Jet Contractor's Saw Worth?

Hiya, Considering the purchase of a Grizzly 1023SL. I can only justify this purchase provided I can sell my existing saw at a reasonable price (to me!). It's a Jet JWTS-10 contractor's saw and was puchased in

2001. I'm wondering if anyone has any input as the potential value of this saw should I decide to sell it? It's got the stamped wings and original JetFence. Thanks for any inputs. Cheers, cc
Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Last winter I sold a blue 1997 version of the same saw, including a Delta mobile base and a used Freud blade. The base was the model where the purchaser provides hardwood to complete the assembly.

I listed it for $375 in a local bargain paper and it sold an hour after it hit the paper's web site. The saw never made it to the printed version of the weekly paper. The phone was ringing with additional potential buyers while the successful buyer was picking it up.

I live in the Northeast US, there may be regional value differences. If I was selling the saw again, I would list it for $475, dropping the price until calls came.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

I paid $220 for mine on closeout at sears (new) if this is any help.

Kevin Daly

Kevin Daly

Used equipment ususually sells for between 2/3rds of new if perfect to 1/3rd if a fixer upper. But I have sold equipment for over the new price on eBay and also failed to get any bids at all on other items priced reasonably. It is a crapshoot; so your pricing depends on in part on how quickly you need to sell it.

Reply to
toller

On Sun 21 Nov 2004 02:08:58a, "James \"Cubby\" Culbertson" wrote in news:QImdnc snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Near as I can see, various models of that saw sell for $650 to a thousand dollars new, so I think what you paid for yours matters.

That said, I agree with toller. If you've got some time, start high and drop till somebody nibbles. Use CURRENT selling price for that model, not the price you paid.

Around my neck of the woods, sellers seem to have figured out that there are a lot of people out there with more money than common sense. It's just about impossible to find a good deal on *anything*. So if I was selling a used Jet out here, I'd start at about 3/4 of new. Just because I'd feel guilty about starting any higher. :-)

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Thanks folks for the inputs. I'm in NM which isn't exactly a hotbed of rich idiots. Poor idiots maybe (no offense intended to any "Land of Enchantment" residents :) ). I would be most happy with a $4-500 selling price given that would make the Grizzly about $500 all told. Anyway, thanks for the inputs folks. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

I have the exact situation. I would like to get the Grizzly Cabinet saw as well. I was wondering what my saw is worth as well. I have the cast iron wings and the 30 inch Xacta fence. You can see some pictures here:

snipped-for-privacy@covad.net

Reply to
Darrell Dorsey

I paid $300 for my used Jet CS, same vintage. It came with a bunch of acessories, including an Incra 2000 miter gauge.

Reply to
Kent

I've got a router table, cross cut box, and a vega fence but I'm looking to keep all those when this one goes. I suspect you'd get a better price with your cast iron wings and fence. I'm thinking about this happening soon before Grizzly ups their prices (Jan. 1). Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

James, have you confirmed that prices will increase? Do you know by how much? Unfortunately I have to wait for my bonus in Feb. time frame.

Darrell

Reply to
Darrell Dorsey

I don't know how much. They mention it in their lastest catalog and it's on their website. I asked Grizzly today and they replied with this:

Thank you for your email dated November 22, 2004. I do apologize for the inconvenience. At this time we have not been advised what the prices will be. It is my understanding that the new pricing will not be revealed until January 1, 2005. If we may be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us. You are a valued customer and we look forward to hearing from you soon. LAST CALL - Due to the huge increases in the cost of raw materials this year, prices on all of our machines will be going up January 1, 2005. Unfortunately, there will be no grace period on price changes. Do not procrastinate any longer.

Sincerely,

Inez

Technical Service Grizzly Industrial, Inc.

So your guess is as good as mine. 10%? 20%? Who knows.

Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson