Wiring for the Grizzly 1023SL Help

I need to run a 20 amp 240V line to the garage for the new 1023SL. I have wiring experience having finished my basement and run numerous circuits for lighting, outlets, etc. Wiring for 240 doesnt look any more difficult than 120, just more wires correct? I need to purchase a plug for the saw and a matching outlet along with breakers. What about the wire? With a 20 amp circuit do I pull two 12g wires or is there a dedicated insulated wire with four leads?

Matt

Reply to
Matt

You don't need more wires. For pure 240V circuits you have two hots and a ground, no neutral.

Assuming 20A is enough, then you just need to run standard 12-2 romex. I'd suggest NEMA 6-20 receptacles (which can take both 15A and 20A plugs), and a 6-20 plug. If you want to get fancy you could use the twist-lock versions of the above.

I'm a bit uncertain about whether 20A is sufficient though...the manual says the motor is rated at 18A, which would normally require more than a

20A breaker. Someone with more electrical code knowledge should pipe up here.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

What Chris said regarding the wiring. Regarding the breaker, you are correct, it is a 20A per the instruction manual. I too thought that might be a bit small but I have yet to trip mine. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

One other thing to watch for: if your panel/sub-panel takes half height breakers, make sure that you use a slot for the 220 c'brkr that spans both hot legs ... you'd be surprised how many electrician's fail to do that on occasion. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

Can you explain what you mean regarding the slot for the brkr that spans both hot legs? I was going to duplicate the wiring for the dryer and range.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

The best way for you to understand that is to go to your favorite hardware store or home center, and take a look at one of the breaker boxes on display, that doesn't have any breakers in it. You'll see immediately.

Reply to
Doug Miller