Help needed (Cup hooks and Screw eyes)

G'day all, I was wondering if any of you good people would have, or know of, a supplier of cup hooks and screw eyes. I have Googled my finger of with no luck, especially in Oz. I don't mind helping out the balance of trade figures by buying from USA. I use quite a few and am looking for bulk boxes of 100 - 500 units. The only way I can purchase them in OZ (that I know of) especially Kalgoorlie is in blister packs of 25 units at a bout $4.70 per pkt which is bloody highway robbery. Hoping a little help comes this way.

All the best John

Reply to
John B

Hi John,

I have bought hardware items like this from Lee Valley in the past. A quick search for your cup hooks brings up a good selection at a much more reasonable price I think.

also have a good selection of woodworking and gardening stuff. Happy shopping.

Wayne

Reply to
TrailRun

You might try here...

Luck

Reply to
MikeG

You could try

where you can buy the by the 100.

Reply to
Jerry V

Yup.. I get stuff like that at Lee Valley also, John..

The wife and I were looking at your pictures of the alpha trains and thinking "not in California" because of the alleged "choking hazard" of the hooks and eyes you use... *sigh*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

John,

Try your local dollar stores. The cup hooks are about 15 for a $1.00.

Joe

Reply to
Nobull4u

G'day Mac, I originally wanted to use little magnets as couplers, but once again was unable to find a source for the rounded ones like they use on the wooden Thomas Trains etc.. I do put a drop of super glue on all the hooks and eyes. Some of these "Big Brother will protect you from yourself" (stupidity) do go a bit far. :(

Say g'day to Nan and keep on keeping on.

John

PS I've found some 4"x3" Jarrah and have the word out that I'm looking for some 4"x4".

Reply to
John B

These days, check with the toy makers in China.

SFWIW, there is a major toy recall here in the US of toys that have either small magnets or lead paint that is ongoing as we communicate.

Good luck.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Should you still be searching for magnets, Lee Valley Tools has all the magnets you could ever want.

Upscale

Reply to
Doug Brown

Sun, Aug 19, 2007, 6:38pm (EDT+12) snipped-for-privacy@aapt.net.au (John=A0B) doth need help: G'day all, I was wondering if any of you good people would have, or know of, a supplier of cup hooks and screw eyes.

Hi ya John. I've never seen any such on-line, but never looked either. If I was wanting some I'd stop at the local Ace hardware store. I dunno if they'd have them or not, but a fair chance they wood. But, the really important part is, if they don't have them, if I were to ask, they'd give me a line on where they figured I could get some from. If you haven't tried that yet, that's where I'd advise starting. Then the local telephone book. And, if whoever doesn't have any, ALWAYS ask, politely of course, and it's absolutely amazing how much help you can get that way. That's the way I'd do it.. Later.

JOAT I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do them.

- Picasso

Reply to
J T

Sun, Aug 19, 2007, 6:38pm (EDT+12) snipped-for-privacy@aapt.net.au (John=A0B) did sayeth: G'day all, I was wondering if any of you good people would have, or know of, a supplier of cup hooks and screw eyes.

Damn. Soon as I punched the send key, thought of this. Screw in picture hooks are often exactly like some of the cup hooks. Might try checking for those.

JOAT I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do them.

- Picasso

Reply to
J T

Thanks on the jarrah, John... appreciate your searching... I'm still having fun with the pieces that you sent..

On the magnets, I use a LOT of the ones at Lee Valley.. More expensive than hooks and eyes though.... To do it "right", check out the CUPS and WASHERS listed with the magnets.. The cup holds the magnet to/inside the wood and focuses the magnetic force, giving about 4 times the attraction, the washer would go on the other end of each car, to attract the magnet..

NOTE: Magnets are one of the items that cannot be shipped by air now, along with CA glue, aerosol cans, etc... Might take a LONG time to get to Oz by UPS truck...