Itty bitty lathe

Thanks Todd.. I have been looking at all of these replies and see that there is definitely an easier way. You're absolutely right.

Kate

I'm sure you could put something together with a sewing machine motor. IMHO, I'm not sure it's worth the effort. You can buy a used mini lathe or pen lathe for less than $100. I see them come up on Craigslist frequently around here and there's always eBay. Unless you were only interested in faceplate turning, there's going to be a lot more hardware required for a lathe with a tailstock, headstock, bed, etc and if I was in the market for such a machine, I wouldn't consider building it. Now, if your goal is to build a small lathe rather than have a small lathe, by all means build it. I'm sure someone here or in the woodturning group can point you in the right direction.

todd

Reply to
Kate

Hey Bill, I did look for the Dremel model a few months ago. I too found it unavailable. It looked like a great idea and I even found one on Ebay, but it went for enough money that a better quality mini lathe could have been bought for the same price.

Kate

Dremel used to make a mini Moto-Lathe 700. I still have one from when I made doll house furniture some 20 years ago. Searching on the Dremel site for 'lathe', I get no results, so I guess they don't make them anymore. If you want to buy one, rather than build one for small work, Harbor Freight sells one for $170

From the HF picture, it looks more sturdy than my Dremel, which has no cast pieces at all, other than the plastic.

Reply to
Kate

Hey You... I am quite familiar with Google... the blonde version, of course. ;¬D

I would have never thought to have done the search exactly the way you worded it "HOMEMADE+WOOD+LATHE+PLANS "

Actually, I thought that the folks here in the group would be a better resource for hands on experience, without having to wade through all of the commercial bullsh*t that often comes up on Google.

Your search did in fact provide some good results, after looking at the links on the first page but nothing that really interested me. I think that the suggestions of others that just purchasing a mini lathe are a bit more up my alley.

I have to admit, I don't have the foggiest idea what the hell I'm doing, so I hope to get the guidance of you pros..

Thanks again JT, the search DID show me that I would be in over my head by trying to build such a thing and that's the information I needed.

Reply to
Kate

> That took all of about 10 seconds to find.

Why should she Google and waste 10 seconds when you'll do it for her? :)

Oh, now see what you've done, you got me in trouble! I'm tellin mom that you're picking on me!

Reply to
Kate

JT,

Lighten up. Not everyone is a google master like you. Your 'inspiration' posts are great. I'm often left wondering how you find half the stuff you do.

cj p.s. She did admit to being b.l.o.n.d.e., so lighten up x 2.

*scratching her head* ... hmm... not THAT blonde..... something about that remark just feels a little funny..... .. thanks.... I think :¬D

Kate

Reply to
Kate

Hubby tried the drill trick. I didn't like the bulk of it. I wanted something with a foot rheostat. He quickly showed me up with how fast he could make the little dowel shaped blanks, so, I did what any self respecting woman would do...

I ignored his success and went on my stubborn little way LOL (he's sitting here watching me type this and laughing)

Kate

You might also look at using a drill. Clamp it down on a bench or solid block and figure out a trigger and you might be able to do with something like that. Also a mini lathe might be good.

In a class, we used drill presses and files to whittle down pegs as ornaments for model trolley cars. It worked.

The early scroll saws where adaptations of sewing machines, I guess you might figure out how make a lathe from the same, but a mini-lathe is better because it will come with all the necessary parts like a bed, motor, chuck, etc.

MJ Wallace

Reply to
Kate

I wonder if I could use this with my Foredom or a dremel, with a foot pedal for control... hmmm... good idea! Their mini lathes are sure reasonable too. It's not as if I am looking for soemthing heavy duty to get my feet wet with.

Thank You

Kate

I was looking around Grizzly's web site earlier today and noticed they have a small lathe[1] that uses a drill as the motor for $45. I have no idea if it's any good or not.

Grizzly also has some interesting deals on mini lathes[2][3]. Again, no idea if they're any good or not.

[1]:
Kate

But blonde isn't a color, it's a state of mind... or lack thereof....

mac

Only when it's convienent, thank you. :¬Þ Here I thought I was going to get away with it too. LOL

Kate

Reply to
Kate

May George Devine rest in peace: If you are only interested in very small turnings and own a drill press you might try looking up "vertilathe"

Reply to
Larry W

"When I put on the blonde wig I felt my IQ drop precipitously"--Sigourney Weaver talking about her role in "Galaxy Quest".

Reply to
J. Clarke

May George Devine rest in peace: If you are only interested in very small turnings and own a drill press you might try looking up "vertilathe"

I'm not sure I make the connection between Mr. Devine and the topic... Sorry Larry, no drill press either. But lots of good suggestions from all of you.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

George Devine marketed the "Vertilathe" and was frequently trying to sell them on this news group.

If you had a drill press something similar is simple to make.

Reply to
Nova

George Devine marketed the "Vertilathe" and was frequently trying to sell them on this news group.

If you had a drill press something similar is simple to make.

Reply to
Kate

"J. Clarke" wrote "When I put on the blonde wig I felt my IQ drop precipitously"--Sigourney Weaver talking about her role in "Galaxy Quest".

Reply to
Kate

I think you are smart.

For about $200 you may be able to find a mini-lathe that professionals use. These are not toys. Let me google some prices for you:

Grizzly G9247 VS Mini Wood Lathe $135.95

State - Several from $144 and up
$129
JML 1014I $249
Freight $169
$249
think the Jet and Rikon are considered best of the mini-lathes. I don't own either.

Bottom of the list would be Harbor Freight and Craftsman I think

You will need to get a set of some tools, but you can buy them for about $30 for a pen turners's set.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

Nova wrote in news:R2ZBi.15$pm2.4@trndny08:

That looks interesting... I'll have to try to make one some time soon.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I work part-time at Woodcraft and we stock both the Jet and the Rikon. My experience has been that the pen turners prefer the Jet with the electronic variable speed because they like to change speeds a lot. The bowl turners seem to prefer the Rikon because of its 12" swing.

I've got a perfectly good mini-lathe (an old Nova Comet with a gap bed) but I'm really considering the new General mini with the swivel head. I haven't seen a mini with a swivel head since the old Record ones. Of course it costs about twice what the Rikon does :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Fri, Aug 31, 2007, 10:37am (EDT-1) From: snipped-for-privacy@spam.filter (Kate) JT, I'm so sorry.. I had company for the last two weeks and have only today had a chance to sit down here and read a multitude of posts. Many of which offered so much information I have not really had the time to study them let alone reply to. Here's a big fat hug from an oldish Irish woman, for all of the information you offered... and I will have a look at it, I promise! I have been up to my ears in people and projects. Please, remove your curse, and forgive my insensitivity.

Tell you what. You sniff your glue, and buy a new bottle if appropriate; and send along a slightly used female virgin as a sacrifice for the Woodworking Gods, and we'll call it even.

JOAT What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new humiliations?

- Peter Egan

Reply to
J T