instrument cases and parts...

Page 2 of 2

They're not easy to find. A friend of mine, a shooter, has been looking to get a suitable instrument case for ages.
His latest production was "the Black Russian", an enormous leather-trimmed papier-mache codpiece / riflecase, to suit an equally enormous .577 Snider. Laid up with brown Kraft paper over a polystrene foam former it took a huge amount of effort to produce a device of surpassing ugliness. It didn't smell much better either, owing to the quantities of xylene used to dissolve out the foam.
Commercial instrument cases (violins and cellos anyway) these days are rotationally moulded polypropylene. It has _much_ better impact resistance than all the alternatives, including aluminium or GRP. Looks cheap, but it preserves your instrument.
Andy Dingley wrote:

Yeah, there's always the $50 ABS case from Giardinelli, but where's the challenge in that?
On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 00:49:18 -0400, Silvan

Look for briefcase hardware. I've replaced several briefcase latches and I think they are identical to the ones on my son's trumpet case. (too far away right now to go look)
As for building the case, you might also look at briefcase plans (I think Rockler has them) the basic idea is similar and it should get you going in the right direction at least. Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Tim Douglass wrote:

Briefcase. Darmnf. I haven't tried yet, but I wager in advance that's probably the magic word I didn't think to feed google.