Ideas on wood covered travel journal

My son is making a wood covered journal for his GF to take on her semester in India. He has the covers done, 2 ~3/8" pieces of black walnut about 7x9. He has loose pages and a piece of leather. We are trying to figure out how to bind it all together using the leather as the bind. Any ideas on the best way to glue or rivet the paper to the wood and keep the pages together inbetween?
He did a really nice outline of India for the cover in Purpleheart, boy may have a future in this...
-jtpr

The Nov 2005 issue of Wood magazine has an article on creating scrapbook albums from wood. It employs the use of binding posts that could be obtained from any source that carries scrapbook supplies.
todd