Itty bitty lathe

Page 2 of 2
Hubby tried the drill trick. I didn't like the bulk of it. I wanted something with a foot rheostat. He quickly showed me up with how fast he could make the little dowel shaped blanks, so, I did what any self respecting woman would do...
I ignored his success and went on my stubborn little way LOL (he's sitting here watching me type this and laughing)
Kate
Kate,

You might also look at using a drill. Clamp it down on a bench or solid block and figure out a trigger and you might be able to do with something like that. Also a mini lathe might be good.
In a class, we used drill presses and files to whittle down pegs as ornaments for model trolley cars. It worked.
The early scroll saws where adaptations of sewing machines, I guess you might figure out how make a lathe from the same, but a mini-lathe is better because it will come with all the necessary parts like a bed, motor, chuck, etc.
MJ Wallace

If you care to spend about $20 on a toy, there's a "Real Power Tool" set out there. The wood and lathe are nice, but the rest is worthless. (Although, I have used the disc sander to sharpen the lathe tools.) It works pretty well as long as you don't ask the lathe to do more than it's designed for.
I found mine at KB Toys.
Here's a site that describes the set: http://www.smarter.com/real_power_tool_shop---pd--ch-41--pi-384186.html
Caution: Turning is addictive. If you get hooked because of this kid's toy, it's not my fault!
Puckdropper

Ya know... That might be a good start. I could let my grandson learn on it, I think he might really get a kick out of it.
I saw one in the Rockler catalog for under $200 that looked like a good idea too.
Thanks for your help. K

If you care to spend about $20 on a toy, there's a "Real Power Tool" set out there. The wood and lathe are nice, but the rest is worthless. (Although, I have used the disc sander to sharpen the lathe tools.) It works pretty well as long as you don't ask the lathe to do more than it's designed for.
I found mine at KB Toys.
Here's a site that describes the set: http://www.smarter.com/real_power_tool_shop---pd--ch-41--pi-384186.html
Caution: Turning is addictive. If you get hooked because of this kid's toy, it's not my fault!
Puckdropper

Sun, Aug 19, 2007, 4:04am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@spam.filter (Kate) doth wander in and puzzedly query: On the ABPW group it was suggested that a mini lathe might be made <snip> Any ideas or suggestions or idiot (spell that b.l.o.n.d.e) proof instructions would be greatly appreciated!
Oh, for the Gods' sakes, don't "any" of you google any more? http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=HOMEMADE+WOOD+LATHE+PLANS
That took all of about 10 seconds to find.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=HOMEMADE+WOOD+LATHE+PLANS
Why should she Google and waste 10 seconds when you'll do it for her? :)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=HOMEMADE+WOOD+LATHE+PLANS
Why should she Google and waste 10 seconds when you'll do it for her? :)
Oh, now see what you've done, you got me in trouble! I'm tellin mom that you're picking on me!
--
Kate
______

JT,
Lighten up. Not everyone is a google master like you. Your 'inspiration' posts are great. I'm often left wondering how you find half the stuff you do.
cj p.s. She did admit to being b.l.o.n.d.e., so lighten up x 2.

But blonde isn't a color, it's a state of mind... or lack thereof....
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

But blonde isn't a color, it's a state of mind... or lack thereof....
mac
Only when it's convienent, thank you. : Here I thought I was going to get away with it too. LOL
Kate
Kate wrote:

"When I put on the blonde wig I felt my IQ drop precipitously"--Sigourney Weaver talking about her role in "Galaxy Quest".
--John
"When I put on the blonde wig I felt my IQ drop precipitously"--Sigourney Weaver talking about her role in "Galaxy Quest".
--John
Mon, Aug 20, 2007, 11:51am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@valid.com (Joe) doth sayeth: Lighten up. Not everyone is a google master like you. Your 'inspiration' posts are great. I'm often left wondering how you find half the stuff you do. cj p.s. She did admit to being b.l.o.n.d.e., so lighten up x 2.
They purposely made google simple enough so even blondes could use it without instructions. Maybe that was a mistake. Using google ain't rocket science, it's fast, simple, and works - that's why I use it so much and so often.
I've said it before, I'll say it now, and probably say it again. I find , and post, stuff that are side effects of searches I make for my own benefit, and I make a 'lot' of searches. I don't post much of the really good stuff, because it doesn't relate to wood or woodworking. I do a lot of searches steam related, but the other day found one of the strangest contraptions I've ever heard, of that is steam powered - and wasn't even lookiing for anything steam related or even close to that thing. I'd post the link, except I don't want to be know as the guy that post a link to something like that here.

