Itty bitty lathe

On the ABPW group it was suggested that a mini lathe might be made from a sewing machine motor with a foot pedal control. Do any of you have an idea how something like that could be made, or perhaps a link to a layout?

I like making little things, cribbage pegs for instance, sometimes little things not any longer than say seven inches.

Any ideas or suggestions or idiot (spell that b.l.o.n.d.e) proof instructions would be greatly appreciated!

Reply to
Kate

I resent the implication.

Reply to
LRod

Kate,

Try posting this on rec.crafts.woodturning. There is a wealth of knowledge there that should get you started.

jc

Reply to
Joe

I'm sure you could put something together with a sewing machine motor. IMHO, I'm not sure it's worth the effort. You can buy a used mini lathe or pen lathe for less than $100. I see them come up on Craigslist frequently around here and there's always eBay. Unless you were only interested in faceplate turning, there's going to be a lot more hardware required for a lathe with a tailstock, headstock, bed, etc and if I was in the market for such a machine, I wouldn't consider building it. Now, if your goal is to build a small lathe rather than have a small lathe, by all means build it. I'm sure someone here or in the woodturning group can point you in the right direction.

todd

Reply to
todd

on 8/19/2007 5:04 AM Kate said the following:

Dremel used to make a mini Moto-Lathe 700. I still have one from when I made doll house furniture some 20 years ago. Searching on the Dremel site for 'lathe', I get no results, so I guess they don't make them anymore. If you want to buy one, rather than build one for small work, Harbor Freight sells one for $170

From the HF picture, it looks more sturdy than my Dremel, which has no cast pieces at all, other than the plastic.

Reply to
willshak

Proxxon also makes a "micro-lathe". Very good quality, but a little spendy.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Kate,

You might also look at using a drill. Clamp it down on a bench or solid block and figure out a trigger and you might be able to do with something like that. Also a mini lathe might be good.

In a class, we used drill presses and files to whittle down pegs as ornaments for model trolley cars. It worked.

The early scroll saws where adaptations of sewing machines, I guess you might figure out how make a lathe from the same, but a mini-lathe is better because it will come with all the necessary parts like a bed, motor, chuck, etc.

MJ Wallace

Reply to
mjmwallace

I was looking around Grizzly's web site earlier today and noticed they have a small lathe[1] that uses a drill as the motor for $45. I have no idea if it's any good or not.

Grizzly also has some interesting deals on mini lathes[2][3]. Again, no idea if they're any good or not.

[1]:
Michael Faurot

"Kate" wrote in news:aGTxi.14201$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews9.bellsouth.net:

If you care to spend about $20 on a toy, there's a "Real Power Tool" set out there. The wood and lathe are nice, but the rest is worthless. (Although, I have used the disc sander to sharpen the lathe tools.) It works pretty well as long as you don't ask the lathe to do more than it's designed for.

I found mine at KB Toys.

Here's a site that describes the set:

Turning is addictive. If you get hooked because of this kid's toy, it's not my fault!

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Sun, Aug 19, 2007, 4:04am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@spam.filter (Kate) doth wander in and puzzedly query: On the ABPW group it was suggested that a mini lathe might be made Any ideas or suggestions or idiot (spell that b.l.o.n.d.e) proof instructions would be greatly appreciated!

Oh, for the Gods' sakes, don't "any" of you google any more?

That took all of about 10 seconds to find.

JOAT I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do them.

- Picasso

Reply to
J T

> That took all of about 10 seconds to find.

Why should she Google and waste 10 seconds when you'll do it for her? :)

Reply to
Upscale

JT,

Lighten up. Not everyone is a google master like you. Your 'inspiration' posts are great. I'm often left wondering how you find half the stuff you do.

cj p.s. She did admit to being b.l.o.n.d.e., so lighten up x 2.

Reply to
Joe

But blonde isn't a color, it's a state of mind... or lack thereof....

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I actually did that many years ago when making a doll house table.

Reply to
Lou Newell

Mon, Aug 20, 2007, 11:51am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@valid.com (Joe) doth sayeth: Lighten up. Not everyone is a google master like you. Your 'inspiration' posts are great. I'm often left wondering how you find half the stuff you do. cj p.s. She did admit to being b.l.o.n.d.e., so lighten up x 2.

They purposely made google simple enough so even blondes could use it without instructions. Maybe that was a mistake. Using google ain't rocket science, it's fast, simple, and works - that's why I use it so much and so often.

I've said it before, I'll say it now, and probably say it again. I find , and post, stuff that are side effects of searches I make for my own benefit, and I make a 'lot' of searches. I don't post much of the really good stuff, because it doesn't relate to wood or woodworking. I do a lot of searches steam related, but the other day found one of the strangest contraptions I've ever heard, of that is steam powered - and wasn't even lookiing for anything steam related or even close to that thing. I'd post the link, except I don't want to be know as the guy that post a link to something like that here.

JOAT I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do them.

- Picasso

Reply to
J T

Oh hush now, play nice.

Oh, for the Gods' sakes, don't "any" of you google any more?

That took all of about 10 seconds to find.

JOAT I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do them.

- Picasso

Reply to
Kate

Ya know... That might be a good start. I could let my grandson learn on it, I think he might really get a kick out of it.

I saw one in the Rockler catalog for under $200 that looked like a good idea too.

Thanks for your help. K

If you care to spend about $20 on a toy, there's a "Real Power Tool" set out there. The wood and lathe are nice, but the rest is worthless. (Although, I have used the disc sander to sharpen the lathe tools.) It works pretty well as long as you don't ask the lathe to do more than it's designed for.

I found mine at KB Toys.

Here's a site that describes the set:

Turning is addictive. If you get hooked because of this kid's toy, it's not my fault!

Puckdropper

Reply to
Kate

Fri, Aug 31, 2007, 8:31am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@spam.filter (Kate) doth burble: Oh hush now, play nice.

Hmm, let me see now. On the 19th you ask for some info on lathes, and I quite, in part: "On the ABPW group it was suggested that a mini lathe might be made from a sewing machine motor with a foot pedal control. Do any of you have an idea how something like that could be made, or perhaps a link to a layout? I thereupon proceeded to provide you a link with 170,000 hits regarding homemade lathe plans. For that, I get told to hush. And to play nice.

Not that I was expecting a gush of gratitude, but given a response like yours, if I were you I wouldn't count on a flood of assistance from me in the future. And, to show that I do play nice, here's a blessing upon you and your house - may the Woodworking Gods piss in your wood glue. You have a nice next life.

I'll give you a tip, and no thanks needed. Next time someone is doing something to help you, don't tell them to hush.

JOAT What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new humiliations?

- Peter Egan

Reply to
J T

JT, I'm so sorry.. I had company for the last two weeks and have only today had a chance to sit down here and read a multitude of posts. Many of which offered so much information I have not really had the time to study them let alone reply to.

Here's a big fat hug from an oldish Irish woman, for all of the information you offered... and I will have a look at it, I promise!

I have been up to my ears in people and projects.

Please, remove your curse, and forgive my insensitivity.

Kate

[...]

Thanks JC, I think you fellas here have given me enough info to get me going for now.