . Absolutely rediculous its difficulty in accessing to repair . . dealer doesn't have a clue about its short comings - unavailability of parts . . and a cheap belt no-less!! How could this critical part be so overlooked regarding reliability?? . .It shut me down and is going to be a real headache to find the part and then reassemble the shaft assembly . . The tiny set screws are soft metal and very hard to get at. I will have to drill out one of them - hope for the best. Will probably have to order a new part they sit in. Not happy anymore! . .Dissapointed

--------------- Then the "timing belt" issue, that others have mentioned, came to call. The timing belt itself is not the issue. Jet has promised a replacement free of charge under warranty (the good news, so to speak). However, Jet doesn't even expect to have the belt in stock for two and one-half months (the bad news). I found out the availability date from my local tools shop and confirmed it with Jet. Apparently, Jet doesn't have a problem with my fairly expensive saw being idle for two plus months after only six months of use. From the other reviews, this doesn't appear to be a new or unknown problem. I've visited my local bearing shop and ordered a temporary replacement belt of similar size and configuration at a cost of five dollars for the belt and five dollars for shipping. We will see how well it works. A friend suggested that you might also be able to pick up a serviceable replacement belt at a sewing machine shop.

If Jet seemed at all concerned about the problem, that would be something. If they even suggested some alternatives, that would help. If I can get a replacement from the local bearing shop in less than a week and it takes them months, their service is pathetic. If they offered to reimburse me the [money amount]for my bearing-shop replacement, I would sing their praises. The fact that they don't even seem to care is unacceptable

---------------

I own the Supersaw and highly recommend against anyone purchasing this engineering disaster. The vaunted dust collection system just doesn't work, even with an 850cfm dust collector. After trying to make the dust collection work and still having the wooddust thrown back into my face, I called the Tech support at JET. They told me, even before I finished explaining my problem, that they knew about the problem, that the dust collection system had not been engineered properly, and that the only solution was to cut out the bottom so that the little shelf underneath could actually collect the dust! This is not what I bargained for. In addition to the dust collection system not working, the engineering has the motor right under the saw blade so it collects the odd small pieces of wood that fall through and stop the blade movement.

I have never seen such a poorly put together piece of equiptment in all my years. The engineers, and the company management should be sued for malpractice. Don't purchase this machine if you value the joy of woodworking.

--------------

It seems that this saw may have an achilles heel. Jet uses what they call a timing belt to connect the control wheel to the trunnion assembly that raises and lowers the blade. This belt failed two weeks after receiving the saw. Repeated attempts to get a new one have fallen on deaf ears. While I realize the effects of the strike are still being felt, I was promised one would be delivered via air freight in early November; didn't happen. After several calls and inquiries I was told I would get a call back; didn't happen. Today I was promised one on Dec 26; we'll see

Reply to
Mike S.

If I was the Customer Service manager, Rebecca would be working in the janitorial staff tomorrow. Right along side the engineers that designed the $1200 hobbyist toy.

Talk about double digit IQ's. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Gotta agree with you Bob. I now have three Jet tools (and a powermatic) in my shop. Each one has required a little 'tweek' here and there with help from their 'tool doctor'. I have to say, I don't think I could ask for any better service from a tool company. Of the two times I needed parts sent, they were FedEx and got them in a couple days. The last instance was on a shaper that was well out of Warranty. I need a new draw bar, and two days later I had it, no quesitons asked.

Thanks for your story, it just solidifies my belief that Jet is a top notch tool company.

Double-Chin Tony

Reply to
Anthony

I have a JET contractors TS, an air filter, 6" jointer, and a shaper. I've never had any technical problems with any of them so I can't comment on their support in that sense, but I did contact them once with great results. I bought the shaper used and it didn't have a users manual or parts list. I emailed them and within an hour they sent me a very courteous email with a PDF version of both the users manual and parts list. Great service and a great product so I'll keep buying their products!