JT,
Lighten up. Not everyone is a google master like you. Your 'inspiration' posts are great. I'm often left wondering how you find half the stuff you do.
cj p.s. She did admit to being b.l.o.n.d.e., so lighten up x 2.
*scratching her head* ... hmm... not THAT blonde..... something about that remark just feels a little funny..... .. thanks.... I think :D
Kate
Oh hush now, play nice.
(Kate) doth wander in and puzzedly query: On the ABPW group it was suggested that a mini lathe might be made <snip> Any ideas or suggestions or idiot (spell that b.l.o.n.d.e) proof instructions would be greatly appreciated!
Oh, for the Gods' sakes, don't "any" of you google any more? http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=HOMEMADE+WOOD+LATHE+PLANS
That took all of about 10 seconds to find.
Fri, Aug 31, 2007, 8:31am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@spam.filter (Kate) doth burble: Oh hush now, play nice.
Hmm, let me see now. On the 19th you ask for some info on lathes, and I quite, in part: "On the ABPW group it was suggested that a mini lathe might be made from a sewing machine motor with a foot pedal control. Do any of you have an idea how something like that could be made, or perhaps a link to a layout? I thereupon proceeded to provide you a link with 170,000 hits regarding homemade lathe plans. For that, I get told to hush. And to play nice.
Not that I was expecting a gush of gratitude, but given a response like yours, if I were you I wouldn't count on a flood of assistance from me in the future. And, to show that I do play nice, here's a blessing upon you and your house - may the Woodworking Gods piss in your wood glue. You have a nice next life.
I'll give you a tip, and no thanks needed. Next time someone is doing something to help you, don't tell them to hush.
JT, I'm so sorry.. I had company for the last two weeks and have only today had a chance to sit down here and read a multitude of posts. Many of which offered so much information I have not really had the time to study them let alone reply to.
Here's a big fat hug from an oldish Irish woman, for all of the information you offered... and I will have a look at it, I promise!
I have been up to my ears in people and projects.
Please, remove your curse, and forgive my insensitivity.
Kate
[...]
Fri, Aug 31, 2007, 10:37am (EDT-1) From: snipped-for-privacy@spam.filter (Kate) JT, I'm so sorry.. I had company for the last two weeks and have only today had a chance to sit down here and read a multitude of posts. Many of which offered so much information I have not really had the time to study them let alone reply to. Here's a big fat hug from an oldish Irish woman, for all of the information you offered... and I will have a look at it, I promise! I have been up to my ears in people and projects. Please, remove your curse, and forgive my insensitivity.
Tell you what. You sniff your glue, and buy a new bottle if appropriate; and send along a slightly used female virgin as a sacrifice for the Woodworking Gods, and we'll call it even.
Hey You... I am quite familiar with Google... the blonde version, of course. ;D
I would have never thought to have done the search exactly the way you worded it "HOMEMADE+WOOD+LATHE+PLANS "
Actually, I thought that the folks here in the group would be a better resource for hands on experience, without having to wade through all of the commercial bullsh*t that often comes up on Google.
Your search did in fact provide some good results, after looking at the links on the first page but nothing that really interested me. I think that the suggestions of others that just purchasing a mini lathe are a bit more up my alley.
I have to admit, I don't have the foggiest idea what the hell I'm doing, so I hope to get the guidance of you pros..
Thanks again JT, the search DID show me that I would be in over my head by trying to build such a thing and that's the information I needed.
--
Kate
______