It's a Birdhouse,

At

there is a picture of the most recent project to come out of my shop and it's very proud creator.

The young gentleman in the photograph is a week short of his third birthday. He has been fascinated by grandpa's shop ever since he was able to crawl up the stairs. Recently, we have been drilling holes in scrap (always with safety glasses) and clamping scrap in vises and with clamps.

About two weeks ago, I decided he was ready to do something real. Grandpa precut the pieces and drilled pilot holes for screws. Saturday, we laid out the location for holes on the back for mounting and on the front for the door. He drilled them with grandpa steadying the drill. Then he spread the glue where grandpa said and with a little steadying, drove the screws.

Nope, Grandpa ain't proud.

-- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

SonomaProducts.com

What a cute kid. And what a great grandpa. Bird house looks good too. How are you going to finish it? Is grandson going to help?

He will be proud of that birdhouse for the rest of his life. What does his mom think about all of this?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

AWESOME picture.

Reply to
-MIKE-

You tell that strapping young lad that Dave from Saskatoon, Canada says "Nice work!"

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Awwwwwwwwwwww

Reply to
Robatoy

=======

I showed the picture to my wife. She screamed. "That is SO CUTE! He is hugging the birdhouse!"

It is a great picture. You should get some copies made and show it around. Maybe an 8 X 10 glossy to frame and hang someplace. It even has a story to go with it.

Again, thanks for sharing.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Good on you Granpa, too many never bother to teach kids anything then wonder why they are ignorant and worthless. This young man may not grow up to be a natural builder but he will know what tools are and their uses, plus he will always remember the bird house he built with his Grandpa(And hopefully many more projects).

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

And, just think how proud both of you will be after the birdhouse is hung and some birds actually start using it.

Good on both of you.

Reply to
Upscale

Of course you're not.

Good looking birdhouse, and your grandson is a cute kid. It's good that he is already sharing an interest in something constructive.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

You reap what you sow. I know that bad kids can come from good parents and good kids from awful parents, but usually, you reap what you sow. I am truly honored that I am friends with my adult daughters. May it be so with my grandsons.

Not everyone will have interest in "hands on" activities. That's fine. But it bothers me when someone is scared of a screwdriver.

On a selfish level, I feel sorry for anyone who has not known the joy of turning on a light in a young mind. This same weekend, Owen (the young man with the birdhouse) needed some meat cut up on his plate. I started to do it, then put the (very dull) knife in his right hand, moved his fork to the left, and showed him how to do it. He shouted "I am learning".

No, I'm not nuts about my grandsons. Just ask anyone.

-- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

Imparting a delight in learning is something that lasts the child for his lifetime, and allows full development in all directions, IMO. It's a sad experience to see many youngsters no longer delighted with learning about ideas and things. Your grandson is on the right course for a full life.

Reply to
Charlie Self

What a great picture.

I became a grandpa myself just a few months ago, so it'll be a few years before I can post a pictue like that, but I'm already looking forward to it.

Reply-to address is real John

Reply to
John

"Douglas Johnson" wrote

Got a right to be ... that is one precious little boy!

Congratulations, on all counts ... you did good.

Reply to
Swingman

...I concur! *Very* nice exposure and composition. My grandpa taught me some valuable lessons (i.e., *read* the racing form...don't bet; shine your shoes; and always have a little vial of water for the flower in your lapel...) but this one was out of his range. What a lucky kid ya got there!

cg

Reply to
Charlie Groh