Larry C in Auburn, WA

relationship,

Reply to
Larry C in Auburn, WA

Maybe some Kryptonite got into that supersaw? I've bought a lot of inexpensive Harbor Freight tools over the years and never had a problem that the store didn't cure right on the spot. I doubt I'll buy anything with JET on it...

Reply to
solarman

No kidding.... I caught a hint of her ignorance or immaturity when the explanation of " as long as you are "LIKE" not trying to build a house...bla bla.. was blurted out.

Reply to
Leon

Pretty horrible stories, Mike. I'm speechless. I agree the reply from customer service was unbelievable. I've dealt with customer service once. The rest of the time it was with technical support, which seems to be a pretty knowledgeable group. Obviously, I'm already past the decision point. Like it or not, I own a supersaw. I'll keep my fingers crossed that they've worked out the kinks on this model. Fortunately, I live in a big city with dealers that have been in the business a long time and I may be able to get higher level support than someone remote. I'm amazed at the polar opposite experiences I've had, compared to the reviewers you quoted. I was surprised that one of the reviewers was having to drill and replace parts themselves instead of getting things covered by warranty. Its not logical.

Bob

dissasembling

Reply to
Bob Davis

[ major snippage ]

I've received an email (or three) from Rebecca before. Her answers are accurate and personal. Personally, I appreciate her candor. You did send her a 48 page litany of other people's gripes. I would have suggested you distill it down to a few bullets.

Again - I've got the Supersaw. The timing belt went out on mine after about

10 months of "weekend warrior" use. I found replacing it to be a pain. If I have to do it once a year, I'll be OK with it. If it happens more frequently, I'll be bummed.

It's a nice saw. Is it $850 nice? Not if you've got (a) 220V and (b) space.

Reply to
mttt

I didn't understand the last sentence in your comment. Could you be more explicit about what you meant? The supersaw takes about as much space as any cabinet saw, especially if you get the 52 inch extended fence and table.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis

Sure. I don't have 220V and won't anytime soon. So that took out "most cabinet" saws. And "many/some/a-few" cabinet saws are > $850. So I had the floor space for a cabinet saw - as long as it had 30" rails, but not the power.

On the contractor saw front - I'm in one-bay of the garage, and things need to get pushed up snug against the walls. I thought, at the time of purchase, having the motor inside the cabinet would be a big help. Also good contractor saws were pushing $600.

Thus was looking at hybrids. (Family members who had used the DeWalt, liked it.) Had a little extra cash that month, bought the "marketing hype" and purchased the saw.

Knowing what I now know - I think I'd have been better off finding room for a contractor saw and going that route.

The Supersaw throws impediments at you from time to time - the timing belt, the inability to buy a dado insert, the t-slots on the fence are small and low, the tenoning jig won't fit w/o an adapter plate, etc. But it's here, I like it and it's a far better saw than I am a craftsman.

Reply to
mttt

Thanks for the further explanation. I have to admit it. When I purchased the Supersaw, it was almost a whim. I'd been wanting a table saw for two years and knew I would not be happy with a fold up portable contractor's saw. I had eyed the Dewalt $800 model every time I walked into Lowe's. When I saw the Supersaw with its sliding table, it was like love at first sight. A friend was with me and he went gaga over it, too.

So,now that the new has worn off and I've had some problems with it, I'm not so enamoured with my selection. I keep thinking that I was only about $250 away from a Jet 3hp cabinet saw - with no sliding table of course. At the time 220 v was nowhere in sight. But since then, I've bitten the bullet and I'm running boatload of power to the shop that is in progress. It wasn't as expensive as I thought it might be, since I'm doing the work myself -- all told will be less than $200 and that includes a new panel dedicated to the shop.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis

"mttt" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@armada.sprintco.bbn.net:

Another thing that you can consider is that one some contractor saws the motor can be re-poistioned for storage. On the Delta , I have the Platinum series ( I have no idea the model number) the motor will drop down below the table allowing it to store flat against a wall. This whole procedure, and the reverse takes just a few seconds

Reply to
Secret Squirrel